Forums are back in action! ×

Ready to take action!!!

Ok, so, hello!! I found a link to this site on Livestrong last Thursday and have been obsessively reading it ever since. It makes me incredibly happy, and I have to say I am even more motivated now that I've found it (all of you)!

Some backstory: I have been a fat girl pretty much, well, always. I lived with it. I didn't do anything to change it. About 9 years ago I was in a bad living situation, and was horribly depressed and not eating, and lost 30ish pounds. I looked great, but I still felt like crap. Fast forward to August 22, 2009, my now husbands 30th birthday. I was taking him to go see Lynyrd Skynyrd and I was trying to find something to wear. It was hot, and I was uncomfortable in my own skin. I looked in the mirror and realized that nothing looked good on me, because I didn't look good. I felt awful, and fat, and I kind of hated myself for it. After that I vowed to get my life back on track. I am 5'8" tall and weighed in at 267 pounds.

Since then my lowest weight was 190 in May 2010. Since then my weight has stayed steady around 200 lbs. Now mind you, I lost pretty much all of this weight through diet. I learned how to eat healthy and drastically changed my diet, but I hated working out. Like truly despised it. Last March I joined a gym and went 3 times a week for a long time. My weight stayed the same, but I was happy that when I flexed my arms I could actually see that start of a muscle!! Until I fell of the gym wagon.

Fast forward again to the last week of 2011. I have quit smoking, I am not drinking alcohol for the next 4 months (to start with) and will see how I feel after that. I am re-dedicating myself to my eating plan which consists of mostly veggies, and protein, while going light on carbs, sugar and dairy (although I have not cut them out completely). Yesterday I went to the gym and did bench presses. I have never in my LIFE done something like that. This site has motivated me to get my butt into the gym and get stronger. I am going to take my measurements tonight so I have a starting point. I want to be able to do a pull up! Like, a real one, by myself with no help! It is a goal I am setting for myself.

I am so happy to have found a place where I feel like I can gain some real knowledge, from real people, that are trying to accomplish goals as well. I'm super excited to be on this journey!!

Welcome! Grats on the weight you have already lost and huge grats on quitting smoking! Good luck on the alcohol...that one is the one I backed off heavily from a few months back, and is where I feel a lot of my weight loss came from. I still drink, but much more in moderation.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Welcome! Sounds like you've already had a good start, and have some great ideas about the future. I'm in the same boat with you about the unassisted pull ups - I came across this site in the last few days: http://twentypullups.com/node/4. It's just something to keep in mind as you build up basic arm strength and then eventually start doing negatives. Woohoo pull ups!

In any event, hope you find what works for you, and good luck in achieving your goals! :)

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

I actually used to be a heavy drinker. Like, every day lots of whiskey heavy drinker. I've calmed WAY down in the last few years, and in the past year have only drank maybe once a month. When I do drink though I tend to go over board. My husband has this problem as well, so we're supporting each other to start this year out clean of everything. It's so much more helpful when you have a partner to support you and hold you accountable. There's nothing worse than getting the "I'm disappointed in you" look.

Thanks for the welcome!

I actually used to be a heavy drinker. Like, every day lots of whiskey heavy drinker. I've calmed WAY down in the last few years, and in the past year have only drank maybe once a month. When I do drink though I tend to go over board. My husband has this problem as well, so we're supporting each other to start this year out clean of everything. It's so much more helpful when you have a partner to support you and hold you accountable. There's nothing worse than getting the "I'm disappointed in you" look.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yep! Been there! When I sat down and really started looking at it, I was consuming 3,000-5,000 calories worth of alcohol on average per week. I love good whiskey, beers, and wines. I also understand the going overboard part....happens more often than it should for me.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*