Forums are back in action! ×

EAT YOUR... pleeeeeease

I have 5 year old twins. One(Talia) enjoys Brocolli, Cucumber, Avocado etc. The other(Sofie), once upon a time did eat them, but no longer.

I'm not fighting her to eat them at every meal, just still sticking it all in the dish for her to eat.

Ok, so i lied a little bit, i do make her eat at least one or two pieces each meal.

Does anyone have any other techniques to encourage the return of vegetable consumption?

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

I hate the "It tastes weird" my youngest daughter is 11 and I hear that ALL the time. Part of it is that she has allergies and there are times where they really do make things taste weird. Personally I do what my mom did when we were young. I keep some things that I know she will eat around, that I don't have to do a lot of prep on. I insist that she TRYs it and then if she doesn't like it then she can have things from the list.

I am my own evil twin!

~~ Paleo Challenge! ~~ Blog ~~

I am fortunate to have two kids that will try new things, but as they are getting older, they have started to develop their own opinion on food. One rule we have is that everybody is going to get a sample of everything on their plate and no special orders. We let them know that this our dinner and if they choose not to eat they will not have a snack later. It might sound harsh, but I think most of our battles are a battle of wills.

Another thing that works with my four year old is to build up the excitement of trying something new. We start by challenging each other to try it and with her being somewhat adventurous, she eventually tries it. If our kids sincerely try it without the "yucky" face before the bite and they don't like it, we give them permission to leave it on their plate and offer additional helpings of something else on the table. We will go back to that item in a few months to give them a chance to try it again.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

I just kept serving it to them in different ways until I found a way they liked it. Once they got past the mental aspect, they were more open.

Mushrooms, for example - we tried with ranch, ketchup, etc. Finally had success in stir fry. then, it got to where when I would cook mushrooms, I needed to save some raws for the kids to eat. Stir Fry was also the key for Broccoli. Now, they eat it plain and complain if there's butter or salt on it (if we're at a restaurant).

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Guest guest4729

Thanks, forwarded to my wife.

Glad that you like it! This concept also applies to things like eating spicy foods. Some people have more taste buds than others and some have much less. Ever wonder why your friends can eat super duper hot wings but you can only eat mild? It's most likely because of the amount of taste buds you have!

There are some people called "super tasters" who have tons of them and can barely stand hot foods at all. I lie somewhere in the middle - mild wings are enough to set my mouth on fire whereas other people around me just yawn.

Here's more about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2880471.stm

Stir Fry was also the key for Broccoli. Now, they eat it plain and complain if there's butter or salt on it (if we're at a restaurant).

Stir fry is indeed an excellent weapon.

Another thing that works with my four year old is to build up the excitement of trying something new. We start by challenging each other to try it and with her being somewhat adventurous, she eventually tries it. If our kids sincerely try it without the "yucky" face before the bite and they don't like it, we give them permission to leave it on their plate and offer additional helpings of something else on the table. We will go back to that item in a few months to give them a chance to try it again.

That is something i'll be doing as well. Psych each other up for dinner.

I haven't listened to that podcast or watched the video yet, but that is on the cards for this evening.

Cheers for all the info.

now.. on to the next problem, tantrumming toddlers:mad:

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

We've always had veggie problems with my 5yo.

Try the presentation.

Face plates helped a little bit because colorful hair and jewelry is always more fun than the plain brown and yellow of chicken tenders and mac-n-cheese.

Our other trick is to make smoothies for the family. Strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and milk is our standard. Then just add as much fresh spinach leaves as your blender will fit. You can get a serving or two of greens and there is no taste difference (at least that I can tell). I would suggest that you put it into an opaque cup with a colored straw though because the spinach turns the smoothie a nasty color, and that sometimes makes my kids not want to drink it. If they don't see the color, then they don't care.

Ranger - Rheno - Rising Hero

Here here, for the fruit smoothies. Frozen fruit + plain yogurt = the most delicious thing ever. We add kale, as well, and the tiny green bits are vritually unnoticeable if you use enough berries.

Also, separated /divided plates. They make three- and four-portion plates, and we've had a lot of luck putting fruit, veggies, and assorted tasty dips (even just mustard) in them. The veggies don't seem nearly so intimidating, and with small portions it's much easier to say "You can have more sausage when the carrot tray is empty".

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Also, separated /divided plates. They make three- and four-portion plates, and we've had a lot of luck putting fruit, veggies, and assorted tasty dips (even just mustard) in them. The veggies don't seem nearly so intimidating, and with small portions it's much easier to say "You can have more sausage when the carrot tray is empty".

We do that. Also if she helps make the dinner, she's more likely to eat some of everything without making the yuck face.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Guest Gemeaux

At my school ( I teach 3-5 yr olds ) I sing songs about veggies , find funny books including them too . Some parents put food color on the veggies to make it appealing . Or I tell them that batman loves his veggies and eats them to fight crime .

I would maybe try growing your own veggies with the kids and let them be involved . They will feel proud they grew their own !

I forgot to mention that, but yeah, we gave the kids each their own square foot garden (4' x 4' raised bed) and they grew stuff in it, and they ate almost everything they grew themselves. My middle kid is hooked on radishes now because of that.

Hmmmm.. my approach is a little different. I do offer a variety of easy to cook or raw vegetables, but other than that, my kids just know that this is one of those things you don't argue with dad about. My main line here is, "If you're not hungry, then it's time to go to bed, because you must be sick. Of course you can't have dessert."

When we play, we play, and we play crazy. When it's time to do the right thing, that happens too. And there's always plenty of love and affection.

My kids *love* vegetables, search them out to a certain extent. You should see my son go after those baby tomatoes. We don't use butter or salt, either. Yes, I try to build up some excitement mainly by showing how much *I* love them. Asparagus is a bit hit in our house. Even the teenager doesn't give attitude about them, though she likes some more than others, as I do.

"If you're not hungry, then it's time to go to bed, because you must be sick. Of course you can't have dessert."

When we play, we play, and we play crazy. When it's time to do the right thing, that happens too. And there's always plenty of love and affection.

Ditto :) My kids didn't really start OUT loving vegetables, but we got them there, or at least the older two. The youngest will live off of apples, bananas and carrots, which I guess is pretty good, but the problem we're having now is expanding the variety of what they'll eat.