Forums are back in action! ×

Death by Sudden Chill (and The Holidays)

So my backside is still killing me from how hard I've fallen off the band wagon starting in like, October. I had already lost a lot of consistency with my workouts before then but that's when my butt started being fused to the couch. I've been able to mostly avoid the "eat tons of crap" that comes with the holidays but between all this time off and the cold weather it seems I'm either staying with family(who DON'T workout..like ever) and lazing about with them, or snuggled up in my house trying to stay warm reading and/or binge watching Arrow and Flash..... unacceptable  :grumpy: I haven't been walking or assassin training lately cause it's normally dark when I get home/get up and there's been some er...crimes against the female population in my neighborhood recently. (bastards   :mad-new:

I finally started working out a few times a week in my liv room as of a week and a half ago but still, I've lost a lot of my gains! ARGH! My push-up numbers are fairly pansy-ish and let's just not discuss pull-ups. So I'm trying to keep up the reboot and don't want to wait until the new challenge but I need motivation for un-fusing my bum from the bed/couch (which means taking my eyes off my kindle) and ideas on not being bored since normally my workouts were at the park - I have kind of contemplated working out to audio-books but didn't want to pay for a subscription for them if the stunk.... any ideas?

1st  -  2nd  -  3rd  -  4th  -  Current Challenge

Ninja Assassin

No one believes our excuses but us... so let's stop making them and go accomplish something!

I listen to books from the library on my little mp3 player or on my computer.  Our library has a service that we can download a book or stream it from a browser.  That does help and it is free.  Have you checked with your library?  I know I hate indoor dreadmill boredom and exercise bike time when I am not able to get out.

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I didn't think about the library, that's a great idea. Then I could determine if audio books are worth the expenditure -our library is not super sophisticated so I'm not entirely certain they'll have them but it's definitely worth a try.

Yeah, treadmills are tantamount to torture for me as well :/ they are right up there with water boarding, boiled broccoli and canned green beans....

• Like 1

Ninja Assassin

No one believes our excuses but us... so let's stop making them and go accomplish something!

If you like audiobooks, try podcasts. Most of em are free. I'm hooked on "Welcome to Night Vale" although it's hardly a workout soundtrack.

Moving = warmer than sitting still, btw. Thoreau says so.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

If you like audiobooks, try podcasts. Most of em are free. I'm hooked on "Welcome to Night Vale" although it's hardly a workout soundtrack.

Love Night Vale!  So freaking weird.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

I know!!! It's ridiculously addictive. Anyone found anything similar? Cause nightvale is my draw/paint time so it's more likely to inspire me to creativity than exertion. But I like the idea of finding something similar. And yeah, yeah it's true move butt=warmer butt=less butt over time.  :playful: 

And if we are going to bring Thoreau into this I'd better just hang my head in shame and stop being a pansy  :cool-new:   -" Most of the luxuries and many of the so-called comforts of life are not only not indispensable, but positive hindrances to the elevation of mankind" -I'm thinking that's a NO on audio-books for working out and definitely TV in general....heehee.  ^-^

• Like 1

Ninja Assassin

Also, if you're into radio plays as well as audio books, there are gobs of classic radio series available for free download online. I'm working on Voyage of the Scarlet Queen right now.

Radio? Is that like podcasts or something different? Thanks for the suggestion. I think I must go research this, it sounds veeerrry interesting.......

• Like 1

Ninja Assassin

(facepalm)

You kids. Radio is this special kind of invisible light which is very long and carries vibrations which can be turned into sound. Before there was TV, there were radio shows. Podcasts are basically downloadable digitized mimics of what radio USED to be. They had news shows, action shows, game shows, soap operas, dramas, etc. Some of these, like "The Lone Ranger," now exist in downloadable form. Being essentially half hour narrated stories, the aural effect is not unlike audiobooks, but usually featuring multiple voices and sound effects.

• Like 2

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

(facepalm)

You kids. Radio is this special kind of invisible light which is very long and carries vibrations which can be turned into sound. Before there was TV, there were radio shows. Podcasts are basically downloadable digitized mimics of what radio USED to be. They had news shows, action shows, game shows, soap operas, dramas, etc. Some of these, like "The Lone Ranger," now exist in downloadable form. Being essentially half hour narrated stories, the aural effect is not unlike audiobooks, but usually featuring multiple voices and sound effects.

Simma down son, lol. I'm aware of radio plays in that sense (Mercury Theatre On The Air anyone?). There is, however, so many NEW things on the internet these days for all know the word could have changed to mean something else entirely. Hence the question.  :playful:

The short, short version is that radio plays are the audio-only predecessor to television shows. Radio plays are one of the things I can get pretty nerdy about.

That would be awesome, I didn't think about them being available online these days so I shall have to check them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Ninja Assassin