Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

OK I'll do that, here's hoping that I'll see her again. Heh, my job is just answering phone calls and opening the door, not much else :tongue:

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Chiming in for Red to actually counter-point a bit here... Don't hang around her *too* much, yah know? Before you know it, you are known to her... friends as that 'creeper who keeps hanging around me'.

I'd say watch for opportunities, but don't like try to keep her in your sights, don't stare, and for the love of god no heavy breathing :P

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

Ok guys, I am kind of an expert on winning over the ladies (trust me, I saw twilight). The key to winning over the girls is to stare at her and tell her she stinks. Then, follow her around. When she goes to bed, climb into her window and watch her. It also helps to be super pale (the sun is your enemy in this regard) and to dye your eyes red. Trust me, works everytime :cool-new:

:D

Chiming in for Red to actually counter-point a bit here... Don't hang around her *too* much, yah know? Before you know it, you are known to her... friends as that 'creeper who keeps hanging around me'.

I'd say watch for opportunities, but don't like try to keep her in your sights, don't stare, and for the love of god no heavy breathing :P

Read that as "keep her in your thighs" NOT GOOD. Don't do that Red...

"Strength is the cup. The bigger the cup, the more you can put in" - JDanger

Damn... Maybe we can just say we are dividing by 0 and get undefined? Saying the success rate of it is undefined sounds so much better than it has a 0% chance of working.

No, because you can divide 0 by itself and get a reasonable answer. A good one is the limit as x approaches zero of sin(x)/x, which is 1, even though you you're dividing by zero.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I love how advice for my love life has turned into a Mathematical equation that's either 0 or undefined.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Ok guys, I am kind of an expert on winning over the ladies (trust me, I saw twilight). The key to winning over the girls is to stare at her and tell her she stinks. Then, follow her around. When she goes to bed, climb into her window and watch her. It also helps to be super pale (the sun is your enemy in this regard) and to dye your eyes red. Trust me, works everytime :cool-new:

:D

Well, this is a total load of... AWESOME! I'm set, I already have the pale, watching them sleep and the red eyes from lack of sleep. All I need to do is increase the insult levels and I'm golden.

No, because you can divide 0 by itself and get a reasonable answer. A good one is the limit as x approaches zero of sin(x)/x, which is 1, even though you you're dividing by zero.

Hmmm... I never knew that, maybe I need to take another math class now.

I love how advice for my love life has turned into a Mathematical equation that's either 0 or undefined.

Well, you are asking for advice on your love life from nerds... And since we don't all know you too well, let's just say your love life is undefined.

--

Oh, and I have yet again another update in The Trials of Love, as told by LeadChipmunk.

I (being the almighty LeadChipmunk) was stuck at work tonight. I wasn't the happiest because of being rushed out the door, forgetting my hoodie and coat with the temperature dropping into the 50's tonight, and forgetting my hat or to do anything with my hair after the shower. Me and my partner were walking towards the lower level apartments tonight when he noticed my hair and how the barber lady butchered it, a few minutes later we came across a couple ladies who live there and started shooting the breeze (Damn thing is hard to hit, it doesn't stop moving.) After a few minutes of playing with Hot Wheels (yes, it was fun), one happened to notice my butchered hair and offered to fix it for me. I agreed, and another tenant lady said she'd do it. This lady was BEAUTIFUL, though quite pregnant (not a rare sight around here). We talked for the next hour as she was cutting my hair and the first lady kept flirting with me. Well, I was/am sorta interested in the lady cutting my hair and we all were talking about how I can now go up to the top level apartments and pick up some good looking girls now that I got my hair fixed. The lady cutting my hair then goes "Well, I'm out. I'm already taken."

Damn... once again I got beaten by going after the taken girls. Well, there was that and company policy (and general good idea) of not dating anybody from the housing projects that we work at. But still... Damn...

Good news, I was turned down before making an ass of myself, I got a free haircut and killed 2 hours of my 8 hour shift in the process.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Um, no... dividing zero by zero doesn't give you any reasonable answer.

a. Dividing 0 by any number gets you 0 (e.g. 0/1=0, 0/5=0)

b. Dividing any number by itself gets you 1 (e.g. 1/1=1, 5/5=1)

These alone instantly suggest that 0/0=0 and 0/0=1 at the same time. But...

c. Never attempt to divide by zero!

It just doesn't work. Remember, zero is not *technically* a number. It's the absence of value. Even in a less abstract sense, it doesn't work as a number. Zero apples are the same as zero oranges. Sharing out zero apples amongst five people is nonsense.

