Forums are back in action! ×

Hiya from a newb :)

Figured I should probably post in here, since that's the in-thing.

I'm Ixaera. This is an ancient gaming/RP handle I've had since 1999, when I found my first MUD and played an ariel thief.

I'm actually not here to start a weight loss journey. I just completed one back in June (32 pounds, from 134 to 102, I'm very, very short and that is a great weight for my height!). I've maintained my new healthy weight for 4 months, and I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of eating to my energy needs. That said, I am still unsatisfied. 

My body fat % is higher than I'd like, I'm about as strong as a bowl of room-temperature soup, and I'm super uncoordinated. It's been a struggle to find activity I really enjoy that isn't just reading my Kindle on the elliptical. (Nothing wrong with that, but it wasn't fixing the aforementioned problems, my gym membership expired and I decided it was time I did something different.)

Recently I've started up Krav Maga classes, and they're probably the most fun thing I've tried to stay active so far. Useful, to boot. I'm extremely small and having a good foundation in self-defense is never a bad decision, IMO. So far I've been going to skills classes twice a week and conditioning once a week, while floundering since my whole workout plan is currently up in the air. I think what I want to do is stick to 2x week skills classes, and bump up conditioning to as many times as possible per week without burning out/hurting myself, with accessory home lifting with my (pre-existing) sets of resistance bands, dumbbells, kettlebells, and pullup bar (not that I can do a pull up. I cannot.)

I'm also considering getting beach body on demand because I have a support-type job which means some random times I'm just not going to be able to make a set/scheduled time for a class due to work emergencies, but I'll still want to work out at home, and I like p90x style workouts (and maybe insanity or asylum too). Sort of a fitness safety net that I should also love. (I have done home lifting on my own but found it hard to keep at it without dreading it.)

The conditioning classes at Krav are basically strength+cardio for an Insanity style workout. The two I've attended I've left feeling totally spent, and nice and sore the following day. Big fan. Those classes use weighted "body" bags, resistance bands, and lots of combat combos on a heavy bag as well. Lots of bodyweight circuits.

Anyway, cool to be here! Here's to achieving all our beastly goals together!

If there was a good kickboxing or Muay Thai gym near me, I would definitely do that. As it is I drive 30 minutes to my boxing gym. It's so much more fun to me than a big box gym!

• Like 1

Level 2 Furyan Ranger    You keep what you kill

STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 3
6.1 6.2 | Duolingo | Daily Fitocracy

Spoiler

Captain Hammer: Have I seen you at the gym?

Billy: [smiles] At the gym!

Captain Hammer: [to himself] I don't go to the gym, I'm just naturally like this...