Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

I also took progress pictures for the first time in 1.5 months. It's amazing what bodyweight exercise can do! \o/

Lookin good.

My chest is absolutely exploding as of late, I only use weights when I'm too tired to keep going on the pushups (my 35 lb dumbells resistance-wise are pitiful next to a decline pushup, which for me clock in at 155 lb at the top of the motion and 175 lb at the bottom (when done on a scale)).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

I consider this movie more manly than Rambo.

Speaking of Rambo, that movie is way more of a bummer than I thought it was. I saw it (First Blood) for the first time about a year ago.

My roommates and I have a thing where once in a while we will drink 40's and watch a ridiculous action movie (e.g. Robocop, Commando). That time it was First Blood.

The plan: drink 40's, watch Rambo, see what happens.

The result: dance party.

40's night is awesome.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

More whining, pissing, and moaning about love life...

I'm getting sick and tired of hearing women go on about their 'type' of man being 6'2" or taller, broad shouldered, and dark, full hair.

Just once, a little love for the short (5'7"-5'9" depending on who is measuring) broad everything, balding since we were 16 guys, please?

Well, I'm 6'3", broad-shouldered, but with a "slightly" receding hairline. The height and broad shoulders haven't helped me much yet, so don't listen to the women talking about their "type". In reality, their type is much more than a height, full hair, etc.....I don't match their type...yet.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

I refuse to let this thread fall.

Start listing your Manly Man role models (fictional or non-ficitonal):

- Mine, first and foremost, is Captain America, believe it or not. I have always been a huge dude and been called "Hulk" and "Juggernaut" my whole life, but I am know I am a leader on the inside with high integrity.

- Maximus from "Gladiator." This dude could make Leonidas poop his pants if he wanted to. A real man's man. I personally really identify with gladiators in general, and I bet my life I would have been one if I was born in Rome at that time. I just have passion for being a warrior, and Maximus is a warrior's warrior.

- My grandpa and dad. Both are very similar. Both are extremely wise, and just know which decision is always the best in any situation. My grandpa was a cop, detective, and started a scuba rescue team in his town all before he died at 52.

EDIT: Forgot one. Apostle Peter. Don't care if you are Christian or not, he's pretty awesome. Knows when to take action, and knows when to admit he screwed up big time. Great leader, very strong character. We also have the same Meyers-Briggs (ESTP).

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

My dad - Really cool and collected. If he gets angry, you have screwed up big time and you know it.

I don't know who else. I don't really do the whole 'role models' thing. I think of what I want to be (what, not who) and try to become just that. I don't really associate that with certain people.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

My dad died when I was 11, so I wonder what he would have thought of me. I know that his experiences were very different from mine. He grew up the 2nd oldest of 5 brothers, and dirt poor in Alabama. He graduated high school at 16 and entered the Marines at 17 (his mom had to take him down there to sign the permission forms since he wasn't 18) and went on to a career with GE. For awhile, he worked in one of the divisions that supported the Apollo Program - last year, I found one of his zippo lighters he got as part of that team - it has the Apollo rocket logo, GE logos, etc...I was even able to google it and find it on a zippo collector site.

He was pretty much the definition of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. Much of my view is an idealized version of what I'd imagine he would do or how he would act and I try to live up to that.

Repairing a lifetime of bad habits...

My dad - Really cool and collected. If he gets angry, you have screwed up big time and you know it.

I don't know who else. I don't really do the whole 'role models' thing. I think of what I want to be (what, not who) and try to become just that. I don't really associate that with certain people.

What I mean by role models is not trying to be just like someone else. It is more like finding an attribute or characteristic or skill that someone has that you do not have. My dad, like yours, is really good at keeping his cool in stressful situations. Maximus did the right thing regardless of the opposition, and knew when to fight and when to walk away.

I am not trying to be them, I merely am looking up to their characteristic or skill that I admire and desire for my own life.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

My Manly Role Models:

My Father: He taught me everything I need to know about family.

Ron Paul: He taught me everything I need to know about speaking my mind, no matter what, and about honesty.

Joseph Smith: He taught me how to stand up for what I believe in, no matter what.

And almost every hero in the Book of Mormon. Yeah, kinda cheesy, but these guys teach you how to be men.

And yes, in case you haven't noticed from this post, I am mormon :)

My Manly Role Models:

Ron Paul: He taught me everything I need to know about speaking my mind, no matter what, and about honesty.

Joseph Smith: He taught me how to stand up for what I believe in, no matter what.

And almost every hero in the Book of Mormon. Yeah, kinda cheesy, but these guys teach you how to be men.

Just so we're clear - are you a mormon?

Valar Morghulis
My Manly Role Models:

So, you put Ron Paul, but not Mitt Romney?

Interesting..............

