Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Its Youtube commenters. That is pretty much to be expected, since, you know, GIFT. Although I do agree that there should be no reason to not just skip (unlesss you are protesting or something.) But... yeah, not really an equal reaction to the statement at all.

Also, I'm going to be joining this thread now. Because it looks like it is filled with cool guys (and occasional girls?)

Race: Human

Class: Warrior

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

Violence is never the first answer. Tell them they're just little kids, and there is no cutting in line. When that doesn't work, violence is acceptable. Ok, it still isn't acceptable. But if these guys are inept as you say, they shouldn't last much longer if your boss is worth his/her salt.

Digits, it is YouTube. You can't expect any sort of civility there. Especially with a comment like the one you said.

They are inept, but the problem with this industry is that WHO you know is far more important than literally anything else. They all think that they're hot shit cuz one of them has an uncle or something in the office. Either way they get away with murder. If ANYONE else did HALF of what these guys did we'd be hitchhiking home in a heartbeat.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

They are inept, but the problem with this industry is that WHO you know is far more important than literally anything else. They all think that they're hot shit cuz one of them has an uncle or something in the office. Either way they get away with murder. If ANYONE else did HALF of what these guys did we'd be hitchhiking home in a heartbeat.

That is all too prevalent in any industry, and it makes the job harder than it should.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

It sort of makes one miss Genghis Khan. Yeah, sure, he had a rep for mass slaughter and the use of terror tactics... but dang it, the guy had only one qualification for a position: how qualified you are for it. If you were a woman, had a sound strategic mind, obviously good for advice? Then he'd do so.

I'll never understand why merit is not kept at the top of considerations like it should be...

CAUTION: I am quite prone to random, strange ideas I feel the need to express. You are free to act upon them as you wish. The best option is probably simply ignoring them and just working with what I say that actually has any merit of some kind. Hopefully fair warning.

It sort of makes one miss Genghis Khan. Yeah, sure, he had a rep for mass slaughter and the use of terror tactics... but dang it, the guy had only one qualification for a position: how qualified you are for it. If you were a woman, had a sound strategic mind, obviously good for advice? Then he'd do so.

I'll never understand why merit is not kept at the top of considerations like it should be...

Because humans are vain, and ultimately those in power are generally insecure and would rather have someone stroke their ego over someone with skill/knowledge/etc.

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I mean, I "understand" it, but I don't fundamentally get it. Then again, I try to be as logical and practical as possible in serious matters, so... meh. All I know is, so far in my life, when it was a choice between "stroking my ego" and doing what is most merited, whether for myself or between others, I tried my hardest to make it the latter. /rant

Its Youtube commenters. That is pretty much to be expected, since, you know, GIFT. Although I do agree that there should be no reason to not just skip (unlesss you are protesting or something.) But... yeah, not really an equal reaction to the statement at all.

If I say "I ain't watching that shit", I'm not watching it. Ergo I'm skipping it.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

OKAY GUYS,.....next manly question...

This is a BIG BIG BIG one for me. Maybe the biggest.

I am currently enrolled in school for computer programming. This is my first week. And to tell you the truth I have no desire to do this. I am doing it because it a) will give me a good income when I get a job and B) will be a job that has benefits and insurance and retirement plans and all that crap. those two things (a and B) is because I have a lady in my life with a son. i want a family one day (even if they arent it) and i need to know I can provide for them. this is sort of a big deal to me because I know she needs to be sure that the man she is with can help her and not be a burden. I would NEVER let that happen. But...still. The thing is I need to do what I love. I will hate my life if I'm doing this computer thing. I will hate myself if I am in school for this (most likely). I need to do what I NEED TO DO. And I'm concerned she won't be on board. I mentioned it once before to her and she seemed super excited. Then it was put in her head by her friend that it isn't a ton of money etc. BUt it can totally be a living. and I have a plan I'd like to put into place once I was training people for a while. This is something I am incredibly serious about.

Now the issue. Should I go for my dream? OR do I go the safe route that will kill me inside but never have me concerned financially? I know I can make it work the training route. I don't want anything else. That and to be a writer but yeah that's not the issue here.

How do I tell my lady that if I'm going to do this I need her on board?

