Forums are back in action! ×

2011 A Book a Week - DONE!

So last Solstice season as part of my year end review I decided that I wanted to read a lot more new books this coming year. Not the I don't enjoy picking up old favorites as well but my goal was to read at least once completely new book or novella or short story compilation a week for all of 2011.

Well I just finished new book number 52! And at the rate I'm working on the ones I am reading now I suspect I'll get another one or 2 done before the end of the year.

I'm going to try to keep up the momentum, and expand on it a bit I want to finish 64 new books in 2012, one for each week plus a bonus of one a month.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Way to go! That's fantastic!!

And agreed. A list would be awesome if you're so inclined. And if you recall which books you enjoyed most I would also love to hear that :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

OK Here's the list this includes some short stories but does not include some reference books I read partly but not cover to cover nor any of the old favorites I re-read regularly. It also, of course, does not include the books I am currently working on.

Secrets of the Tudor Court D.L. Bogdan

Creating Flow w/ Omnifocus Kurosh Dini

Reaper Man Terry Pratchett

My Man Jeeves P.G. Wodehouse

Objects of our Affection Lisa Tracy

Cheerful Smugglers Ellis Parker Butler

Skylark of Space, The E.E. Doc Smith

The $30K Bequest Mark Twain

Double Star Robert. A Heinlein

Folk Shawls 25 Knitting Patterns Cheryl Oberle

Soul Music Terry Pratchett

Spacehounds of IPC E.E. Doc Smith

Operation Sheba: Super Agent Book 1 Misty Evans

Rebel Strength Guide Steve Kamb

Rebel Fitness Guide Steve Kamb

Quest of the Warrior Sheep C&C Russell

Warrior Sheep Go West C&C Russell

Heat Wave Richard Castle

Sweater Design in Plain English Maggie Righetti

Knitting in Plain English Maggie Righetti

Do the Work Steven Pressfield

Pigs is Pigs Ellis Parker Butler

History of the Britons Nennius

Murder on the Rocks Karen MacInemey

Simple Sabotage Field Manual US - OSS

Food that Will WIn the War Charles Houston

The Story of Wool Sara Ware Bassett

The Story of Leather Sara Ware Bassett

The Story of Sugar Sara Ware Bassett

Treasury of Knitting Patterns Barbara G. Walker

Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns Barbara G. Walker

Third Treasury of Knitting Patterns Barbara G. Walker

Survival Tactics Al Sevcik & Irving Novick

Alien Offer Al Sevcik & Llewellyn

A Matter of Magnitude Al Sevcik

Let Them Breathe Space Lester Del Ray

The Answer Henry Beam Piper

Talents, Incorporated Murray Leinster

The Aliens Murray Leinster

No Strings Attached Lester Del Ray

World that Couldn't Be, The Clifford D. Simak

Scholfield Wool-Carding Machines Grace Rogers Cooper

Hogfather Terry Pratchett

Thief of Time Terry Pratchett

Pyramids Terry Pratchett

Small Gods Terry Pratchett

Color of Magic Terry Pratchett

Light Fantastic Terry Pratchett

Sourcery Terry Pratchett

The Paleo Solution Robb Wolf

Plague, Weather and Wool Todd Richardson

The Wall Between Sara Ware Bassett

Naked Heat Richard Castle

Paper, Scissors, Death Joanna Campbell Slan

Down on the Farm Charles Stross

Steve Jobs Walter Isaacson

Whiskey Sour J.A. Konrath

Catalyst Anne McCaffrey & Elizabeth Ann Scarborough

Variable Star Robert A. Heinlein & Spider Robinson

Christmas is Murder C.S. Challinor

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

I love that the Rebel Guides are included! I just read the Strength one tonight.

I'm soooo glad you kept a list. I read a ton in Peace Corps and kept a list, even of ones I reread. It got to about 100 books over two years and I didn't add all the magazines.

You inspire me to read!

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Awesome!! Thanks for the list, Oogie! I'll surely be adding some of these to my 'To Read' list :)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Finished one more

Simple Modern Sewing Shufu To Seikatsu Sha

Only 1 more to go and I'll have done my new book or story a week plus an extra one a month for a total of 64! I've got several I'm reading, being sick does have that advantage...

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

How do you find your retention? If you look back at that list, can you recall what was written in those first few books?

Usually pretty good. I do get a bit confused as to exactly which book of the Terry Pratchett's a specific thing happened because I tend to read a bunch in the series in a row. On them I know I would be a bit off but the rest I'm pretty good at.

Tudor Court was interesting as it's written as fiction but historically based. Made me go off and look into more Tudor times stuff on-line and got me inspired to dig out fabric and patterns and think about making a Tudor outfit this winter. Objects of our Affection was a rough read, I was dealing with my mothers' estate sale at that time and the book is about the stories behind the stuff we keep and what we sell and I found it rather morbid. Jeeves is always light hearted and I keep seeing the actors Fry & Laurie when I read them. The 2 Warrior sheep books are light hearted juvenile mysteries with the sheep flocks being involved, not nearly as good as Three Bags Full but a fun quick read. Creating Flow with OF I used to redo my entire GTD system and I am using a lot of what I learned in that book every day now. Skylark & Spacehounds are old style classic SF from the early days. The Castle books I keep seeing Nathan Fillion and hearing the TV show characters when I read them. The Story of Books are a fascinating look at history. They were originally written as school books for junior high kids in the early 1900's and so a very different world. I esp. liked the fact that in all of them the protagonist kids got off their butts and worked hard to inherit the company. Fascinating look into the whole American business environment and really interesting to compare to what we are telling kids today. The Stross one Down on the Farm is a fascinating take on what happens if magic and physics and espionage all combine in one world. I'll be buying more of his stuff. As I re-read the list I can remember major points of every book and story on it so I think my retention is pretty good.

One key for me is that now after dinner and after we have finished watching whatever movie or TV we have I am spending about an hour a night reading either paper books or on my kindle. Just the consistency is what makes the books go fast. I also take my kindle whenever we go out shopping or to the doctor or dentist or the haircut place, basically anywhere I may have a few moments to sit and wait and so I get snippet of reading done during the days as well. It's amazing what just making sure you have the material no matter where you are can make a difference in how much you get read.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

The Castle books I keep seeing Nathan Fillion and hearing the TV show characters when I read them.

Ohhh, were these any good? I've been wanting to get them since I love Castle and have a man crush on Nathan Fillion (I'm not ashamed to admit it, I'd treat him to a nice steak dinner like a classy date, he deserves it).

Also, huzzah for kindles! people having Kindles makes me smile. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Ohhh, were these any good? I've been wanting to get them since I love Castle and have a man crush on Nathan Fillion

If you like typical mysteries, that follow the standard mystery formula (not cozy mysteries but the traditional police type) and you love Castle you'll like these. IMO (and I read a LOT of mysteries) these are written by 2 different authors. My bet is the various authors either on the Castle show when he plays poker or the writers of the series have taken turns and I expect we'll eventually have all the books written by a variety of people. There is a niggling thing in my head about a mystery writer, male, who is also a romance novelist but I can't find it and I think that is who wrote the second one.

Anyway, get them they are worth the price.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess