Forums are back in action! ×

How much water do you drink? (Does it matter?)

My coach has done it, though. So it IS possible. I think your kidneys can technically handle like 5 gallons?

Most I have ever done was 4.5 gal or so in a day

100 degree weather + 102mile bike ride + refilling 100oz camelback every 20 miles = Bigm needs to pee a lot at the finish line.

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

The MOST I've done with any regularity was about 3 gallons a day during 2 weeks of football camp in August, but that's with 20 lbs of pads in 90-100 degree weather for 8 hours.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

No idea how much water I drink. However...

I had really bad skin all through my teenage years and into my early twenties, and nothing helped it, not even prescription creams or pills. I tried Proactiv - one of those 'well, I've tried everything else, might as well try this' things. I was really skeptical at first, but it actually helped a lot. I occasionally get a zit or two, but my skin is heaps better than it used to be. I think it took about 2 months for it to start clearing up, but it's definitely been worth it for me.

Wow, thanks for all the feedback guys!

I thought I was drinking a lot with refilling my 1.5 litre bottle a couple times a day, but apparently not! I'll have to try and drink even more. It's still an improvement - when I was in uni I used to drink 2-3 litres of diet soda and a couple cups of coffee in a day, and not much else. I think I'll aim for 6 litres today (about 1.6 US gallons.)

Spezzy, as always, I am crazy impressed.

No idea how much water I drink. However...

I had really bad skin all through my teenage years and into my early twenties, and nothing helped it, not even prescription creams or pills. I tried Proactiv - one of those 'well, I've tried everything else, might as well try this' things. I was really skeptical at first, but it actually helped a lot. I occasionally get a zit or two, but my skin is heaps better than it used to be. I think it took about 2 months for it to start clearing up, but it's definitely been worth it for me.

I've looked at Proactiv, but it's just way too expensive for me right now.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Guest Snake McClain
to add to everyone else's comments, by the time your body signals that you're thirsty, you're already fairly dehydrated. there are lot of sources that say this, but this is the first one i found:

"If you wait until you are thirsty, your body is already dehydrated. It takes about TWO HOURS for anything you drink to have an effect on your body’s hydration level. By the time you feel thirsty, you are two hours behind!"

taken from here (no clue who Liz is, but this article is pretty decent): http://www.fitnessbyliz.com/dehydration-hydration-drink-before-you-get-thirsty/

water is like a freaking magic potion. drink that ish up.

I was thinking about this. This CANNOT be correct. You go to the bar and drink three shots of Vodka real quick bang bang bang. You have a buzz in 15 minutes (or some people do). Obviously that isn't a two hour period. So either the writer of that article didn't take into consideration alcohol or it is just wrong.

I think I'll aim for 6 litres today (about 1.6 US gallons.)

That's a ton. I'd aim for a gallon. Spezzy is right on a lot of things, but forcing more than a gallon on yourself might be a bit extreme unless you're really working up a big sweat for a long period. Edit: Or really working your muscles like crazy a few times a day and need the water to flush your system more so than to hydrate.

I was thinking about this. This CANNOT be correct. You go to the bar and drink three shots of Vodka real quick bang bang bang. You have a buzz in 15 minutes (or some people do). Obviously that isn't a two hour period. So either the writer of that article didn't take into consideration alcohol or it is just wrong.

Alcohol is absorbed straight through the stomach lining, which is why it hits you so fast. Water is absorbed in the small intestines for the most part, some in the large intestine, so it takes a bit longer. Also, the amount of liquid that needs to be absorbed is different. Once a few ounces of alcohol are absorbed you get buzzed, you need to absorb many many ounces of water to rehydrate.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Guest Snake McClain
That's a ton. I'd aim for a gallon. Spezzy is right on a lot of things, but forcing more than a gallon on yourself might be a bit extreme unless you're really working up a big sweat for a long period. Edit: Or really working your muscles like crazy a few times a day and need the water to flush your system more so than to hydrate.

