Forums are back in action! ×

well, its official.

Funny I find this thread. I went to a seminar at college a few weeks ago about the nations sugar addiction. It's nearly impossible for us thanks to food companies to give it up. The Nutritionist or was she a certified health coach, either way she went to school for this stuff- says to dont go cold turkey method instead slowly wean yourself off using alternatives that wont cause such a Sugar crash. I have the presentation right next to me. Her advice is to skip the Simple sugars ( her examples: sugar, milk, oj) and go for complex sugars (her examples: Sweet potato, oatmeal, and brown rice). Also good piece of advice anyways is to Carefully read the label on everything! you would be surprised how often a -cose (sugar alcohol/sugar) come up. Good luck with it!

Funny I find this thread. I went to a seminar at college a few weeks ago about the nations sugar addiction. It's nearly impossible for us thanks to food companies to give it up. The Nutritionist or was she a certified health coach, either way she went to school for this stuff- says to dont go cold turkey method instead slowly wean yourself off using alternatives that wont cause such a Sugar crash. I have the presentation right next to me. Her advice is to skip the Simple sugars ( her examples: sugar, milk, oj) and go for complex sugars (her examples: Sweet potato, oatmeal, and brown rice). Also good piece of advice anyways is to Carefully read the label on everything! you would be surprised how often a -cose (sugar alcohol/sugar) come up. Good luck with it!

I actually don't eat anything (except for dark chocolate) that has a label, so the sugars I'm giving up are in the form of fruit (and that dark chocolate).

I also don't eat any grains (I do paleo, so meat veggies nuts seeds and fruit).

I just normally eat a ton of carbs (in the form of fruit and veggies) and haven't eaten, well, practically any for the last week.

So my situation is a lot different than someone going from the normal american diet to a no sugar no carb diet. I've been weaned.

I'm just whiny.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Hmm I can see this ending very badly for an annoying co-worker.

Co-Worker: Hey spezzy, could you look into...

Spezzy: RAWRRRRRRRR *..dead lifting humans ensues..*

I guffawed. And our new temp staff looked at me all o.O

Good luck with the sugar stuff, Spezzy! I'm sure you'll bounce back faster than you think! Or, so I hope.

So.. question of mechanics: You go all uber low carb for a short time, the body adjusts and you can go back to pre low carb state with less body fat and not gain it all back?

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

So.. question of mechanics: You go all uber low carb for a short time, the body adjusts and you can go back to pre low carb state with less body fat and not gain it all back?

Correct. From the way I understand it is that when people go back to carbs after being on low carb, they tend to eat more calories because they're used to being full and carbs aren't as filling per calorie as protein and fat. For example, I ate twice the calories in cereal this weekend as I do when eating my eggs for breakfast and I was hungry in half the time.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Correct. From the way I understand it is that when people go back to carbs after being on low carb, they tend to eat more calories because they're used to being full and carbs aren't as filling per calorie as protein and fat. For example, I ate twice the calories in cereal this weekend as I do when eating my eggs for breakfast and I was hungry in half the time.

Hmm.. this might explain the whole carb cycling thing. Maybe I need to be a grumpy Laura sometime soon....

Okay okay okay, my question - do you cop any, or have you copped any, flack for your dietary choices.. like the near 100% paleo and the cutting out sugar completely (for the short period) and how do you deal with it?

How does she deal? See Bigm's post earlier in this thread ;)

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Okay okay okay, my question - do you cop any, or have you copped any, flack for your dietary choices.. like the near 100% paleo and the cutting out sugar completely (for the short period) and how do you deal with it?

I can't speak for Spezzy of course, but people more don't believe at work when I say I'm on a diet because they see me eating like today: eggs with bacon and ham in them in the morning and going out for hotwings at lunch. They then tend to tease my about being on a "diet" and "eating healthy". They can't comprehend doing this then eating a pound of chicken with broccoli and a sweet poato for dinner, and not blowing up. (all of that is around 2200 kals btw). (Edit:; 2200 with 2 tablespoons of butter on the potato and a banana for a snack).

I find the biggest thing people can't comprehend is how (edit: that should be caloricly--->)nutritionally dense carbs are and how much volume of other stuff you can actually eat if you limit them. I can't wait until i lose enough weight to prove that it works so they get off my back.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

<<< may i suggest a refreshing energy drink?

ETF, I love your avatar. Just so awesome.

To put this a little on topic, good luck with this Spezzy. Maybe you'll inspire some people to give this a shot. Hell, eating over close to 3 lbs of meat a day seems like a [temporary] food plan I could get behind, though my wallet might not like me for it.

I may have to push this full experiment out until the 23rd, which sucks because i don't want to lose the progress I've made having my body get used to it.

I definitely can't feel this way next week (competition)

Ugh.

I can appreciate this. I'm on the same project for the same reason and I kind of lost my mind on Saturday and face-planted about a cup of dried cherries. Suuuuuuugar in any form!

sure.

i deal with it by not caring.

statements i use a lot:

"i personally believe this is the healthiest way to eat."

"i'm not on a diet - this is how i live"

"i don't think i'm fat, i think i want to be healthy"

oh, and my favorite:

them: "uhhhhhh is that a sweet potato?" (when preparing breakfast at work in the kitchen)

me: "no. it's a rutabega"

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
and face-planted about a cup of dried cherries.

I like what you did there. I may have to add this turn of phrase to my repertoire.

500 / 330 / 625