What? 16 pages and I just now find this thread? Damn! I spent the last hour reading it from the start and I wish I could have jumped in earlier.

Damn.

But to keep up the current thread of conversation, my Paragons of Manliness:

Theodore Roosevelt. Tying this back to an earlier topic of discussion, I've been an avid reader of the Art of Manliness for about four years now, and I picked up on the awesomeness that is Teddy from them. How could anyone not admire the man? Started off as a sickly kid, but built his body up to become a complete powerhouse. Left the comfort of the New England/New York upper class to be a cattle rancher in the Dakotas. Cleaned up the NYPD. Volunteered to fight in the Spanish/American war. Became president. Negotiated the peace deal for the Russo-Japanese War. Founded a new political party. Traveled the world, and was one of the first non-Brazilian/native to explore the deep Amazon. Plus, the man got shot, no sold the bullet and went on to give his previously scheduled speech. No one in the audience knew he'd been shot. M.A.N. MAN.

Captain Kirk. Infinitely confident in himself and his skills. He was the leader, and a great leader at that. He was an Alpha Male but didn't have a lot of the dickish qualities that usually company that label.

John "Hannibal" Smith. Yes, where I took my screen name from. Like the other two, he was an amazing leader and supremely confident in himself. Noticing a theme? Since I'm so lacking in confidence, I find myself drawn to those men and fictional characters who have this important quality I'm striving to cultivate. Furthermore, he could think outside the box, and could find a solution to any problem, and he'd do it with a smile and a sense of humor.

Henry Rollins. He's a hero of mine because he's someone I've always been able to identify with, and wanted to be more like. I first started listening to his music in high school, and I connected with his lyrics. It was the first time I listened to music and thought, "my god, it's like he wrote that about me. That's exactly how I feel!" It seems like nothing in the world can even begin to fuck with him except him. Also, that he seems to have overcome a lot of the self-doubt he had when younger. He's got the confidence of the others, plus the self-improvement theme that Roosevelt has.

Bruce Lee. Here's another fountain of confidence, and a guy who's life seems to have been one long exercise in self-refinement. So inspirational. Not to mention he made Chuck Norris his bitch. Not just in the movies, either. They trained together for a while, and Bruce owned him.

Just so we're clear - are you a mormon?

Nope. Catholic. :D

So, you put Ron Paul, but not Mitt Romney?

Interesting..............

Haha yup. I don't believe that Mitt Romney truly support freedom, and is not the small government candidate that he claims to be. Though if Ron Paul were mormon that would make him like a bajillion times cooler :D

I had a poor relationship with my father, who died relatively young. I've come to realize that most of my role models are really the archetypes from Louis L'Amour western novels. Strong, silent, self reliant, polite and deadly. That and one of the hired hands on my family farm. Homer grew up one of 11 kids in southern Ohio in the 40's. Plowed with a mule, served in the Army, worked hard, raised 6 kids and put them through college on a laborer's wage (I have no idea how), could fix or make anything that wasn't a machine. A true magician with a double bit axe.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

Theodore Roosevelt. Tying this back to an earlier topic of discussion, I've been an avid reader of the Art of Manliness for about four years now, and I picked up on the awesomeness that is Teddy from them. How could anyone not admire the man? Started off as a sickly kid, but built his body up to become a complete powerhouse. Left the comfort of the New England/New York upper class to be a cattle rancher in the Dakotas. Cleaned up the NYPD. Volunteered to fight in the Spanish/American war. Became president. Negotiated the peace deal for the Russo-Japanese War. Founded a new political party. Traveled the world, and was one of the first non-Brazilian/native to explore the deep Amazon. Plus, the man got shot, no sold the bullet and went on to give his previously scheduled speech. No one in the audience knew he'd been shot. M.A.N. MAN.

I learned a lot about Teddy Roosevelt through AoM as well. Pretty kick-ace dude.

Teddy Roosevelt is one of mine, too, also because of AoM! My other masculine role models are Goku (incredibly strong yet gentle and humble (for the most part!), makes physical and mental training a priority, constantly overcoming his limits), Tyler Durden (mostly for his anti-consumerism/anti-conformity standpoint, not for his anarchist views), and my father (he certainly has his flaws, as does everyone, but he has devoted his life to providing for our family, including my differently-abled sister).

Valar Morghulis

My role models are Jean-Luc Picard, my father, and Perrin Aybara.

Though a master of tactics, Picard chose to resolve situations peacefully as much as possible. I admire that and his dedication to personal fitness (he was the first freshman to win the Starfleet Academy marathon!)

Perrin Aybara is just a man trying to do what is right. I really admire that, and his own brand of wisdom. Not the deep philosophy of Picard, but the wisdom of the wolf and the blacksmith. Do not waste. Only do what makes sense. Uphold family, uphold friends.

