Forums are back in action! ×

Post-college issues

Evening! My name is Kat, and this is one of my many first steps toward a healthier lifestyle. I've struggled with body image issues all my life, but it wasn't until recently that I really sank into body based anxiety and depression. I can't see myeslf in a mirror without feeling ill and I'm hardly ever at ease in what I'm wearing. As someone who likes to cosplay and go to conventions, this is particularly stiffling.

I graduated college back in May and have been steadily gaining weight since then. I'm 5'7 and weighed 180 lbs the last time I stepped on a scale. About a month ago, after a particularly bad anxiety attack, I bought myself a treadmill and have been doing at least half an hour a day. Other changes I made are:

• I took a more active job. This is a big one, I think! Now instead of sitting at a desk for 8+ hours a day, I'm constantly on the move. I work with kids who have a tendency to take off at any given moment, so I hardly go an hour without running one place or another.
  • I cut my soda intake in half. Right now I'm down to one a day which, while not ideal, is better than where I was. I am definitely soliciting advice on how to quit it all together! I love my coke something fierce, which I'm sure is a big contributor to my weight gain.
  • I've been working to add more veggies to my diet.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any of the above make an impact yet which means I need to go harder. My goal right now is to reach 130 lbs by Emerald City ComiCon so that I can comfortably cosplay my favorite villain: Poison Ivy :D I need a plan with hard and fast guidelines- otherwise my attention will wander and I'll lose sight of my goal.

I look forward to getting to know you all and to see how you've managed to bring about sustainable change in your own lives!

Once you wean yourself off the coke and you've been clean for a few months, you might take a sip and think it tastes just like pouring syrup in your mouth. When I was 80/20 paleo that's what happened to me. Now it's just soda once in a while and I can't even finish a can.

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...