Forums are back in action! ×

Hashing, anyone?

So I've recently taken up hashing with my husband. I started off on the turkey trail (walking, usually through suburban areas with some shiggy crossings), but the past two weekends I've gone eagle (running, usually through as much shiggy as the hare(s) can manage). It just feels like the beer has been earned, now. :P This upcoming weekend will be my 6th hash with this group, and I'm already scheduled to hare next month (both requirements for naming). I may genuinely be terrified of what name I end up with - between my husband, my friend from Korea (who has been a hasher for years - and also happens to be my husband's best friend's brother!) and his husband, PLUS all the prior and active military hashers.... I am so. screwed. X-D

Any other NF hashers around? C'mon, Tusconians - I've already met a few jHavelinas. Surely there's a NFer among them?

Evicious, Khajjit Ranger STR 7 | DEX 13 | STA 3 | CON 6 | WIS 16 | CHA 4

Current 4WC: Evicious: The Unburdening II + Blitz Week!

Fitocracy! I Play To Win!

Keep up the momentum!

I had to look this up. I had never heard of it, but it sounds like a ton of fun! ☺ï¸

• Like 2

Dwarvish Assassin

Level 12

Start: 184 /BMI 32.6 /Body fat % 51.

Now: 163/BMI 27.6/Body fat % 39.

“You can pay me in handstands. Exercise is now a legitimate form of currency.â€- Ancient D.Paladin Proverb

It really is a great time! Of course, much of the experience depends on the people in the group (like every other group-based experience). We happen to have a good one; very diverse, very accepting (the #1 rule is mutual respect among the members), and very enthusiastic. I like that I can walk OR run - or both, if I feel so inclined - without any judgement. More practically, I like that I can drink and party it up OR I can just have water, and no one cares one whit. Basically, as long as people are enjoying themselves, no one puts any pressure on anyone to else to change how they're having fun. This probably isn't a very novel social situation for the more well-adjusted groups in the world, but it's a wonderfully bizarre experience for me (at least in relation to the military social life).

Our Saturday hash is the "family" one, and it is by far my favorite. Lots of people bring their anklebiters (both human and canine :P); the trail is always an adventure; and the circle afterwards can provide upwards of three hours of entertainment and general hilarity. Not bad for $2 on a weekend!

Keep up the momentum!

There are hash groups all over the world. A quick search on the internetz will bring up those closest to your location. :)

I did that straight away. The nearest one to me is about 30 miles away and they haven't updated their info for a long time so I'm not sure if they're still going. I'm going to add hashing to my lists of things to do.

• Like 1

If you have trouble finding a kennel in your immediate area, don't hesitate to get in contact with outlying ones. Hashers often go hashing with different kennels than their own, and if there is a kennel near you that isn't advertising, those other kennels will know about it and will happily put you in touch with someone. Also, if you see people wearing whistles and bead necklaces, socks up to (or past) their knees, and they're running around like they're lost, occasionally stopping to scribble strange symbols on the road or sidewalk - Congratulations! You've found hashers! :D

You may also notice this foot as a car magnet, a tattoo, etc.

cropped-PS007-onon_foot_plasma-12.jpg

This is pretty much the official hash symbol. If you find one of these, you have found someone who either is, or knows, a hasher.

Here's a quick pic of some symbols you may find. These are used by the kennel up in Phoenix, but my kennel uses most of them as well. Just keep in mind that every kennel has their own variations, and often their own unique symbols as well. You can google "Chalk Talk" to see the range of possibilities.

Portable_Chalk_Talk.png

Keep up the momentum!