And finally, my father, who after a poor relationship with his own father vowed to not let that interfere with his relationship with his sons. I've watched a number of my friends repeat the exact same mistakes of their parents, after my friends said they would never do that, so I know how much deliberate action that requires. Plus, I once found his 7th grade report card and he failed math. Now he is a Six Sigma black belt and holds a Masters degree in Finance from University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Guest Snake McClain

I'm not sure I have role models. i just sort of look at incidents that inspire me or traits. So i will list those traits.

1) Courage. Looking at a thing, either big or small and being afraid of it, knowing it will probaly hurt me to approach or attack or do and doing it anyway because it is right.

2) Wisdom. Being able to discern the proper thing to do or say in any situation. Also realizing that I will not be able to always know the proper thing and making the best decision with what I have. Being willing to learn at all stages in life.

3) Confidence. Self explanatory.

4) Responsibility. Doing my best at the things that are important in life and not giving up because it is easy. Being there to help my family and friends when they are in need. Just doing what is right.

5) Perserverance. Sort of in line with number 4. Never give up. Never surrender. #GalaxyQuestBitches

6) Respect. Treating everyone from all walks of life the way they deserve to be treated. Not because it is nice but because we are all human beings walking a hard road and deserve a little courtesy even when we act like jerks. So if I like someone or not I try my best to be as gentle as possible with them.

7) Being Charitable. Like I said sometimes life is a hard road and people need a hand. Sometimes those people are stubborn and won't ask for help. Sometimes they do. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and help them. Back about a week before thanksgiving i missed an opprotunity to give a homeless man some food and I've been torturing myself for it ever since and I won't be making that mistake again.

8) Learning. From my mistakes. I have a joke with my friends that my only regrets have names, but that isn't exactly true. My biggest regret is those hard lessons learned in life caused by my mistakes...and then I keep making them. As a man I have to focus on examining what went wrong and being mindful of myself to not make those mistakes again.

9) Asking for help. I would be an idiot to think I can do it all alone, but I do try my damndest and it usually burns me. Knowing who to go to just to talk or who to go to if i need help swapping an engine and don't know what I'm doing. Always good to have a team.

10) I am not clever enough to think of a last thing here.

I know i haven't been on much this past week and i probably still won't be but i came just to see what was up and thought this was all interesting content.

George Bailey of "It's A Wonderful Life". Lives according to his beliefs and values, marries a hottie, gets in the face of the powerful, takes a punch without flying into a senseless rage and takes care of his family and his business.

Atticus Finch of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Stands up to the crowd with determination and guts. A learned and thoughtful man. Soft spoken but can't be ignored. Archetypal father figure.

My father-in-law. Retired dairy farmer. Smart, strong, honest. Pays with cash. Humble and soft spoken. Great sense of humor. A really, really great man.

George Bailey of "It's A Wonderful Life". Lives according to his beliefs and values, marries a hottie, gets in the face of the powerful, takes a punch without flying into a senseless rage and takes care of his family and his business.

Of course, that depends on whether you believe in "The Lost Ending" to "It's A Wonderful Life" :-)

http://www.hulu.com/watch/115719/saturday-night-live-wonderful-life

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

well im new to the site but i guess ill jump right in

my biggest hero is my dad he is slow to anger type hes worked crappy jobs for as long as i can remember just to give me and my brother a good life

next is batman beacuse batman doesnt have superpowers he just has to do it all with awesome gadgets and really good fighting moves

and finally im gonna go with sam from lotr he never gave up even when he knew it probly wasnt gonna end well

9) Asking for help. I would be an idiot to think I can do it all alone, but I do try my damndest and it usually burns me. Knowing who to go to just to talk or who to go to if i need help swapping an engine and don't know what I'm doing. Always good to have a team.

I've learned the opposite is true for me. I tend to get burned when I don't do things myself, a la the old phrase, "if you want something done right, you'd better do it yourself." Sure, I still ask questions to learn new things, and that's fine for learning, but as for actually doing something, I'd rather go it alone, figure things out myself and learn from any mistakes I make.

I am definitely not a "team player."

Other than that one, I pretty much agree with everything you said in that post. Good standards to live by.

Guest Snake McClain
I've learned the opposite is true for me. I tend to get burned when I don't do things myself, a la the old phrase, "if you want something done right, you'd better do it yourself." Sure, I still ask questions to learn new things, and that's fine for learning, but as for actually doing something, I'd rather go it alone, figure things out myself and learn from any mistakes I make.

I am definitely not a "team player."

Other than that one, I pretty much agree with everything you said in that post. Good standards to live by.

i will say life is interesting, how two people can literally have a completely different outlook. I guess I say that i have a very small resource pool that I ask for help from when needed. They call me Abraham Thunder-Wulf and they are my wolf pack (but that last sentence is completely untrue).