Forums are back in action! ×

Set phasers to stun....

Hi! I've been lurking around this website and a few of the forums for a while now. Today I decided to bite the bullet and actually join. I'm a huge nerd, mostly Star Trek, with some Firefly and Discworld thrown in. I'm also a stay at home mom to my first child born this past April. Her father named her Skye and fully intends, if we have a boy, to name him Walker. I recently had a huge wake up call; my aunt belongs to a gym with a free mini-consultation service. In the process of this consultation, I discovered I had a body fat percentage of 40%. Which is what happens when you sort of exercise but eat unhealthy foods, get pregnant, stop exercising except for walking, and gain another thirty pounds on top of the extra twenty you were carrying around. I wasn't as healthy as I could have been during my pregnancy. Although I walked at least two miles a day, there were also a lot of oreos. Five months post partum, I've stabilized at 160 pounds. My goal is to get back down to 130 lbs and an 18% body fat percentage, which is basically where I was when I met my husband.

To achieve this goal, I've begun going to the gym five days a week. It has an awesome parent/child room, so I can't use her as an excuse to skip. I do thirty minutes of moderate weight lifting and an hour of bicycling. I'm lucky, in that I still have a fair amount of muscle; my job before I got pregnant involved a lot of lifting heavy things and moving them around. Somehow, I didn't lose all of it when I stopped exercising. I've also cut my calories down to 1400 a day and cut way back on the carbs (goodbye pasta. I will miss you.)

Honestly, I know what I need to do to get back to feeling fitter, stronger, and incidentally, more attractive. I just have a really hard time staying on track. Today at the store, every time I passed a candy display, I had to sternly lecture myself about short-term pleasures and long-term goals, and that if I wanted to wow my husband when he returns from his deployment, I needed to pick the latter. I'd love to find an accountabilibuddy, or if any of you happen to be at Dyess AFB, hit me up and maybe we can be gym buddies.

Oh man, I JUST ate an oreo right before reading this. I'm based out of Scott AFB but deployed right now and we just got a care package of snacks. : /

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...