Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Guest Snake McClain
Our kids have used them. Unfortunately, the dating site thought they were a good match for each other (brother and sister). Sort of put an end to that...

fantastic!

Did you accidentally get them signed up on one based in Alabama?

even more fantastic.

I tried that yeeeeeeeeeeears ago, during the brief window I was single in 2000, and it kept hooking me up with people who were annoyed I "lived next to fucking Pakis". There needs to be a "no racist bitches" box on those things.

Also, apologies for the language, but hey, they did say it.

Unbelievable.

not shopped... i added the black frame to emphasize the flawless, delicate facial bone structure...

it's beautiful.

Im going to try and say anything to get our minds off that...that...

...okay so has anyone here tried internet dating sites? If so have you noticed how when anyone says "average" body type they're really fat and if they say "athletic" they never are...at all. I'm not sure people know what athletic means...and now it has me wondering if I do.

Thoughts?

Haven't yet, but more and more tempted to. Might have to just cave one of these days.

Level 6 Wizard of Beer Warrior
STR 21.25 | DEX 5.75 | STA 7.75 | CON 3.50 | WIS 9.50 | CHA 3.25
Twitter | Epic Trip | Current Challenge
Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5
*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

Guest Snake McClain

I was sort of hoping to kick off a conversation about what "athletic" is. or possibly what it isn't. we all know the girls on the "hard body hotties" thread are athletic. that's obviousy. but is there an exact formula to determine what athletic is? I know guys that can do 100 pushups but can't do shit else. (is it okay to curse on these forums? i can't ever seem to figure it out). But then there are people that can run 10 miles but can't do 40 pushups. so i'm just curious if we have a standard or an idea of what "athletic" means in appearance or capability. Regarding both men and women. not sure if one includes or excludes the other.

I was sort of hoping to kick off a conversation about what "athletic" is. or possibly what it isn't. we all know the girls on the "hard body hotties" thread are athletic. that's obviousy. but is there an exact formula to determine what athletic is? I know guys that can do 100 pushups but can't do shit else. (is it okay to curse on these forums? i can't ever seem to figure it out). But then there are people that can run 10 miles but can't do 40 pushups. so i'm just curious if we have a standard or an idea of what "athletic" means in appearance or capability. Regarding both men and women. not sure if one includes or excludes the other.

There's always Steve's "Spartan Warrior" qualifications. They're pretty intense though and I'd say someone would reach "athletic" before they could do all this.

50 push ups in a row

10 pull ups in a row

Bench press his body weight 10 times

Press 75% of his body weight overhead 5 times

Deadlift 1.5 times his body weight 5 times

Squat his body weight 10 times

Run a 5k in under 24 minutes.

Hike for many hours with a 30-pound backpack

Touch his toes

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Self-Perception is a funny thing, it can lead to great things (i.e. - "I never knew I wasn't supposed to be able to do that?"), great tragedy (i.e. - "Sure as shit I can do that, hold ma beer an' watch this") and everything in between.

On the internet dating topic: A friend of mine that did the internet dating thing used to say that as you do it more and more it you start to see trends in people's profiles; key words/sayings/behaviours that trigger alarm bells. Little hints as to hidden personality traits - e.g. - messy, anal, bossy, lazy, cats....he hates cats...etc.

If you DO pursue it and your goal is to find "The One" his biggest recommendation was to be ruthless. If you don't hit it off with your date at the first meeting, it's probably not going to get any better so it's better just to be honest and move on. Otherwise you are just wasting your time & theirs. Treat it like business "does this fit my needs?" yes/no? Act accordingly. He seems pretty happy with his choice.

Scout: STR: 20.5 | DEX: 13 | STA: 28 | CON: 13.5 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 4

http://51feetunder.wordpress.com/ - Running, Rock & Roll, Rock Climbing and Photography

Fitocracy Profile

Twitter

Latest Challenge

To me, there are 2 thoughts about what "athletic" is. There is the physical appearance of athletic (which is what the dating sites are looking for), and then there is the definitions of athletic that involves being capable of handling yourself on some form of fitness level (sports, running, etc).

Up until now, I wouldn't have considered myself as looking "athletic". On a dating site, I would have classified myself as above average or "with a little extra". At 6'3" 250-260lbs....it would be kinda hard to hide my size. I am now getting in line with the more athletic look now that I have lost some weight (guessing around 220-230lbs now, but may be less), but still don't have the six pack, still have a decent amount to lose in the stomach, and still got my love handles. I do have the broad shoulders and above average chest size, and I am starting to see the "V shape" show up, so I'm clearly on my way.

