Forums are back in action! ×

Pyro Woot!

I like playing with pyros, always have - my junior school volcano caught fire and my LARP scripted wizard fights had flashpots and fireballs from hilltops. Lately it's been firebreathing and thermite. :evil:

A friend has a solstice bonfire, with booze and wassailing and fire-breathing and stuff. It's become tradition that I light the bonfire with thermite. It started out as an expedient event for testing my composition, but the planned use -- one-shot thermite art casting -- got distracted by the FOOSH! Oh such a lovely foosh.

As you all know from school chemistry, it takes a high-temperature source to ignite thermite. You generally use either a magnesium taper or a bit of pyro composition; schlubs like me use garden sparklers, as the sparks are magnesium hot and Mg tapers are hard to light outdoors. It's a bit close though and I scream and swear when startled by FOOSH so the plan this year? Electric igniters.

Got me some nichrom resistance wire. Wound a coil around a slim former, soldered on some fly-leads, then slid it onto a sparkler. Applied 12v. The wire glows red immediately, the sparkler ignites with perfect control.

WOOT! Houston, we are go for ignition.

That was awesome. But please... be careful of the 'stache. That is too glorious a 'stache to go up in flames.

I highly encourage more youtube videos.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

That was awesome. But please... be careful of the 'stache. That is too glorious a 'stache to go up in flames.

I highly encourage more youtube videos.

Do they make fire rated 'stache protectors? Like a little hard hat? Because that stache needs to be preserved for future generations.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Do they make fire rated 'stache protectors? Like a little hard hat? Because that stache needs to be preserved for future generations.

Seriously, you're killing me today. My coworkers think I've lost it.

Also, I think I have a new product line in mind! Facial hair hard hats! *Teeeheee*

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Doubly dangerous if you've got a waxed moustache. That's a total human-wick spontaneous human combustion threat!

Spent, er, the entire day building and testing my pyro firing box. I really need a better soldering iron. These little butane jobbies are field-expedient but suck compared to even a cheapo mains unit. Still, I have triple-safe heavy 12v making incandescence at a safe distance, which is what is required. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Ready to misbehave. by andygates, on Flickr

Nerd points: the box is a couple of old backup tape cases, and the battery is one scavenged from a UPS that was being retired. :D