Do I continue in school with what I'm doing and hope that I can make time for personal training on the side? I have to get certified and all of that too. so that is a whole other thing. I'm really torn on this and it all feels very heavy on me right now.

As a programmer, I can tell you that you are better off finding something else if you don't really like it. Many jobs out there you could do with lesser training and make more starting off even if long term it will make less. Look at satellite dish installer, truck driver, etc. The training is much shorter term and the pay is good. I had a friend that did a milk delivery and was done shortly after noon. He was making just under $50,000 a year. That would give you plenty of time to do a side job developing it to what you really want. If it still in your head that you need a college degree then look at nursing. The hours can be flexible, the pay is good, and you can get health benefits.

Dwarf Monk

Challenge thread

You won't get very far if you don't like it. When my wife and I met (she's a front end developer), so was putting in day after day after day of 12-14 hours and while it was exhausting she only did it because she loved it (didn't get paid a penny more than her salary). Fast forward 6 or some odd years later and she's close to doubled her salary while working a firm 8-9 hours a day. She only got through the first few years because she loved what she did. Any other way and she would've bailed or burnt out from the stress.

There's a lot of jobs out there to do for money that you don't love, but I haven't known any remotely successful developers who aren't totally in love with what they do, at least on some level. I wanted to be a developer when I was younger and luckily realized I hated it, too.

That being said, find what you like / love, work towards it diligently, put in your time at the bottom and work on up. You'll more likely to find success and happiness if you're honest and hard-working, even if you only enjoy 25% of your job. If you know now that you don't like any of it, who are you kidding? You're going to waste time doing something that will give you no satisfaction.

Guest Snake McClain

ive realized in my classes so far that programming is probably not for me but i am really liking the net working stuff (a bit hands on hardware and a bit on the software side too) i am really liking that a lot.

ive realized in my classes so far that programming is probably not for me but i am really liking the net working stuff (a bit hands on hardware and a bit on the software side too) i am really liking that a lot.

I'm sure you can switch pretty easily over to a network/it emphasis after this semester without having lost too much momentum, and you'll still have some good earning potential. How did it go with the whole moving out thing?

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I love programming, but can't stay focused enough yet to learn it though. Networking is my second favorite. Relatively easy to pick up, and really good money in it also. Lots of jobs avail for networking guys.

Guest Snake McClain

Bad news guys. I'm just hear to vent it out. A very good and old friend of mine has been battling cancer the past four or five years. He died last night. He'd be fine for a while, get it again. Eventually it just caught up to him. Too many runs of chemo and...just the whole bit. I'm so bummed right now. I've known this man since we were 5 or 6. We were the first to stick up for each other as kids. Birthday parties. all that stuff. Really sucks seeing my friend go. His wife and daughter are left behind. Daughter is 7 and all she knew of her dad was him being sick over and over again. A real bummer. I'm super super sad right now.

Bad news guys. I'm just hear to vent it out. A very good and old friend of mine has been battling cancer the past four or five years. He died last night. He'd be fine for a while, get it again. Eventually it just caught up to him. Too many runs of chemo and...just the whole bit. I'm so bummed right now. I've known this man since we were 5 or 6. We were the first to stick up for each other as kids. Birthday parties. all that stuff. Really sucks seeing my friend go. His wife and daughter are left behind. Daughter is 7 and all she knew of her dad was him being sick over and over again. A real bummer. I'm super super sad right now.

That's awful man :( Sorry for your loss.

It is worth noting that this here is an epic quote that has a myriad of useful applications.

While not as usefully encompassing the totality of conversation a la Hitler, one can see the meme potential here.

Absolutely. But what form would this meme take?

So sorry to hear about your loss. :( I know it is hard but keep your head up for the sake of his family and be strong for them.

Reach your limits and then surpass them.

Blindasutsutsu
My Current Challenge:
Class: Ranger
STR:13.5 DEX:8.5 STA: 10.5 CON:6 WIS:5 CHA:6.5

Guest Snake McClain

thanks everyone. i know that as hard as it is for me its even harder on his wife and daughter. heading to tennessee shortly to go down there. funeral is tomorrow and probably going to stay the majority of the weekend. this is a tough one.

You have my condolences, Bruce, the family will be in my prayers.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."