Forums are back in action! ×

CHRONOLOGICALLY BLESSED

... and goes without saying: write your measurements down! ;)

the machine saves the last 30 with the time of measuring :-) It was only a tenner and it's the same as the one the dr uses.

I panic when the cuff starts tightening though! No matter how much I try to relax it's almost impossible. I'll put it next to the bed and start tracking properly tomorrow.

STR 8 | DEX 4 | STA 7 | CON 6 |  WIS 9.75 | CHA 10.5
Current challenge | Accountable to chronologically blessed

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016
Quest 1 - Misfit to 800 4 days out of 7

0%
0%
Quest 2 - Mindfulness daily

0%
0%

Quest 3 - Veg with every meal, 2 pints of water a day

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Silverwitch, we have this I common too - my mum is also in the early stages of Alzheimer's. And because she had a triple heart bypass some years ago, she still regards fat as very bad. She is slim, for sure, but she and my dad do eat a lot of carbs and sugar although the latter at least mainly in home baked goods so perhaps not as evil as mass produced stuff. Dunno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I think homemade stuff is still better than the mass produced cr*p… 

My father fortunately informed himself a lot about nutrition, and tries to get my mom to eat less carbs. The problem is: I could explain stuff to her, but she responds to it only when she is her true self. She has phases of her disease where she is convinced that everyone around her is "evil" including me and my husband. Whenever she loses something, it "has been stolen" either by me or my husband or whoever was in the house. This went so far that husband and I were last time in my parents' house for last Christmas… at least, most of the time, she trusts my father...

Sometimes, she responds well to what I say, sometimes I can tell I should better go. She can be enormously mean (verbally) when she is in one of her "phases."

Makes it sort of hard dealing with her sometimes.

And it was really bad last year, when it all started. Part of why I stopped being active here. It was simply all too much. 

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Do you have one of those haemodynamometers (what a word, but that is what the translation program gave me...) for at home use to measure your blood pressure on a regular basis? Maybe it would be wise to monitor it a bit, and to check some sort of circadian profile of your blood pressure?

"White coat hypertension" (that's what we call it in Germany, if seeing the doctor aggravates it) alone would not be a problem, but if it is at home constantly too high... hmm, I would want to get that checked and maybe treated, too.

I mean, if you see the doctor anyway, why not take care of anything health related that requires a visit to the doctor?

White coat hypertension works in the USA as well. Takes me at least 3 visits with a Dr to calm.down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This might be clutching at straws.

is it possible that I cant lose weight/inches because I am stressed and my blood pressure us high because im fat and stressed.... so, if I can lower my blood pressure I might be able to lose weight/inches.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I don't think that this is clutching at straws.

Elevated Cortisol = being stressed plays an important role in weight loss. The relationship between stress and blood pressure is more known than the relationship between stress and weight, except the part when people think about binge eating and eating out of frustration.

Cortisol can: block good sleep, mess with regularity of cycle, mess with blood pressure, weight loss, heart rhythm (oh yeah...) and even memory. So keeping the bad guy under control is one important step to a more balanced life.

I guess we have a similar problem: we could probably both sell Cortisol by the can...

Therefore, I will most likely dedicate my next challenge to keeping Cortisol more contained.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

I don't think that this is clutching at straws.

Elevated Cortisol = being stressed plays an important role in weight loss. The relationship between stress and blood pressure is more known than the relationship between stress and weight, except the part when people think about binge eating and eating out of frustration.

Cortisol can: block good sleep, mess with regularity of cycle, mess with blood pressure, weight loss, heart rhythm (oh yeah...) and even memory. So keeping the bad guy under control is one important step to a more balanced life.

I guess we have a similar problem: we could probably both sell Cortisol by the can...

Therefore, I will most likely dedicate my next challenge to keeping Cortisol more contained.

I've been really working hard on my sleep hygene and I sleep much better now than this time last year but I'm still fat :-)

How will you contain your Cortisol? I meditate, walk daily, do yoga, nap if I need to.......nothing seems to be making a difference

So, shall I go to the Dr and tell them I've been trying to lose weight to lower my blood pressure but that hasn't worked so would it be possible to try the other way round - lower my blood pressure to lose weight.

Are blood pressure meds likely to make me gain weight?

When I say weight I mean inches as well :-) I know it's not all about the scale, which I now ignore anyway.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Most scales are rubbish anyway... or how can one explain that at the doctor's office one almost always weighs more than at home (on same day in same underwear)?

If stress is the key to your problems, then anything that helps to lower stress hormone levels will help. As soon as stress goes down (or you manage to cope with it - yoga, meditation, whatever), blood pressure goes down, weight (and inches) will follow.

I know that betablockers (such as metoprolol and others, easily identified because the substance names always end on "-olol") can slow down metabolism and make people gain weight.

But if your hypertension is just a moderate one, trying to reduce stress hormone level will help already, and you don't necessarily need medication.

I'm quoting my brother the family physician again, he tries to keep people away from meds as long as possible and firmly believes that there are in 9 out of 10 cases other possibilities to control blood pressure. Meds always have some sort of side effect, so whenever one can deal without them, one should do that.

If cortisol = stress is the reason for stalling weight loss, pharmaceutical blood pressure reduction won't help in the long run, because you just treat the symptom, not the cause (=> the stress).

Last but not least, the pill can be the culprit, too... I hate to say that.

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Most scales are rubbish anyway... or how can one explain that at the doctor's office one almost always weighs more than at home (on same day in same underwear)?

