Forums are back in action! ×

Hot Sauce, Mustard etc...

Hey guys, this is my first post. Just got the Deluxe version of Rebel Strength yesterday. I really enjoy the clarity and how concise it is written.

I'm doing Operation: Slim Down to start and have a question about condiments: What if anything is okay to put on grilled chicken, beef etc...I have heard that hot sauce and mustard were the healthiest condiments but I kinda wanted to make sure they would be okay before using them and possibly throwing my new diet off.

If they are okay, what are other non-dieting breaking condiments? I'll eat everything plain if that's the way it's gotta be, but I'd like to know what my options are. :)

Thanks!

Mustard is just vinegar and mustard seed so it too, is awesome. I really need a good link to the paleo flowchart, its great.

Other sauces I use are olive oil (I use this, balsamic, and brown mustard to make vinaigrette), ketchup, mayo. It's much more paleo if its homemade vtw. Oh, and homemade almond butter.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

i love frank's red hot sauce. I literally do put that shit on everything.

The first time I had a guy on the street give me a sample bottle telling me to "put that shit on everything" my mind was almost blown. First time someone tried to market something to me by swearing at me in public. Likely not the last now...heh.

Both Mustard and hot sauce are extremely low in calories, and I'd say go for it. When I grill chicken breasts, I either use garlic salt and black pepper, or I'll use a spice/rub mix like Roasted Garlic and Herb from Weber.

This whole post goes and no one mentions the Tabasco Chipotle Pepper Sauce? It gets hard for me to not go a couple days without putting it on something.
I tried it and thought it was ok. I much prefer the Cholula Chipotle sauce.
I use Sriracha pretty liberally on everything. Good stuff!!!
Spicy Cock Sauce!http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

post-70-13567243284647_thumb.jpg

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

Have you tried cooking your chicken breasts with herbs and spices? I like paprika on mine - so simple, so delish! I also had two quarter leg of chicken roasted in the oven with the skin on and a bit of chicken stock today - gawjeus!

Dont forget plan balsamic vinegar as an easy condiment.

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually afraid to make one. - Elbert Hubbard

Both Mustard and hot sauce are extremely low in calories, and I'd say go for it. When I grill chicken breasts, I either use garlic salt and black pepper, or I'll use a spice/rub mix like Roasted Garlic and Herb from Weber.I tried it and thought it was ok. I much prefer the Cholula Chipotle sauce.Spicy Cock Sauce!http://theoatmeal.com/comics/sriracha

I love The Oatmeal. That is one of my favorite of his.

All of these are great suggestions... I just have to add there is a link on the site for Son of Grok BBQ sauce. I made it with chicken the other night and it was so good! I think it's even better the next day. Paleo and SUPER easy to make.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Just look at what's in the salsa - if 'thickening agent' and 'sugar' is absent, it's probably OK for you. You can also do a quick salsa by putting two or three plum tomatoes, a small onion, a clove or two of garlic, cilantro and jalapenos to taste in a blender and letting it go until... salsa'ed. Better than grocery store can any day.

Other things to put on chicken: some adobo sauces are really good (chili and dark chocolate - mmm), you can mix it up with things like italian tomato sauce, lots of onions and garam masala for some indian pleasure (sounds dirty!), olives, tomatoes and onions for a greekish option, etc. I also do a 'carolina style' bbq sauce with mustard, cumin, garlic, and a bit of honey (probably not on the 'ok' list, but if you're desparate it's a really nice change from salty stuff) which you can give a brush to chicken while cooking for a really nice glaze.

Hey, the most paleo condiments are definitely spices, herbs, mustard and hot sauce. Just for the record, Braggs liquid amines are made with soy. If you want a soy free wheat free version of it look for NAMA Shoyu, though some tamari is without them. Check the labels.

Horseradish and wasabi are also amazing condiments. I also cook my chicken WITH the skin and eat it with the skin because the saturated fat is good for me, helps me stay full and helps me lose weight and with the skin and a few little spices it tastes amazing all by itself.

Also, remember to allow your cooked meat to rest. This means putting it under some foil to keep warm and allowing it to rest for about 10 minutes. This draws all the lovely juices back into the meat as the muscle fibers relax and the meat is even more tender and delicious. You should do this for ALL cooked meat but especially poultry, beef and game meat. Best of luck with your epic Quest!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!