Even powers of zero are weird. Raise 0^x for any positive x and the result is 0. Negative x leads to... trouble... But what about 0^0? Raising any x^0 gets us 1, but there's no reason to suppose that beyond "it fits the pattern". x^1 is x, so divide by x and you get x^0=1. But in the sense that x^n is n x's multiplied together, why would no x's be 1? We can't do that trick with 0 (0^n/0 does not become 0^n-1).

So what proportion is 0/0 as a percentage? Some would say 0%. Some would say 100%. Me, I'd advise "n/a".

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

0 must now be banned from the number system! We should go back to Mesopotamian times and just use it as a place holder! Also, sure, you can count in decimal, binary, and hexadecimal. But can you count in sexagesimal (base 60)? The Mesopotamians did.

Level 1 Woodwose

Guest Snake McClain

--

Oh, and I have yet again another update in The Trials of Love, as told by LeadChipmunk.

I (being the almighty LeadChipmunk) was stuck at work tonight. I wasn't the happiest because of being rushed out the door, forgetting my hoodie and coat with the temperature dropping into the 50's tonight, and forgetting my hat or to do anything with my hair after the shower. Me and my partner were walking towards the lower level apartments tonight when he noticed my hair and how the barber lady butchered it, a few minutes later we came across a couple ladies who live there and started shooting the breeze (Damn thing is hard to hit, it doesn't stop moving.) After a few minutes of playing with Hot Wheels (yes, it was fun), one happened to notice my butchered hair and offered to fix it for me. I agreed, and another tenant lady said she'd do it. This lady was BEAUTIFUL, though quite pregnant (not a rare sight around here). We talked for the next hour as she was cutting my hair and the first lady kept flirting with me. Well, I was/am sorta interested in the lady cutting my hair and we all were talking about how I can now go up to the top level apartments and pick up some good looking girls now that I got my hair fixed. The lady cutting my hair then goes "Well, I'm out. I'm already taken."

Damn... once again I got beaten by going after the taken girls. Well, there was that and company policy (and general good idea) of not dating anybody from the housing projects that we work at. But still... Damn...

Good news, I was turned down before making an ass of myself, I got a free haircut and killed 2 hours of my 8 hour shift in the process.

free hair cut? Check. Good time flirting? check. Killed time at work and didn't make an ass of yourself? check and check. sounds good to me.

so the girl i got the number from the other day? after talking to her it has been made clear to me she is sort of a lazy person with no ambition or drive. Not my kind of person at all. Oh well.

so the girl i got the number from the other day? after talking to her it has been made clear to me she is sort of a lazy person with no ambition or drive. Not my kind of person at all. Oh well.

And now you know, whereas if you didn't do anything you'd wonder about her. Now you don't need to.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Um, no... dividing zero by zero doesn't give you any reasonable answer.

a. Dividing 0 by any number gets you 0 (e.g. 0/1=0, 0/5=0)

b. Dividing any number by itself gets you 1 (e.g. 1/1=1, 5/5=1)

These alone instantly suggest that 0/0=0 and 0/0=1 at the same time. But...

c. Never attempt to divide by zero!

It just doesn't work. Remember, zero is not *technically* a number. It's the absence of value. Even in a less abstract sense, it doesn't work as a number. Zero apples are the same as zero oranges. Sharing out zero apples amongst five people is nonsense.

Even powers of zero are weird. Raise 0^x for any positive x and the result is 0. Negative x leads to... trouble... But what about 0^0? Raising any x^0 gets us 1, but there's no reason to suppose that beyond "it fits the pattern". x^1 is x, so divide by x and you get x^0=1. But in the sense that x^n is n x's multiplied together, why would no x's be 1? We can't do that trick with 0 (0^n/0 does not become 0^n-1).

So what proportion is 0/0 as a percentage? Some would say 0%. Some would say 100%. Me, I'd advise "n/a".

You can "divide by zero" if you define it as a limit. So you go lim(sin(x)/x) as x approaches 0. You'd say this limit does not exist, because, well, you can't divide by zero. But because the numerator becomes zero as well, you have a limit that goes to zero in both the numerator and denominator. You also have a differentiable function in both the numerator and denominator, so you can use L'Hôpital's rule to calculate the limit. The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and the derivative of x is 1. So you get lim(sin(x)/x) = lim(cos(x)/1) = lim(cos(x)) as x approaches 0. But this limit exists and it is simply cos(0)=1.

0/0 is indeed an ill-defined expression. It has not much meaning. But if you express those zeroes as a limit, then sometimes you can.