If stress is the key to your problems, then anything that helps to lower stress hormone levels will help. As soon as stress goes down (or you manage to cope with it - yoga, meditation, whatever), blood pressure goes down, weight (and inches) will follow.

I know that betablockers (such as metoprolol and others, easily identified because the substance names always end on "-olol") can slow down metabolism and make people gain weight.

But if your hypertension is just a moderate one, trying to reduce stress hormone level will help already, and you don't necessarily need medication.

I'm quoting my brother the family physician again, he tries to keep people away from meds as long as possible and firmly believes that there are in 9 out of 10 cases other possibilities to control blood pressure. Meds always have some sort of side effect, so whenever one can deal without them, one should do that.

If cortisol = stress is the reason for stalling weight loss, pharmaceutical blood pressure reduction won't help in the long run, because you just treat the symptom, not the cause (=> the stress).

Last but not least, the pill can be the culprit, too... I hate to say that.

arsecakes, it's all so complicated!

I really do think I'm doing everything possible to lower my stress levels, given that I'm a self employed single parent to an autistic child :-)

I could make the meditation more structured, I could go to bed earlier still, I have cut down on work and only do 16 hours a week at the moment, I can't afford to do less.

The NHS ran a stress management course I went on a few years ago. You had to get passed in, sign in and passed out so you were basically locked in. The course was held in a room with only one exit and no windows, all of that in itself made me feel even more stressed and claustrophobic! They gave you hand outs that were upside down and back to front as you tried to read them because someone had photocopied them wrong, which were also rather stressful. It would have been pure comedy if only it wasn't so sad.

Meds are a very last resort for me but what I'm doing now isn't working.

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

I'm getting impatient to start my first challenge! I've got September off to a good start - lots of steps walked, and a really good strength workout at the gym today. Also eating cleaner after the holiday pizza and white bread overload.

Surprisingly I hadn't actually gained any weight but I suspect I have lost a little bit of muscle and gained a little bit of body fat. So eating clean and doing strength stuff is the way to go.

• Like 2

have we a date for the next challenge yet? I'm just putting in a tiny bit of effort to get my stats up to 50% I've really run out of steam, would like to start afresh for the next time.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

have we a date for the next challenge yet? I'm just putting in a tiny bit of effort to get my stats up to 50% I've really run out of steam, would like to start afresh for the next time.

Yes, the date for the next challenge is set… found it yesterday. After this challenge is a one week break, and then the next one starts on 14th of September. Look HERE and scroll a bit up to the post from Teros.

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Oh seven, it hurts just reading about the burst bakers cyst!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

It was just weird, and then painful. All good now, but will be finishing the course of anti-inflammatories. Stopped them when my knee felt better ( did the man thing, feels great I will stop medication now ), back to being a bit tight.

Not sure if I'm up for another Challenge. Can't think of any goals right now, then again it might just be my hypothermia brain not functioning properly, even when I am not in the pool today.

• Like 1

Wait! What............?

Seven, will you get away without operation? I mean removing of remnants of the cyst? A friend of mine had to have surgery to remove remnants of the cyst, because it impaired the range of movement in her knee. After that she recovered quickly and now she is totally fine. 

Thinking more and more about the next challenge… most likely I will do mostly druid-ish stuff. Yoga, Pilates and focussing on getting more relaxed and work on decluttering not only my surroundings but also my mind. Feeling like a headless chicken these days with fulltime job and a long commute. So it will be sports and nutrition as well, but more focus on becoming less "haywire" in daily life...

Scumspawn, you were pretty successful with decluttering your home … I gladly take any advice you can give on this topic! :)

• Like 1

FLUCTUAT  NEC  MERGITUR

FUELED BY PALEO

Scumspawn, you were pretty successful with decluttering your home … I gladly take any advice you can give on this topic! :)

can I spam on here - www.whataworld.co.uk - the aim is to get rid of 5 things a day every day and it mounts up without being stressful. I have a box in the hallway, where I see it every day and everytime I see something I don't like, need or want I put it in the box. When the box is full it goes to the charity shop. Total rubbish goes in the bin. Though I'm just thinking about trying this method - http://goop.com/the-illustrated-guide-to-the-kondo-mari-method/ which I'd revise a little - this method suggests you get all your stuff in one place, so ALL your clothes in one room all out on the floor, then you go through them and hold them - if you don't totally love them you get rid of them.

If I got all my clothes out (I've a degree in Fashion and Textiles, I love clothes!) I would probably need more than one room and it would be way too daunting. I thought I might go through rail 1 (yes, I have more than 1 rail) and prune that when I go through and put the summer things away. I'm so fat now that hardly anything fits anyway so that needs to be put away too.

• Like 1

Progress bars below!

Feb 2016

0%
0%

0%
0%

0%
0%
Life Goal - Self Care
0%
0%

Yeah we can be the Wyrd Sisters - when shall we three meet again and all that!

My goals are along the lines of:

Do three strength workouts a week - one of which will be in the gym with personal trainer, others maybe at home or in the gym, if we get some decent autumn weather I may even try do some outdoors.

Keep my daily average at ar least 10,000 steps.

Do one intervals session a week - rowing intervals or sprints or hill sprints.

Level up my life - stop fiddling about on electronic devices late at night, switch everything off no later than 11 pm and read a book - an actual paper one - until I feel sleepy.

Eat clean but eat lots as I (amazingly) have not put on any weight over the summer which I suspect means I have lost some muscle).

• Like 1