Forums are back in action! ×

Nice surprise at the gym: resolutioners aren't in the weight room!

Our racks have steps that fold down from the sides so you can step on them to get to the bars. I understand using them for weighted pullups (legs would hit the wall on a wall bar) or between sets of squats, its fine. This dude was doing the pullups, then walking out of the room for 5 minutes but leaving his boots (he was walking around in socks) and cell phone in the middle of the rack so no one used it.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I hate to admit it, but I'm going to be one of those noobs in a couple of weeks, as I typically work out at home - but I realize I'm not getting the kind of workout I want. But, I will take gym etiquette into account. I can't stand inconsiderate people in any situation, let alone one when I'm trying to get something done.

I had one guy I've never seen before taking up the full cage squat rack to do pullups.

We had that, me and one of the other regulars had a chuckle at that one because it happens more than we'd like to say.

I actually was doing DL yesterday, so I just stole a bar from the bench monkeys and set up shop in an open area. Cage be damned, I claim this area as my own!

But there was def some oddities going one. I saw on kid laying face up on the floor and doing cable tricep pulls on a cable that was on the ground instead of moving the cable up. There was a kid who kept running back and forth to the DBs, trying to figure out what he should be doing for db bench press. He'd do two, walk around, up weight, do two more, walk around. I got dizzy watching him...

You ever see those guys who look like they totally used to be in shape?
I'm working to get back to that...

I actually was doing DL yesterday, so I just stole a bar from the bench monkeys and set up shop in an open area. Cage be damned, I claim this area as my own!

I do this all the time, mainly out of respect for the squat cage, since there is only one cage (and two fricken smith machines gah) in my gym. I may have to move the DLs over next to the treadmills and chat up the new females. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest Snake McClain
I may have to move the DLs over next to the treadmills and chat up the new females. :D

Brilliant idea. WHy haven't i thought of this?

Also. I do my pull ups in the squat cage (it has those handles up above) because one it is taller than the other and i can start at a complete dead hang and two because i do my pullups in between my squats.

I haven't noticed many resolutioners so far, but I train at 5:30AM and I guess they aren't that resolute :P I'm sure the evenings are packed out though.

My gym has only one pull up bar, and it's part of a squat rack! We have 2 other squat racks though, so it's not such an issue, but if you want to do pullups and that rack is taken, you're SOL.

Brilliant idea. WHy haven't i thought of this?

Also. I do my pull ups in the squat cage (it has those handles up above) because one it is taller than the other and i can start at a complete dead hang and two because i do my pullups in between my squats.

Pullups in the powercage I can respect. Like yours, the ones at the cage in my gym are higher than any of the others in the gym, plus has multiple angles to choose from (the cable machine complex on the opposite side of the weights area has them too, but is a few inches lower).

It's the full-body olympic bar curls that really irritate me. There's one guy who will curl in the cage with around 90lbs and he's throwing his whole body into getting the weight up. The dumb bells go up to 100lb, plus we have static EZ-curl bards that go up to 110, and an olympic ez-bar that he could load however he wants. Absolutely no reason he needs to be using the cage.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

It's the full-body olympic bar curls that really irritate me. There's one guy who will curl in the cage with around 90lbs and he's throwing his whole body into getting the weight up. The dumb bells go up to 100lb, plus we have static EZ-curl bards that go up to 110, and an olympic ez-bar that he could load however he wants. Absolutely no reason he needs to be using the cage.

When I work out "in the wild" - as I prefer to call it - easily three out of five times some bro will ask which part of my biceps "that move" hits. "That move" of course being power cleans. D'oh.

Brachialis man, once you can do 75lbs hammer curls start working this.

Yeah, I've probably injured my share of dudes ex post facto but it's just easier than the truth.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Thanks Sashi, then they're doing their job. I'm of the admittedly biased opinion that everyone interested in health and fitness should properly and safely learn the Olympic lifts and requisite mobility. So if it's that easy to pique people's curiosity I'll keep fighting the good fight.

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs