Forums are back in action! ×

Cardio with a knee injury?

Hi, 

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right area, please let me know if I'm not!

So over the last couple of months I've been doing a bit of running to go along with my usual weight training.  However, the day after a run (it's fine during the run itself, maybe a slight dull ache) my right knee will be in agony to the point where I struggle going up and down the stairs.  I'm seeing my doctor about this Monday but I know he's probably going to advise that I rest it for a few weeks or so.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good cardio workouts I could do that wouldn't put too much stress on it in the meantime.  Bearing in mind I don't want to hinder the recovery at all because as long as I'm resting it, I can't do dealifts or squats.

I was thinking of possibly doing 10 minutes of kettlebell swings after my normal weights workouts.  Any other ideas?

Many thanks in advance...

know anywhere with a punch bag ... its quite easy to stay off a leg whilst working a bag .. and will knacker you out

Sandbag straight leg deadlift in to clean and over head press, repeat .. keep the weight light to turn it into resistance cardio

circuits of pullups, pressups and chin ups

Also .. have you access to a rowing maching (erg) .... give it ago, mine works wonders for rehab as there is no compression on joints and its easy to get a very good long workout without stressing tendons, muscles etc ... might not work in your case not knowing what your knee is doing, but I have found that the rower works wonders on my knee and ankle pains in the past

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge