Forums are back in action! ×

I heard about NF for the first time on the Listen Money Matters podcast and I found it very intriguing. I’ve been checking out the site and reading the emails for about a week now, but I have some concerns.

I’ve never been good with diets. I’m always willing to try, but tend to quickly give up. I’ve often hesitated to pay for a diet/exercise book, subscription, etc. because I know full well I’ll give up within a couple of weeks and just waste my money. NF is $99 and while I fear its more money that will be wasted, I also know how much I would enjoy the idea of earning xp and leveling up.

I’m 41 years old, 5’4†and weigh around 190. I easily get out of breath climbing stairs and eat too much. The walking part I have no problem with. My wife and I are doing the Dave Ramsey thing, so I took a part time job delivering pizza for Caseys so I typically bypass 10,000 steps a day on days I work my normal job and the delivery job. On days I just work my normal job I tend to get around 6k to 9k, due to going on a 20 minute walk every day at lunch. BTW, I’m a java programmer, so I sit at a desk all day.

My goal is to get around 150 and to be able to do some of the things I did as a kid. I recall in HS I was able to walk on my hands the entire length of a basketball court. Right now if I even try a handstand I get a head rush and have to sit on the floor for a while.

I want to be able to walk on my hands again, climb stairs without breathing hard, and not have to move my stomach to make sure I’m pointing the right way at the urinal.

I guess my biggest question for myself is whether I’ll stick with it? I love playing D&D and have been doing so since 1st edition. I believe the leveling process of NF will keep me focused, but I’m still hesitant. I know myself and I'm fairly sure I'll give NF a try, hence why I went ahead and created an account here. I just hope when I do that the quests and xp keep me excited enough not to give up.

• Like 1

That podcast is the same exact reason I am here! I actually checked out NF about a year ago, I want to say, and then didn't really find much interest in it or something. I then heard the interview with Steve on Listen Money Matters, which is a miracle because I listened to it when I first got into podcasts but didn't like it too much. I decided to give ita  try again and it happened to be the interview with Steve which piqued my interest with NF. 

• Like 1

Tink the Friendly Ogre

Ogre | Level 0

| STR 0 | DEX | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 |

MAIN QUEST - Weigh below 300 lbs by June 1st (1.6 lbs per week)

GOAL 1 - Track all calories in MyFitnessPal|GOAL 2 - In bed by 11PM, out of bed by 7 AM|GOAL 3 - No more Soda!!

SIDE QUEST - Put an extra $100 towards debt.

Keep me Accountable! Add me on Facebook|MyFitnessPal Send me a PM first though!

My NF CharacterEpic Quest | Challenge 1

Well, I can't tell you if you'll stick to it or not.  If there's one piece of advice I can offer, it's to look for discipline in the little things.  There are some days that you'll be motivated highly, and others...well, those are the ones that you have to decide to do something even if you don't want to.  After doing that for a while, it gets easier.

It's a pleasure to have you with us.

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

Question, am I reading it correctly in that I'm supposed to finish the Mindset, Nutrition, and Fitness quests before starting any of the class quests? The way it reads I'm supposed to first complete the Mindset, then the Nutrition, and then the Fitness. If that's correct, then it would be a very long time before I ever get to the class quests.

I assume I'm reading it incorrectly.

Question, am I reading it correctly in that I'm supposed to finish the Mindset, Nutrition, and Fitness quests before starting any of the class quests? The way it reads I'm supposed to first complete the Mindset, then the Nutrition, and then the Fitness. If that's correct, then it would be a very long time before I ever get to the class quests.

I assume I'm reading it incorrectly.

I assume you're talking about the academy? That isn't required to be part of the forums. Feel free to jump right in.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log