Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain

i dont have much to say about it except that today was the funeral and it was pretty rough. since i was the friend there that knew him the longest i spoke a bit. hard to do while grieving for sure. rough day all around. To be honest i'm feeling pretty fucking awful right now.

Sorry bro, but if it is any help, today will most likely be the hardest day in the grieving process. It can only get better from here.

Guys, question time. I'm considering shaving my head, and I remember that a good bit of you do it for one reason or another. So, here are my questions, I've never done it before, should I have a barber do the first shave? I somehow manage to miss parts of my beard when shaving, so I'm not too trusting of myself to not leave patches.

And followup question, how do you do it and how often (extra knowledge in case I like it enough to keep it shaven)?

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Guys, question time. I'm considering shaving my head, and I remember that a good bit of you do it for one reason or another. So, here are my questions, I've never done it before, should I have a barber do the first shave? I somehow manage to miss parts of my beard when shaving, so I'm not too trusting of myself to not leave patches.

And followup question, how do you do it and how often (extra knowledge in case I like it enough to keep it shaven)?

Personally I just keep my hair really short, it seems to disguise the thin-ness the best. Right now is about as long as my hair ever gets, and it just barely sticks out past my fingers if I comb them through. I have my barber tend to the thinning crop when I go in for my hot shave every days off, but if you're looking for one solid length it'll be plenty easy to do with an electric razor. Are you looking to go right to scalp, or just get your hair REALLY short?

i dont have much to say about it except that today was the funeral and it was pretty rough. since i was the friend there that knew him the longest i spoke a bit. hard to do while grieving for sure. rough day all around. To be honest i'm feeling pretty fucking awful right now.

I'm so sorry for your loss Snake. I know how horrible funerals are, especially for a loved one. And I know what an awful bitch Cancer is. We're here for you if you need to talk about it.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Personally I just keep my hair really short, it seems to disguise the thin-ness the best. Right now is about as long as my hair ever gets, and it just barely sticks out past my fingers if I comb them through. I have my barber tend to the thinning crop when I go in for my hot shave every days off, but if you're looking for one solid length it'll be plenty easy to do with an electric razor. Are you looking to go right to scalp, or just get your hair REALLY short?

I'm thinking I want to go to the scalp bald and if I don't like it, I'll let it grow back naturally and see if I like the REALLY short hair.

Level 1 Woodwose

I'm thinking I want to go to the scalp bald and if I don't like it, I'll let it grow back naturally and see if I like the REALLY short hair.

That might be a bit trickier to do yourself as most electric razors, even on the zero setting (with no attachment on, i.e. the shortest settting), won't got actually bald just really short. So to get the bald look you'd have to go over it with a set of electric clippers (which is easy enough to do yourself) and then go over it again with a wet razor, which I've never tried but I'd imagine it's a fair bit trickier than using clippers.

Doing a short cut all over is easy though, just grab the clippers and go over your head until all your hair is the same length. The attachment stops you from going wrong and all you need to worry about is using a mirror or a person to check that you haven't left any patches round the back where you can't see

First time, have a barber do it. If you like it and want to keep it, invest in a good quality razor. I use a Wahl Baldfader and it's been great for 4 years now.

As for technique, think of it like mowing a lawn. Start at one sideburn and do vertical stripes all the way around, overlapping each by 50%. Then do horizontal.

After that, feel your head all over with your hands. You should be able to feel longer bits if you are shaving close to the scalp.

Trouble spots for me are the nuque (bony bit at the back) and back top sides. Check the mirror for visible stuff too.

I usually shave once a fortnight or so, and before special occasions.

It's not as hard as it seems at first...you'll get used to it ;)

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

I do it every couple of days, in the shower, usually with a double bladed disposable. There is a lot more surface area than your face so razors don't last as long and more stubble so they clog up faster. Don't press hard. You'll probably be surprised at which way the grain of you hair grows (I have several swirls that didn't matter when it was longer). I'd suggest doing it the first few times on the weekend or when you have time for nicks to heal. Depending on your relationship status, your significant other may be willing to help...

