Forums are back in action! ×

Peeking Through the Trees to say Hello

Hi!

I am new to the boards and still getting acquainted with the Nerd Fitness site. I am looking forward to getting to know you!

I am trying to learn how to take care of myself, including my body. I run my own business from home, go to school part-time, am married to a wonderful man, am mother to three kids and stepmother to three more.  As you can tell, I keep pretty busy!  In my spare time I like to read, write, and create art. Right now I am studying art and English in school.

In my heart and soul I know I am a nymph, though I might not look exactly as some people would picture a nymph.  :-) I am nearly 36, 5'8", and last time I weighed in was at a little over 204 pounds.  It's heavier than either I or my doctor am comfortable with, so I'm trying to lose some of it. What I really would like to do is to dance.

I used to dance with an international folk dance group, but about three years ago I moved away from them and haven't been able to find a group locally. I am considering taking up pole dancing, but know it would be a lot easier if I was in better shape. Added to that, the pole studio is further away than I want to drive every day, so I need something I can do a little more often. I am not a big exercise fan, especially if it is repetitive. I have tried swimming and hate it.  My knees hate me if I run, so I will need to work up to that.  I do enjoy walking, but have found that I need a little more than just walking to lose weight. Right now I am working with the programs on Darebee, starting with the Foundations program.  I like the variety of workouts (something I enjoyed about Crossfit when I tried that for a little while), especially the themed ones.

Although I don't want to go full-on Paleo, I am working at cutting down the carbs in my diet.  I am trying to adapt the Modern Hero Diet from Darebee into something workable for me...we'll see how it goes.

I am looking forward to the beginning of the next six-week challenge, and I am attempting to ease into fitness gradually as I wait for the "official" start date.  Hope to see you all there!

• Like 1

Welcome :D :D 

And who cares if it's easier when you're in better shape? Live for today :D Find a class, see if they take on novice pole dancers and start building your community.  You are WAY more likely to stick to something if you 1. enjoy it and 2. have a community to push you forward! 

I'm sure they have modifications for those who are new and don't have the strength yet and what better way to build it?! It'll be something exciting to your day and an absolutely fantastic motivator. 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Thank you, Slates! 

Live for today  :D Find a class, see if they take on novice pole dancers and start building your community.  You are WAY more likely to stick to something if you 1. enjoy it and 2. have a community to push you forward! 

So true!  I might look into that, then, in the next week or two. It sounds like fun to me!