Your argument is faulty as you are relying on the informal concept of "if a lot of numbers have the property, all numbers must have the property", but this is not necessarily the case. 0 is a very special number. For instance, dividing any number by any other number gets you a new number. But this is not the case for zero. Also, every number is either positive or negative. Not the case for zero.

Usually 0^0=1, by convention. But you can make it indeterminate as well, doesn't really matter.

Chipmunk, of course I can count in sexagesimal. Hell, I could count in base 13561 if I wanted. But that sucks.

Guest Snake McClain
And now you know, whereas if you didn't do anything you'd wonder about her. Now you don't need to.

fo sho.

You can "divide by zero" if you define it as a limit. So you go lim(sin(x)/x) as x approaches 0. You'd say this limit does not exist, because, well, you can't divide by zero. But because the numerator becomes zero as well, you have a limit that goes to zero in both the numerator and denominator. You also have a differentiable function in both the numerator and denominator, so you can use L'Hôpital's rule to calculate the limit. The derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and the derivative of x is 1. So you get lim(sin(x)/x) = lim(cos(x)/1) = lim(cos(x)) as x approaches 0. But this limit exists and it is simply cos(0)=1.

0/0 is indeed an ill-defined expression. It has not much meaning. But if you express those zeroes as a limit, then sometimes you can.

Your argument is faulty as you are relying on the informal concept of "if a lot of numbers have the property, all numbers must have the property", but this is not necessarily the case. 0 is a very special number. For instance, dividing any number by any other number gets you a new number. But this is not the case for zero. Also, every number is either positive or negative. Not the case for zero.

Usually 0^0=1, by convention. But you can make it indeterminate as well, doesn't really matter.

Chipmunk, of course I can count in sexagesimal. Hell, I could count in base 13561 if I wanted. But that sucks.

Also, Math.

Ah yes, the calculus approach. It's interesting to note that this isn't universally effective - use bad limits, and you end up with infinite problems. :-P

This is a very sneaky approach. We cannot divide by zero - but we can sneak up on it while it's not looking...

Zero is beyond special - it is unique. It's arguably not a number at all, but without it a lot of proper numbers would look very silly.

Just to be pernickity, by the way, if you divide any number by 1 you don't get a new number...

You've reminded me of the old joke - there are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't...

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

Ah yes, the calculus approach. It's interesting to note that this isn't universally effective - use bad limits, and you end up with infinite problems. :-P

This is a very sneaky approach. We cannot divide by zero - but we can sneak up on it while it's not looking...

Zero is beyond special - it is unique. It's arguably not a number at all, but without it a lot of proper numbers would look very silly.

Just to be pernickity, by the way, if you divide any number by 1 you don't get a new number...

I didn't specify the 'new number' had to be different from the old number. :P

Also, it isn't about numbers. It's about sets and member of and operators! And the Axiom of Choice! And ZF1-8!

Snake: come at me bro.

I think the universe of meme's is trying to tell us all something about dividing by zero, lets review shall we? For humor, the best meme's I have found to teach us this lesson are:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3715[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3716[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3718[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3719[/ATTACH]

"First, decide who you would be and then do what you must do." ~Epictetus 

Anybody can as long as they know the basis of number systems. But I meant off the top of their heads, almost as quick as in decimal. I can do it for binary, trinary, decimal (of course) and have attempted to teach myself tridecimal. But sexagesimal is a bit beyond my powers of quick multiplication.

I have a question I always wondered about. If the supposed reasoning for our using of the decimal system is because we have 10 fingers, shouldn't we be using undecimal (base 11)? That would use all fingers to count in the ones place and require another set for the 11s place. It just seems make more sense.

I think the universe of meme's is trying to tell us all something about dividing by zero, lets review shall we? For humor, the best meme's I have found to teach us this lesson are:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3719[/ATTACH]

Sorry, that one was me...

Level 1 Woodwose

Base six would be most efficient. Then we could count up to 35 on our fingers (one hand for units, one hand for multiples of six).

Binary would be more efficient still. I'm almost as quick with binary/hex as I am with decimal bit that's the combination of a youth (mis?)spent writing 8 bit computer games for my own amusement and working with tcp/ip networks for a couple of years before NAT etc. so having to be able to super/subnet in my head.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

Base six would be most efficient. Then we could count up to 35 on our fingers (one hand for units, one hand for multiples of six).

I actually count in my fingers in binary. Using both hands, I can count up to 1023. That was how I first taught myself binary instead of doing conversions on paper, and it has just stuck.

Came here for men issues, stayed for the math.

Math is a man issue! The most noble of man's issues too!

Level 1 Woodwose