If you're balding you already know this but..a shaved head sunburns easily, are sensitive to hot and cold, have nothing to keep sweat/water off your face and show every nick and bump. Its also a great way to hide your age.

wildross - warriors count tons, not reps

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Guest Snake McClain

I think the shaved head look is AWESOME! if you have the right shaped head. i do not. So i am thankful i have hair. if I were to lose my hair i could shave my head and be fine but..meh. The shaved head looks good on the front angle for me but not the side. i have a weird mishsapen head on the back because of some abuse as a child. (wont get into that). so i cant really pull it off. From the front i look pretty cool. but the side view is not attractive. so i keep my hair. :D

I say this. if your head is overall pretty well shaped GO FOR IT! Bald is awesome. especially with a rockin pair of aviators.

i've added some interesting links

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/mens-fashion/head-shaving-for-men-041912

http://au.askmen.com/fashion/fashiontip_100/139_fashion_advice.html

probably the best of the links i have here... http://www.destinyman.com/article/shaving-your-head-2011-08-23

Guest Snake McClain

and now i'm wanting to change my hairstyle. LOL

either back to a bit longer like so https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/250297_10150191985885168_6866737_n.jpg and https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/267896_10150239596020168_2572713_n.jpg

or shaving it down to a guard 2ish. which is the least of my favorite of the two options. I just feel that my full mohawk has run its course a bit (moahwk seen here) https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s720x720/523342_442148242496807_1716909469_n.jpg and https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/486409_443997568977641_699154999_n.jpg These are the two best shots of it i have. just prior to getting cut (so the sides were a bit longer than usual). Thoughts?

Personally i like the first option best as it goes back to a more primal wolfman bruce look which i dig. if i keep my facial hair at a reasonable stubble length i dont look too homeless.

Sorry bro, but if it is any help, today will most likely be the hardest day in the grieving process. It can only get better from here.

Learn from nature and plan on doing two shaves the first time. First, take a warm shower (should be standard prep for any kind of shaving). Then shave. Now, take a cool to cold shower. What you want to do here is be a raccoon and use the cool water to make your fingers sensitive enough to feel any rough spots, where they are, and what direction the grain of the hair is. Then shave again and correct.

Of course you can always just learn from the classic prank. I have a couple buddies who have come out of the shower looking like Lex Luthor after someone put hair remover in their shampoo bottle so you can always try that route. Just watch out for your eyebrows...

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

Thanks guys. I'm going to my barber Tuesday and I'll have him do it the first time. After that, I'll look into getting a good shaver and double blade razors if I want to upkeep.

If you're balding you already know this but..a shaved head sunburns easily, are sensitive to hot and cold, have nothing to keep sweat/water off your face and show every nick and bump. Its also a great way to hide your age.

Not balding yet (I know, I know, I'm wasting a good head of hair. Haha), nor am I trying to hide my age, at 22 I don't really have much to hide. Basically I'm doing this because I want to change it up and pretty much the only things I haven't done are buzz cut and bald. And I figure go all the way. Thanks for the warning about the sunburn and everything else though.

By the way, I passed this by my girls (the few friends I have that are close enough to be sisters) and got a resounding "no". My favorite was one girl's response of "Objection!" then, no matter what I said, she said nothing except "Noooooooo!". Haha

--EDIT--

Missed that there was another page of comments.

Snake, thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out. Also, I think the 'hawk looks best, but if you want a change, you really rock the longer look (like in the one with the Captain America shirt).

I feel you about wanting a new cut. Currently mine is like this, but that's only on the days I take the effort to part it, otherwise I keep it messy and it looks pretty good, if a little long in the bangs (No pictures, I tend to avoid them at all costs). If I grow it a little longer, I can really pull off a Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic look.

