Forums are back in action! ×

The NERDEE with ETFnerd - An exercise I made up; lmk what you think

ETF, when do you sleep? I've got a teething baby in my lap or I'd be in bed.

Doing a Nerdee is my new epic fitness goal. My old epic goal was to do a handstand pushup, but you just turned it up to 11.

That's an awesome idea for an epic fitness goal! ETF, look what you've started.

And uh.. is a pair of merlot colored spandex? Who's taping you, btw?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

There's a dude lifting in the back in attempt 3 of 4 who's stops and watches. I'd be laughing so hard when I was thing these if I were you. I may have to try these out next week.

Try moving the step board under the bag more, you probably want your hands right under you leg support so you'll stop falling that way.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Do people look at you funny? I would.

The second attempt was my favourite :D

I don't really know what people are doing while I'm attempting it because I'm focused on not killing myself, but it seems from the videos that most people look for a second and then move on to their business.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

There's a dude lifting in the back in attempt 3 of 4 who's stops and watches. I'd be laughing so hard when I was thing these if I were you. I may have to try these out next week.

Try moving the step board under the bag more, you probably want your hands right under you leg support so you'll stop falling that way.

Yeah, I know him. He's a bodybuilder and if the picture was clearer you'd be able to see that he's jacked. Probably 6'3", 220lbs and 6%bf. He's trying to get his IFBB pro card. There are a couple of guys in the gym that have pro cards. He was surprised at what I was doing and we talked for a few minutes off camera afterwards. Told him I could do 50 pulls but couldn't do one handstand pushup. He told me he couldn't do 50 pulls, but that's not what his goal is. He offered some advice on ohp and he thought it was cool that I was trying it. He laughed when I told him that the disguise was for youtube.

I've been adjusting the position of the step. In my first video it was a lot closer to the bag, and each of the 3 takes had the step at slightly different distance from the bag. The handstand push up isn't straight up. As I go down dipping below my hands, I am moving towards the bag and as I press up, especially when I try to go to lock out when my head is above the level of my hands, I'm moving away from the bag. I think I have the right distance now, but I don't have enough strength in the last six inches of the press to be able to lock out my arms. I've also been trying different hand positions (wider & narrower). Just gotta keep pluggin...

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

I just gave it a try, knowing I wouldn't be able to do the press (still a good 100 pound short of my weight on that one). I took a video, no way I'm posting it though. I need to find a higher vantage plowing to do it from because I couldn't get all the way vertical in the hang.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Here is today's (almost) daily installment of comedic relief where I almost fall on my head trying to complete this exercise. Hope the attempts don't get deep into the triple digits before I am able to complete it. :)

Guest Snake McClain

can you do a defecit handstand pushup when not hanging from a bag?

if you are asking me then the answer is no. if you're asking ETF then i will answer for him and say yes. He does them by the dozens.

if you are asking me then the answer is no. if you're asking ETF then i will answer for him and say yes. He does them by the dozens.

I was asking for ETF. And I'm thinking the answer is no, which means for safetys sake he shouldn't even be attempting this.

However, I'll keep my mouth shut since the videos are hilarious :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I was asking for ETF. And I'm thinking the answer is no, which means for safetys sake he shouldn't even be attempting this.

Never attempted one, but I can be pretty sure that I can't do one. The bag provides a lot of stability. I figure once I can do it while using the bag, I'll probably be able to do them without the bag. Baby steps... I focus a lot on safety so I'm kind of exagerating the danger if only because I've done over 1,000 situps hanging upside down on the punching bag in the past few weeks. I feel pretty safe up there and the times when I've lost balance, I can generally roll, hand-walk it out or land on my elbow and not my head. Having said that, it is pretty dangerous so I discourage other people from trying it "for fun". Be smart and don't risk unnecessary injury.

However, I'll keep my mouth shut since the videos are hilarious :)

Thanks... I think...

Never attempted one, but I can be pretty sure that I can't do one. The bag provides a lot of stability. I figure once I can do it while using the bag, I'll probably be able to do them without the bag. Baby steps... I focus a lot on safety so I'm kind of exagerating the danger if only because I've done over 1,000 situps hanging upside down on the punching bag in the past few weeks. I feel pretty safe up there and the times when I've lost balance, I can generally roll, hand-walk it out or land on my elbow and not my head. Having said that, it is pretty dangerous so I discourage other people from trying it "for fun". Be smart and don't risk unnecessary injury.

Thanks... I think...

i'd practice against a wall. or do overhead presses.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

i'd practice against a wall. or do overhead presses.

In the past, heavy OHP (and squats, and weighted calf raises) messed with my back. I prefer this method b/c I think it's a little easier on my back. You'll be old one day too... OHP would probably be faster in getting there, but I'm not in a hurry and I like to take the fun route over the fast route. For me it's about the journey as well as the destination. It's important to me that I take an interesting road... I no longer want to grind out workouts, but have as much fun as possible.

Landing on the tip of your elbow can shatter it if you ever fall hard enough on concrete.

I'm on carpet and I'd rather shatter my elbow rather than my neck or head. It's also elbow/forearm at the same time. Having said that, I can control my bw on the bag pretty well with my legs. I've become an expert at the slow slide of shame down the bag. :)

I've also done jiu-jitsu and aikido for years and I am very comfortable with breaking falls.

So I decided I had to try this after seeing your vids. Don't have a punching bag station, and the wife wouldn't let me use the smith machine like I wanted in case I fell. Ended up putting a bench against a wall so I could get lower than my hands and with the extra stability of the wall I was able to do four singles (just the presses, no sit ups). They will be replacing my OHP for a while, thanks for the inspiration.

Squats are the bacon of fitness, they make everything better. - CoreyD