Forums are back in action! ×

I've started my Journey, but I'm not sure just where I'm going or how to get there!

I've checked in with NF on and off for probably two years and it's taken a lot of self-motivating to get me to sign up just yesterday, so please bear with me.

I forget how I even came across the NF site, I might have been researching what the paleo diet was as that was the first blog post I remember reading. Before that my main diet was pizza and Mexican food. Fast food maybe once a month, no soda or sweets since I already knew to avoid corn syrup like the plague. I stuck with purely paleo for a couple weeks while my gf watched. I found I had more energy, waking up wanting to do push-ups! But eventually I needed to eat and when she did the shopping she'd bring home frozen pizza or stuff for sandwiches.

Where I'm at: I just turned 35 in the past week, we're getting married in October, we're both sticking to a 90-95% Paleo friendly diet, and we're both exercising. She does yoga, and neither of us are large, but I want to be in better shape. I have an old knee injury that keeps me from running, or at least keeps me from being motivated to run. I'm about 5'10" - 170lbs or under if I had to guess (we don't have a scale in the house and the last time I had a physical was a year ago). Only about a month ago did I decide eating right wasn't enough. I tried the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit detailed on the site here, but I'd get winded pretty quick. Now I try to do the Seven Minute Workout everyday using an app on my phone, but I typically skip a couple days a week. I have felt better, more energy, maybe even fitter, but I know that won't be enough either. I work at a creative advertising agency with sometimes long and unpredictable hours, plus I'm saving for my wedding, so a gym membership is right out. My main vices holding me back are smoking (I know, I know) and alcohol consumption. I don't drink every day, but sometimes on weekends I'll have 3-4 beers in an evening. I try to stick with red wine, but that's not always an option.

Where I'm Going: Honestly, I have no idea. My main purpose in coming on here is that I need guidance. My main goal, even as a kid, is wanting A FLAT STOMACH. I've always had a sof mid-section. I otherwise have a small frame, it's just this darn deflated tire around my waist. I can't even call it a gut, it's just… I don't even know what to call it. It's been a life-long goal of mine to have SOME kind of definition on my stomach, at this point I'd even be happy if it looked more representative to the rest of my body. Other than joining a gym and pretty much dedicating my life to working out, I don't know how to make that happen.

Help me NF, you're my only hope (that I know of at the moment)

• Like 2

Shedding my electrons to stay positive!

Welcome!!!  I'd start with the Level 1 Recruits and start doing the 6-week challenges.  They give structure and a LOT of social accountability.  Plus, they are fun and short in duration.

If gyms are out of the picture - look at the different body weight training programs.  Steve has a bunch of fun themes on the blog here, and also you can go to Darbee to find even more nerd-related workouts. 

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Thanks C-T. Could you possibly point me in the direction of the Level 1 Recruits? I'm having a hard time finding stuff in the forums.

P.S. Do you know why my profile picture won't upload? Is there a size limit?

Shedding my electrons to stay positive!

Welcome :D 

Unfortunately spot reduction doesn't exist so you can't focus all efforts on your middle to get a flat stomach. 

With that said, focusing on diet clean up and overall exercise will help a lot. You don't need to dedicate your life to working out for a flat stomach. With a good diet you can work wonders and with just a few hours of strength training a week you can build some serious muscle. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both