Forums are back in action! ×

Has feet, will travel 2012 edition

I will definitely be in Boston on the 17th! I graduate the 12th (I think) and then my parents are having a silly party somewhere around that time (I think), and I can almost guarantee I won't be starting work (if I get hired somewhere) that soon. So, I will be at any meet-ups in Mass!

Excellent! We'll all meet up to toast to your future success!

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

I cant say I have travelled much but I noticed you mentioned sheep herding in New Zealand :P If you want to have adventures involving agriculture, sheep herding and such, then I'd recommend checking out www.wwoof.org ;) Lots of different countries, flexible, not expensive and endless possibilities :)

Also, if you go to europe you should consider a stopover in Iceland! its not tropical (obvious), doesn't really have historical buildings but it does have lots of mountains, glaciers and other hiking opportunities, also partying, culture and loads of swimming pools and hot springs!

Hey! Your post mentioned tropical destinations. While I know that most people don't consider island hopping "real" travel, I think there's something to just getting away from it all and indulging in nature/beaches. And there are lots of interesting experiences to be had once you get away from the main islands of whatever chain you happen to be visiting (though it tends to be a fairly expensive way to travel since you have few hotelling options and all the food is imported, generally).

Fjolan: I'm always seeing billboards here in Seattle advertising cheap flights between here and Reykjavik - I'm actually thinking of visiting next December.

I cant say I have travelled much but I noticed you mentioned sheep herding in New Zealand :P If you want to have adventures involving agriculture, sheep herding and such, then I'd recommend checking out www.wwoof.org ;) Lots of different countries, flexible, not expensive and endless possibilities :)

Also, if you go to europe you should consider a stopover in Iceland! its not tropical (obvious), doesn't really have historical buildings but it does have lots of mountains, glaciers and other hiking opportunities, also partying, culture and loads of swimming pools and hot springs!

Fjolan, sweet I'll have to check out the link!

And ICeland sounds great. Mountains, partying, and hot springs sounds like the beginning of an epic vacation.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Hey! Your post mentioned tropical destinations. While I know that most people don't consider island hopping "real" travel, I think there's something to just getting away from it all and indulging in nature/beaches. And there are lots of interesting experiences to be had once you get away from the main islands of whatever chain you happen to be visiting (though it tends to be a fairly expensive way to travel since you have few hotelling options and all the food is imported, generally).

Fjolan: I'm always seeing billboards here in Seattle advertising cheap flights between here and Reykjavik - I'm actually thinking of visiting next December.

Hm island hopping. Interesting. I'd bring a 1 person tent and sleep on the beach and bathe in the ocean. You know really go native. :D

Ever been to Kentucky? Beautiful countryside...Mammoth Cave is awesome.

New Orleans? Loooove the vibe and the food!

England: I didn't think I would be as into this as I was. LOTS of cool stuff to see in London, and northern England is super cool...in particular, we visited York and totally got to see some Roman ruins and walk on a 13th century wall.

Austria/Germany: full of old-world charm, and also mountains. And castles. And the autobahn (which I actually didn't care for). Bonus: they drive on the right side of the road. Seriously though...picturesque lake towns, neat historical stuff, the Alps are right there...there's a glacier...and a town named Heiligenblut (holy blood). And they have beer gardens. And awesome food. And did I mention castles? Check out Schloss Neuschwanstein.

Hawaii: TOTALLY an adventure trip. We did that for our honeymoon and even our relaxing beach day wasn't relaxing - there were too many beaches we wanted to check out! We did horseback riding in Waipio Valley, took a helicopter ride to see lava (sans doors), checked out the southernmost point in the US (quite boring), hiked around Volcano National Park (including a trek along a caldera floor) and stargazing on Mauna Kea. Didn't get to try surfing because the water was flat >.< but otherwise an AMAZING vacation.

Northern Michigan: Absolutely gorgeous and looks nothing like southern Michigan. Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rocks, old mining towns, BEARS. Porcupine Mountains. Mackinac Island. Other cool islands. Naturey.

Those are some of my faves/highlights :)

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hm island hopping. Interesting. I'd bring a 1 person tent and sleep on the beach and bathe in the ocean. You know really go native. :D

I've done some island hopping around French Polynesia and it was ah-may-zing. I also know someone who swears by island camping as you've suggested, as well as another person who canoed from place to place in Palau and sent back some incredible photos.

If you enjoy hiking, may I suggest checking out Peru? I've yet to meet a more breath taking challange than The Inca Trail 8^)

Oh good call on Peru. I'd have to go with someone though because I would want to share its awesomeness. Now to find someone to go with....

If you enjoy hiking, may I suggest checking out Peru? I've yet to meet a more breath taking challange than The Inca Trail 8^)

Haha I'm totally commenting on all of your posts today, but I WANT TO DO THIS! I'm thinking about a trip to South America this summer and I'm having trouble narrowing down what I want to do, but I love love love hiking.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me lies an invincible summer." - Albert Camus

"Moving on and Moving up" Challenge

concretecavewoman:

Why december? :)

If you like christmas its should be the perfect month to come here because Icelanders love christmas and usually make a big deal out of it. Christmas lights, Christmas baking, Christmas lads, Christmas concerts, Christmas buffets and other christmas traditions are all over the place! :Þ

If you're into hiking, I'd recommend the eastern most hike in North America: the East Coast Trail. 540km of coastal hiking the east coast of Newfoundland's Avalon Peninsula (aka my backyard). Best time frame for that is July-October.

If you're into eco and adventure tourism, keep Costa Rica in mind. I'm heading there in 2 weeks for the first time. It looks amazing. Rafting, hiking, zip lines, horseback riding, surfing, repelling, volcanoes, rainforest and more.

If you're into eco and adventure tourism, keep Costa Rica in mind. I'm heading there in 2 weeks for the first time. It looks amazing. Rafting, hiking, zip lines, horseback riding, surfing, repelling, volcanoes, rainforest and more.

I fully expect a lengthy, detailed, and jealousy inducing trip report so I can drool over your adventures :D

My buddy at work just got back from Thailand and said it was hella cheap (once you got there). Full meals are 5 bucks max, massages are 9, a full day snorkel trip with beer and food included was 30. Airfair is usually the largest cost, but he got there on miles.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Ever been to Kentucky? Beautiful countryside...Mammoth Cave is awesome.

I'm originally from Kentucky. Going back to school there in about a year, a few miles away from Mammoth Cave actually. I love cave country, and all the hiking and rivers. It is a great state if you are a nature lover.

"If you think we can't change the world, it just means you're not one of those that will." -Jacque Fresco

You know what rebels? I just discovered I can camp, for free, on US Forest Service lands. Why did I not know of this before (I credit the discovery to today's Art of Manliness article). This changes quite a bit of my New England journey. Heck two nights in the wilderness will more than pay for the cost of a tent.

Time to do more research on this topic.

Oh yeah, you can camp for free there :P Sometimes I've found the national forests, etc to be not quite as nice as the (pay) state campgrounds...but that's me :) Good luck!

TRue but all I really need is a place to crash at night since every day I am driving to a new place. Very exciting......