Church, I know if I do the hair remover trick, I will get the eyebrows, and probably runoff into the chest hair too. Not a good idea for me. Haha

Level 1 Woodwose

Funny, I just had my friend shave my head bald 2 days ago. Have to say... mixed reactions, and feelings, here. Particularly from parents, who are... less than pleased. At the same time, I actually like the sweat not clinging to my hair (even buzzed short) while working out, and I think I can make it look alright once I get my goatee in more. Although the weirdness of my skin actually feeling hot, cold, wind, pillow, etc. is kind of bugging me out. Overall, I am probably sticking with my hair buzzed short.

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

Funny, I just had my friend shave my head bald 2 days ago. Have to say... mixed reactions, and feelings, here. Particularly from parents, who are... less than pleased. At the same time, I actually like the sweat not clinging to my hair (even buzzed short) while working out, and I think I can make it look alright once I get my goatee in more. Although the weirdness of my skin actually feeling hot, cold, wind, pillow, etc. is kind of bugging me out. Overall, I am probably sticking with my hair buzzed short.

The heat from the sun can be surprising...going outside without a hat at about 10F with a good wind and a shaved head...only once will you voluntarily do this. Hair really is a version of fur... Welcome to the shiny dome brigade!

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Wow, these shaved heads are becoming a trend! I'm holding fast to my colored hair strands, lest I lose my nickname, Red.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Wow, these shaved heads are becoming a trend! I'm holding fast to my colored hair strands, lest I lose my nickname, Red.

Well, if you shave your head, you'll probably get a good sunburn and can keep your name

Level 1 Woodwose

Well, if you shave your head, you'll probably get a good sunburn and can keep your name

:P Very funny!

Oh and Bruce, I'm currently coming up on the anniversary of the passing of a loved one, so I can relate to the feelings of pain and loss.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Guest Snake McClain
Thanks guys. I'm going to my barber Tuesday and I'll have him do it the first time. After that, I'll look into getting a good shaver and double blade razors if I want to upkeep.

Not balding yet (I know, I know, I'm wasting a good head of hair. Haha), nor am I trying to hide my age, at 22 I don't really have much to hide. Basically I'm doing this because I want to change it up and pretty much the only things I haven't done are buzz cut and bald. And I figure go all the way. Thanks for the warning about the sunburn and everything else though.

By the way, I passed this by my girls (the few friends I have that are close enough to be sisters) and got a resounding "no". My favorite was one girl's response of "Objection!" then, no matter what I said, she said nothing except "Noooooooo!". Haha

--EDIT--

Missed that there was another page of comments.

Snake, thanks for the links. I'll definitely check them out. Also, I think the 'hawk looks best, but if you want a change, you really rock the longer look (like in the one with the Captain America shirt).

I feel you about wanting a new cut. Currently mine is like this, but that's only on the days I take the effort to part it, otherwise I keep it messy and it looks pretty good, if a little long in the bangs (No pictures, I tend to avoid them at all costs). If I grow it a little longer, I can really pull off a Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic look.

Church, I know if I do the hair remover trick, I will get the eyebrows, and probably runoff into the chest hair too. Not a good idea for me. Haha

the Leo "titanic" look is cool. I liked his hair a lot in inception.

Give me a good hair day and enough Groom & Clean and I can do that pretty well too. It is relatively similar to the Titanic look, though more mature. The length is just about the same, it just lays better instead of falling as much. At least that's what I get from pictures, haven't seen Inception yet.

Level 1 Woodwose

Guest Snake McClain

i sure am. it's been fun let me tell ya. #Sarcasm

good news is i have the fire in me to focus and get on the personal training thing. 100%. also my writing. just need to get to work on it.

Guest Snake McClain

guys i'm in really rough shape right now. i'm not sure what i even have to say about it. i just feel really...just...really awful. i'm not sure what i even want to say but i want to say a lot. and yet because this is a public forum i can't/won't. this sucks.