Forums are back in action! ×

I am Runner, Hear me ROAR

I was a distance runner in high school. I kind of kept with it on and off in college, but I twisted my knee playing soccer and then again in racquetball, so I started biking instead. I love biking, and I'm glad I took it up, but I've always missed running. Now and then I would try, but my knees would always bother me.

I've always run on my heels. I know, I know, but I did. Then this barefoot running thing got big, but Vibram's just look so weird, plus they're out of my price range. And then I found the New Balance Minimus on sale for $35. (I know, right? Sierra Trading Post closeout sale, go grab a pair!)

I've always run in New Balance shoes so I jumped all over that. My new shoes came today and I immediately loved them. Seriously, I didn't know it was possible to form such a strong and instant attachment, but I LOVE these shoes. I strapped them on and took them for a one mile test jog.

My high school self would laugh at me for being this proud over a one mile run, but I haven't done any serious running in almost five years. And I just breezed through one mile without any pain. I did take it slow, and focused really hard to making light contact with the ground, all of which these shoes helped with. And now my calves are burning a little, but that's normal. And when I found that extra gear to top the final hill and finish my first mile in four years? Oh yeah, there was a little roaring there. I'm running again!

• Like 1

"For God did not give us a spirit of fear; but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline". - 2 Timothy 1:7

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." -Gandalf