Forums are back in action! ×

So here I am. I'm a 39 years old architect, depression survivor, divorcee, father of three daughters living in Finland.

I'm currently going through the mindset module in the academy and it was encouraged I "stop questing alone". I certainly needed the push to write this, because I'm a bit shy, or a loner perhaps. I'm all comfortable with people I know, but making new friends has not been my thing... Perhaps some of you can relate?

Anyway. I don't remember how I stumbled across Nerd Fitness a couple of weeks ago, but the site and the concepts had instant appeal to me. I'm currently looking into rebounding from the state my ongoing depression left me during nearly two decades of a relationship we just couldn't get to work or let go of. I'm handling the depression with professionals and medication now, so I've got that under control. Finally fixing that aspect with outside help has brought me back into the game. I'm looking to transform into the real me hiding under my beer gut and hunched shoulders.

I'm not that overweight, I think. I'm at about 75kg, and being about 172cm it does make me slightly obese. I think the bigger issue is my puny muscular ability grouped with the fact that the fat my body has accumulated has gone mainly into my gut. So I think my race could be a gnome perhaps. :D But this is probably due to my desk job and the depression, which accounted for a lot of years spent doing non-athletic-activity. During those years I found Minecraft, and this has recently been a great way to spend some time with my two older daughters. On the other hand, I'm not proud of my current appearance. I think my divorce made me really think about my appearance, as in like how do I appear for the fairer sex. To be specific - do I really have a chance in the dating game still? :D.. And currently I'm NOT pleased with the answer. :D I know this is not the real me, though. So I'm digging that dude out of this body of mine one rep at a time.

I'm currently doing the beginner bodyweight exercise three sets, three times a week. My legs were killing me at the start (like I couldn't almost walk the next day) and I was out of breath and drenching in sweat as I finished. But I've already noticed some progress in my ability to push through the three rounds of that circuit. Makes me proud.

I'm also getting back into meditation practice. That has been a "self-found" help during my rougher patches, but the habit has also drifted backstage. In general, I think I'll head towards a Druid class. But we'll see.

I've not been through the Nutrition module yet, but look forward to it. (Remember, this post is just me pushing through the mindset module ;-) and I REALLY don't want to cheat). For a couple of weeks, though, I've been really diligent about what I'm eating. I've got a paid app to monitor my measurements, what I eat (calories, macros, water, etc..), and I've learnt a lot about food. Can't wait to learn more in the Nutrition module.

As a teen, I was the skinny type. I never really enjoyed team sports. I got into cross-country skiing for some time as a teen, and was relatively fit. And as a random bonus achievement - I've actually done 100 consecutive pushups as a teen. No program - I just did as much as I could for a period and it ended up being 100 one night. So maybe this could be something to go for - for old times sake. Currently I'm peaking somewhere around 20.

On my free time I like to fantasize about getting back into my musical hobbies, fantasize about getting my lua-project for renoise done, play some minecraft on a realms server for me and my two older daughters, and maybe woe about not going out and learning more about longboarding. I've done some nordic walking last year too. I currently spend time with my daughters every other weekend, and on every monday, so there's that also. Looking into being as supportive and reliable father to my daughters as I can be.

My biggest fear at the moment is giving all this up within three months. For some weird reason, three months seems to have been the 'limit' for me. I've succesfully done some transformation work even without professional help to my depression, but I think I went too fast. I took up too much on my plate doing a transformation period one spring, and by summer I thought "I need rest, I've earned it" - and it ended up being a quit instead of rest. So I'm really trying to go slow this time. Hope it works.

In conclusion concerning the wall of text above

- "Hello world". :D

• Like 1

Weight Loss [12/08/2015...] ; From 77kg to 65kg

66.7%
66.7%

~¨`'!Iì:..  L2  ..:íI!'´¨~
¨
SWC#1 ¨

Hello and welcome!

Have you looked into:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

?

I'm sure you'll get back to 100 in no time!

• Like 2

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

Hey there 😊,

I too was doing the quests on my own,a friend encouraged me to do the SWC! I think it will help you! There are so many people at NF that are here for help ,support and good advice! Lots of positive encouragement! Good luck 🀠on your journey 😊

• Like 1

-Jadyn Rayne-
Race: Wood Elf
Class: -Adventurer-DIVERGENT
Level:3
STR: 11 | CHA: 5 | STA: 3 | WIS: 8| CON: 7| DEX: 4

Jadyn Rayne's Battle Log

JadynRayne's current challenge

"Not all who wander are lost."

Hello and welcome!

Have you looked into:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

?

I'm sure you'll get back to 100 in no time!

Hi and thanks for the welcome!

I did another 100 pushups challenge a while back, but quit in the middle... :nonchalance: I think I got somewhere around 30 that time. Thanks for the site, it looks all right! After I get my diet in control and get started with the workout routines, I think I'll give this a go.

66.7%
66.7%

¨
SWC#1 ¨

Hey there ,

I too was doing the quests on my own,a friend encouraged me to do the SWC! I think it will help you! There are so many people at NF that are here for help ,support and good advice! Lots of positive encouragement! Good luck on your journey

Hello, jadynrayne! The six-week-challenge (I think that's what SWC means, right? :D) looks intriguing. I'm going to take it slow this time, but the additional accountability that comes with reporting your progress will no doubt be a positive thing. Waiting for the next swc to go. :)

66.7%
66.7%

¨
SWC#1 ¨

If you'd like to let me know when you start it, I can start at the same time to be your push up buddy!

• Like 1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...

If you'd like to let me know when you start it, I can start at the same time to be your push up buddy!

Wow, nice! :D

I'm still kinda struggling with building up a consistent healthy diet and getting in shape overall. Currently I've got the beginners bodyweight workout routine running 3 times a week (did it this morning, yay for me!), and I think I'll stick with that until I get the nutrition module in shape.

Went for a 6,5 km walk/jog in the weekend and discovered that I need to work out on my running endurance and technique also. There's a distant goal for me that I'll be able to jog my route through. I'm going at it by targeting a smaller time each time. Currently I'm at 57 minutes. My next goal is 50 minutes and that requires that I get my endurance and technique somewhat better. My jogging "sprints" don't last that long for now :D.

(-EDIT:, according to this and my unreliable math I should finally aim towards something like 45 minutes? Am I doing it right?)

So it'll be a while until I get to this kind of side quests, but when I do, I'll try and remember to hit you with a message!

• Like 1

66.7%
66.7%

¨
SWC#1 ¨