As for the other, even at my largest, I surprised people that would never have thought I was athletic. I played sports growing up, so get me on a basketball or volleyball court, and I can show most people that I can hold my own. For a big guy, I am much faster than most people would think, I have plenty of coordination, and can even hold my own on a dance floor (coordination, movement, endurance...yes, dancing qualifies :-).

So, am I athletic.....yes on the ability side, not quite on the physical appearance side.

*the warrior formerly known as icedtrip and former dothraki god of thunder furyan*

50 push ups in a row

10 pull ups in a row

Touch his toes

:)

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

Ditto on ability vs appearance, although my abilities are less endurance-based and more combat-based. I still have my old reflexes and some of my old flexibility, even if I wouldn't make it to the third round of a bout.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Considering the wide wide range of athletic body types that exist, stating that your body type IS athletic... doesn't actually say much about you. A marathoner is 'athletic'... so is the 350 lb offensive lineman in football...

As far as dating sights are concerned, any girl looking at a profile saying 'athletic' is probably expecting a six pack and Big Biceps . Anyone who puts any serious consideration into someone's stated 'body type' is probably two crayons short of a box. Not to be judging, but come on... Talk, see a picture/meet, yes/no move on...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

There's always Steve's "Spartan Warrior" qualifications. They're pretty intense though and I'd say someone would reach "athletic" before they could do all this.

50 push ups in a row

10 pull ups in a row

Touch his toes

My aim is to go far beyond that. I've already got the endurance stuff down.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Anyone else wonder why Steve's numbers are so much heavier on bench than squat? Almost all well-rounded "warriors" should be able to squat more than they bench, no?

I also tried internet dating briefly. What a nightmare. One of the few dates I went on, the woman who claimed to be 27 was 37 and had a kid. Guess I should have hired a "profile optimizer" lol. So glad I am married now. Met my wife through a co-ed sports league (ultimate). Much better place to start IMO.

Anyone else wonder why Steve's numbers are so much heavier on bench than squat? Almost all well-rounded "warriors" should be able to squat more than they bench, no?

I also tried internet dating briefly. What a nightmare. One of the few dates I went on, the woman who claimed to be 27 was 37 and had a kid. Guess I should have hired a "profile optimizer" lol. So glad I am married now. Met my wife through a co-ed sports league (ultimate). Much better place to start IMO.

Love through Ultimate, fantastic!

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Guest Snake McClain

I agree completely. much better place to start indeed.

I honestly don't take the online dating seriously at all. I know what it is and most of it is out of boredom in my free time (very little). I have work, gym and wrestling. i am doing either the gym or wrestling 5 out of 7 days of the week. sometimes 6. not like i have the time to go out all the time anyway. it is just an observation i've made. "athletic" girls who are really just skinny that run on a treadmill. not strong or capable fo any impressive work. not that i am. but..yeah.

Because Steve's in the same boat as most of us younger guys; spent way too much time not knowing what to do. I have the same problem; my bench is way higher than either my squat or deadlift predict. A few years of a lotta benching and not much squatting will do that to you. Like most of us, it took Steve time to get around to figuring it out.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

50 push ups in a row

10 pull ups in a row

Touch his toes

Well, I can only put a check mark next to one of these, with full confidence, at the moment (DL 1.5x BW), and just a maybe next to a few that I have never tested.

I met my wife in an IRC chatroom, but she knew who I was due to some real-life friends, so when she saw me one night at a coffee shop she invited me over to play Trivial Pursuit with them, and it was several minutes before she mentioned "By the way, I'm [internet name]." Good times.

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

Guest Snake McClain

i can easily squat my body weight 10 times.

deadlift 1.5x bw 5x i can do but it is my working set right now. with a lot of effort.

bench my body weight 10x no way. i'm not sure i can do it twice. back on dec 26th for the midwinter muscle madness i did my body weight once as my 1rep max and it about killed me. granted i'm a lot stronger now. i may give this a shot.

75% of body weight on an OHP? No way. not even close. I'm down about 22.5lbs for that one.

run a 5k in 24minutes? i'm not sure I could do it at all. how many miles is that? i have no idea. what like 3 miles or soemthing? uhm...yeah i can bike that in like 8 minutes. running would probably kill me at this point. haven't one that in about 6 years back in the Air Force.

50 push ups...eh like 35.

10 pullups i've got down.

hiking for hours with 30 pounds wouldn't be a problem. but i guess this depends on someones idea of hiking.

still can't tough my toes. i keep working on my flexibility but it's pretty bad. i'm not sure i'm doing it right. or often enough? i dunno. how do i know?