Forums are back in action! ×

The Universe told me to start over

Story time.

Saturday night I realized (for the 327th time) that I needed to start eating better. Why? Because I want to look hot. Duh. So yesterday I had a solid lunch (grilled chicken and a mixed green salad), found a recipe for dinner, and then went grocery shopping at around 1 and got everything I needed.

Cue 5 o'clock when I had decided I was going to start cooking. And what do I do? Decide, "Screw this, I'm going to go get fast food." As I'm driving the 4 miles to the nearest Taco Bell (and getting stopped at every single light because the city I live in sucks) I was continually trying to figure out how I could better convince myself to actually cook instead of going out to get crappy food. I came up with jack, and started pulling into the drive-through. Before I actually got there, however, I realized something: I didn't have my wallet. I had pulled it out because it had been bothering me to sit on it, which happens only very, very rarely. A sign, right?

Of course not, I'm still a fat kid at heart.

So as I'm driving home, ready to grab my wallet and return to Taco Bell, I realize that I am, in fact, an idiot. This was the Universe's equivalent of Dean Vernon telling me that fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life.

So I'm back. When I first started here I made some really good progress over the course of a year. I don't think that I ever succeeded in more than a single goal during a challenge, but I at least progressed. I made slightly better choices. I lost a bit of weight. I got stronger.

But eventually I stopped doing challenges. I've made several attempts to get back into this, but never kept it up. This time it'll be different. Because I still have some healthy habits: I eat a healthy breakfast or nothing at all. I eat a healthy lunch 3-4 days per week. I've been running* a couple of times a week, though I'm still way behind where I was when I stopped running last year. So I'm starting from a better place than I have in the past, and I have better motivation this time. It probably won't be pretty, and it definitely won't be perfect, but it will be everything that I've got. 

Now I've just got to keep up my motivation for the week until the next challenge. Or maybe I'll start early. I've always been a bit of a rebel, and everyone knows that 7 is the most magical number. It certainly worked for Tom Riddle.

Oh, wait...

*"Running" is probably not technically the proper word for the slow, awkward, painful thing that I call "going for a run"

• Like 3

Level 3 Ranger

STR: 6 | DEX: 3 | STA: 9 | CON: 4 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 5

Current Challenge

Welcome back!!!

You've already made the decision that you want to try and that's huge. :)  Rock on.

If you're looking for friends to hold you accountable and that will cheer with you through your accomplishments (and help you through the rough times), these forums are hands down the place to be.  Don't be afraid to start a battle log, or a 6 week challenge, no matter how small or tiny you think the goals may be because they're going to be your building blocks so you will eventually be able to drive by Taco Bell cackling madly. You got this!!

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Welcome back! Small changes that last are the best kind. Set very makeable goals for yourself and let there be a slow progression. It is amazing how fast all of the small changes will add up. But focus on making the changes something you can maintain. Things that can turn into lifestyle changes, not just a 6 week fast from your demons.

For me that meant allowing myself a "cheat" day, like... I wanted to cut my calorie intake, but rather than a zero tolerance policy on ALL THE THINGS, I allowed myself to drink once a week. Reward yourself for your success, but also make sure that you are heading in the direction you want to be.

Level 14 -- Yeti Ranger -- STR 30.25 | DEX 12.00 | STA 21.00 | CON 14.75 | WIS 18.00 | CHA 7.50

Current Challenge -- Previous Challenges -- My Epic Quest -- Album of Holding -- About Me