Forums are back in action! ×

Disc golf tournament, I came in third!!

So I play disc golf, and last night at a local tournament I placed third in the women's division!! My score was only two strokes away from the winner, so it was very close. This is the first time in a tournament that I didn't place last. I'm excited, and just more motivated to get that daily practice in.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

I had no idea what disk golf is so I looked it up and it looks a lot of fun! Congrats on your placing, it's great when you get to see progress and your practice has definitely been paying off!

Thank you!  I've had another one of those epiphany kind of things with my playing.  Particularly where putting is concerned... it seemed like my putts into the basket always pulled to the right, no matter what I did.  Discovered yesterday that I'm flicking my wrist to the right when I spin the disc, rather than just using my fingers under the disc to spin it.  AHA!!  After that, I held my wrist rigid while putting, and it aided me in dropping my score below my +20 handicap.  Also, I won the bet with my hubby and he had to make dinner.  <big grin>

Woot, all that practice/training really helped.

We were just talking about this yesterday, Elastigirl.  It used to be that I just wanted to get out on the course and play a round.  Practicing?  That was for people who were serious about the game.  Well, now I'm more interested in practicing than I thought I ever would be.  Someone told me once that you can't learn proper technique in any sport without practicing those techniques, over and over again.  Batters do it in the cage;  basketball players shoot hoops over and over.  Golfers go to the driving range or putting green.  Suddenly, I understood!  

So I've promised myself two new things: first, that I'll never go to a league night or tournament "cold".  I'll always get in some practice for at least half an hour beforehand, because it is critical to lowering my score in the actual round.  Second thing is to remember that playing doesn't build skills; practice does. 

Well done!

Thank you, Tanktimus!  Love your player name.  LOL.  

• Like 1

Thank you!  I've had another one of those epiphany kind of things with my playing.  Particularly where putting is concerned... it seemed like my putts into the basket always pulled to the right, no matter what I did.  Discovered yesterday that I'm flicking my wrist to the right when I spin the disc, rather than just using my fingers under the disc to spin it.  AHA!!  After that, I held my wrist rigid while putting, and it aided me in dropping my score below my +20 handicap.  Also, I won the bet with my hubby and he had to make dinner.  <big grin>

We were just talking about this yesterday, Elastigirl.  It used to be that I just wanted to get out on the course and play a round.  Practicing?  That was for people who were serious about the game.  Well, now I'm more interested in practicing than I thought I ever would be.  Someone told me once that you can't learn proper technique in any sport without practicing those techniques, over and over again.  Batters do it in the cage;  basketball players shoot hoops over and over.  Golfers go to the driving range or putting green.  Suddenly, I understood!  

So I've promised myself two new things: first, that I'll never go to a league night or tournament "cold".  I'll always get in some practice for at least half an hour beforehand, because it is critical to lowering my score in the actual round.  Second thing is to remember that playing doesn't build skills; practice does. 

Thank you, Tanktimus!  Love your player name.  LOL.  

It is so exciting to see you go from a hobby player to someone who is really enjoying not just the game, but the competition. Can't wait to see your progress!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

It is so exciting to see you go from a hobby player to someone who is really enjoying not just the game, but the competition. Can't wait to see your progress!

This just really encouraged me when I read it the other day, and it's been on my mind.  Thank you-- sometimes little words mean alot.  

Yesterday I had a 200 foot drive.  That's huge!  My tee shots are usually 125-150 feet.  (For comparison, professional female dg players usually throw 275-350 foot drives.)  I'm still struggling with consistency in my form, but that's not surprising from a novice player.  Practice, practice, practice. My goal is to improve my consistency enough that in October, I'll join the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association) and play in sanctioned tournaments in order to build a rating.  It'll be small, but it'll be a step in the right direction.  My ultimate goal?  To play well enough that I can compete in the regional recreational division against men in A-tier events and be in the top 100, and play well enough in the women's division to be in the top 5.  

• Like 1

This just really encouraged me when I read it the other day, and it's been on my mind.  Thank you-- sometimes little words mean alot.  

Yesterday I had a 200 foot drive.  That's huge!  My tee shots are usually 125-150 feet.  (For comparison, professional female dg players usually throw 275-350 foot drives.)  I'm still struggling with consistency in my form, but that's not surprising from a novice player.  Practice, practice, practice. My goal is to improve my consistency enough that in October, I'll join the PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association) and play in sanctioned tournaments in order to build a rating.  It'll be small, but it'll be a step in the right direction.  My ultimate goal?  To play well enough that I can compete in the regional recreational division against men in A-tier events and be in the top 100, and play well enough in the women's division to be in the top 5.  

^^^So much awesome!

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I had no idea pro disc golf was a thing. That's awesome about your form and distance improving.  From your name, I assume you are a pterry fan?

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I had no idea pro disc golf was a thing. That's awesome about your form and distance improving. From your name, I assume you are a pterry fan?

Oh Tanktimus. You pushed my happy place button. Pro disc golf is definitely a thing. For your viewing pleasure:

https://youtu.be/AHVF5cFDOEU

I'm lucky enough to have a dozen dg courses in a 30 minute drive radius, and this year our local club's Ledgestone Tournament is drawing not only every top tier US professional disc golfer as well as some international players, but it will have the distinction of having the largest payout in the history of the game.

That being said, as an international sport, it's still relatively young - only 50 years. So it doesn't get sponsorship from companies like Red Bull or Nike yet. Right now, sponsorship is mainly by disc golf manufacturers. But major sponsors will be coming. We're starting to see snippets of tournament play show up on ESPN and CBS Sports. There are many disc golf channels on YouTube that carry tournaments and instructional videos (although some recording quality is great, and others are crap - SpinTV is good, if you want one suggestion).

Average People are starting to hear about the sport; they pick up a Frisbee, find a course, run into local players who are passionate about the game, and it multiplies from there.

It's a relatively cheap sport to get into - 95% of the world's courses are at city parks, and it's free to play. You just show up and start, dawn to dusk. Beginners should start throwing with a putter, because it's the most forgiving of the different disc types. Putters cost about $8 to $18, depending on where you get them and what brand they are. But if you want to get more invested, beginner disk kits are $30, which includes 3 discs - a driver, a midrange, and a putter. (I recommend the Innova, Dynamic Discs, or Discraft beginner sets). If you want a shoulder bag to carry your discs, those are about $15 to $20. But a backpack also works fine. You can find discs at sporting goods stores, record shops, and disc golf shops. Also online at Amazon, Disc Nation, even local clubs will sell their new and used discs cheap on Facebook.

To find courses, all you have to do is Google disc golf and your city. Or go to dgcoursereview.com to search for courses in your area.

Lastly, changing subjects to Discworld (no relation to previous subject) - yes, I'm a Pratchett fan! My game character is a mashup of Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax.

Sent from my Samsung S4 using Tapatalk.