Alcohol is absorbed straight through the stomach lining, which is why it hits you so fast. Water is absorbed in the small intestines for the most part, some in the large intestine, so it takes a bit longer. Also, the amount of liquid that needs to be absorbed is different. Once a few ounces of alcohol are absorbed you get buzzed, you need to absorb many many ounces of water to rehydrate.

True. but the original article at question did say ANY liquid...which is why I was confused. But you're absolutely right.

Yeah, but I tend to drink less than I aim for, so I think it'll even out. :)

I've gone through about 3 litres so far.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Yeah, but I tend to drink less than I aim for, so I think it'll even out. :)

I've gone through about 3 litres so far.

You Europeans spells "liters" funny.

500 / 330 / 625

I usually recommend 1 gallon unless you're working out way more, like I do. I personally NEED the extra water. I also don't drink anything else. People also, typically, drink about 3/4 of what I tell them to AT MOST. If not half.

I've personally never understood the whole "hard to drink water" thing - I'm one of those people that if I have water near me, I'll drink it.

And yeah. Alcohol works very differently in your system than water. Very different. Doesn't count, bruce :)

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
I usually recommend 1 gallon unless you're working out way more, like I do. I personally NEED the extra water. I also don't drink anything else.

Yeah, when people work out like Spezzy, they need the water more to flush out their system than to hydrate. Cell breakdown, muscles working, fat burning all creates waste, kinda like the exhaust from your car. It all gets dumped into your blood and sifted out by i believe the liver and kidneys and dumped in your urine. Gotta keep peeing to get it all out. On lifting days, I rarely get to clear even drinking a gallon a day.

500 / 330 / 625

Yeah, when people work out like Spezzy, they need the water more to flush out their system than to hydrate. Cell breakdown, muscles working, fat burning all creates waste, kinda like the exhaust from your car. It all gets dumped into your blood and sifted out by i believe the liver and kidneys and dumped in your urine. Gotta keep peeing to get it all out. On lifting days, I rarely get to clear even drinking a gallon a day.

haha yeah i try to stay clear. once we hit post it color or darker theres a problem.

I'm no longer an active member here. Please keep in touch:
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
Alcohol isn't water?

i think your punctuation is a bit off...

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.

I've been drinking a lot more water lately -- the heat at work has gone all wonky so I've been going through my 20-25 oz bottle two or three times before lunchtime instead of two or three times all day. Plus the 16+ oz I drink during workouts and what I drink at dinner and during the evenings. So about a gallon normally but lately closer to 1.5? Higher if you count my post-workout shake or the times I have tea.

i think your punctuation is a bit off...

What's wrong with my punctuation.

Only about 90% of it is. The other 10% is where deliciousness comes in

(Yes, I know it depends on the alcohol and what ABV is on the label. But 10% is a good number for beer/wine. Tequila drinkers need not apply)

The other 10% is also what makes the difference as subsequent posters have sufficiently pointed out. :P

Eat. Sleep. High bar squat. | Strength is a skill, refine it.
Follow my Weightlifting team's antics: Instagram | Facebook | Youtube
Looking for a strength program? Check out The Danger Method and remember to do your damn abs

Worth noting that the original article didn't say it takes two hours for the liquid to be absorbed - rather, that it takes two hours for the liquid to have any effect on hydration. I don't know enough about how absorption and secretion work to know if this is a distinction that makes a difference, but it might be.

LRB, Lifelong Rebel Badass  ||  June 3 challenge thread

"What I lack in ability, I make up in stubbornness" -me

"Someone busier than you is working out right now" -my mom

What's wrong with my punctuation.

not a thing? keep up the good work;

...we, each of us, are responsible for our own fulfillment. Nobody else can provide it for us, and to believe otherwise is to delude ourselves dangerously and to program for eventual failure every relationship we enter. - Tom Robbins

Current Challenge: Life, man.