Forums are back in action! ×

Why Matcha? Because i have a packet in front of me that i purchased yesterday at the Japanese food mart.

I love cooking and experimenting with food, they aren't always successful but the results are usually tasty and sometimes hilarious, like the first time i used my pressure cooker, 4 years ago, to make 3 bean chili...not the best thing to have for breakfast and lunch on a workday. Last night i made a meatless loaf for today's lunch (lentils, mushrooms, carrots, celery, etc) I will never learn  :livid:

I've been reading the newsletters for a while and it's about time i try a challenge and join the forum. 

A little about me.

I am a 31 year old female living in the borough of the New York METS. Before i loved cooking i loved all the restaurants and delicious  horrible junk food on special at the local supermarket. Then i discovered the food network in my late teens and began cooking maybe 7 years ago. I am magical at cupcakes and bread but my cookie skills suck. I am Queen of veggies & cold salad but my pork shoulder freaking rocks!!!!  :devilish:

I went to the gym on occasion but not enough to make a difference with the food i ate. Then i tried Jiu Jitsu two years ago and looked forward to every class. Increased strength and flexibility, i did things i never imagined i would. I was not that good but it was fun and a hell of a workout that forced me to watch what i eat. I also joined a gym, where i went three times a week, and Karate, two to three times a week. Then one fateful day something happened when my arm was in a lock and i injured my shoulder and had to drop everything. 

Now i am working on building up the strength on both arms with what i learned in physical therapy and losing lost of weight.

Time to figure out what the challenge it and start this baby. 

Thank you for reading  :D

• Like 2

+1 for green tea and jiu jitsu.

I took a one month trial at an MMA gym (main focus and skillset of instructors was Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, though) a few years back and enjoyed it, but couldn't keep going since I can't afford it. I'm getting back into it now by learning basic techniques and doing drills I can do on my own while I figure out how I'm going to get a practice partner.

Sorry to hear about your arm injury, hopefully it doesn't happen again. If it does, though, it might be worth it to continue training and your fitness journey once you make full recovery, rather than taking ~2 years off. One of my biggest regrets is that I gave up on getting fit in 2012, because I had to start all over again this year. Of course it depends on the severity of the injury, and what your doctor says. Maybe you could go into it a little more as to why you stopped even after physical therapy, or how long the therapy took?

Level 7 Ranger

STR 19 | STA 16 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 8

Battle Log | Previous Challenge | Progress Photos

Another fan of good matcha and martial arts here!  If you ever need info on MA injury prevention, feel free to tap me.  I'm not a doctor, but I am a search-and-rescue worker, and my first martial arts class required we keep a medic on duty, so I've had injury prevention well beaten into me (if you'll forgive the pun).

Welcome to the club!

"What's the goal here?  What's the lesson here?  What's the best use of my time right now?" <-- Rory Miller's "three sacred questions"

"Lacking in humility?  Don't worry, the bar will give you some." <-- Me.

HedgeMage, Orc Ranger

Battle Log | IRL Info

Hi Kiediskiedis 🙌thanks i hope so too 😊

Hi Fatal 🙌 green tea and martial arts ftw!!!

As for my arm i am fail at going to the doc when something is wrong but i always go for my yearly physical lol. The pain was excruciating and i couldn't spar which was 3/4 of the Jiu Jitsu class. The pain is also why i stopped karate.

After 9 months of treating myself with massages, tense matching and Aleve i went to my doc and she prescribed an xray and pt. By then the worst of the pain was gone. I slept, and sometimes still do, with a pillow supporting my arm. I can't remember what the physical therapist said was wrong, i think it's the supra spinatus nerve, she said that i needed to lightweight strength trainning for my arms and she complained about my posture lol. Then i started a new job with longer hours and couldn't make it to pt and since i pretty much did the same exercises i decided to just do it myself, unfortunately i don't do it often enough and it's affecting my right arm, aka the arm formerly known as my good arm.

As soon as i can i want to join karate again so it's something to look forward to ðŸ˜

Replying on a phone is a pain lol now i must run because my bf thinks i joined a cult 😒

I see, so it has been affecting you for a long time, and you still haven't made a full recovery and haven't been able to complete your physical therapy. Doing it at home is a good idea, and since it seems like you need some motivation to help get you to do it more often, you've come to the right place. Here's a thread for motivational quotes http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/16444-motivational-and-inspirational-quotes/ that may help.

One of my biggest things when I started Nerd Fitness was that I didn't want to get injured again like I have in the past (knee/ankle) so I made it a goal to not skip any warmup and stretching before/after workouts. I'd definitely recommend to anyone new or otherwise to put priority on injury prevention through stretching and other ways to increase flexibility and range of motion, as well as create stronger joints.

You did. Here, have some kool-aid.

Level 7 Ranger

STR 19 | STA 16 | DEX 17 | CON 10 | WIS 8 | CHA 8

Battle Log | Previous Challenge | Progress Photos