Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

sdfakf;asdkfljasdpfgoi

I do NOT want to hear that joke. EVER. It's been repeated way too much and it's just not funny anymore. >.<

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

I got a better joke for you...

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

Ok, sorry. Better one (hopefully). How many nerds does it take to change a lightbulb? 11. One to change the bulb, one to write the program that turns it on and off, and one to create the wiki for the process.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

I got a better joke for you...

Ok, sorry. Better one (hopefully). How many nerds does it take to change a lightbulb? 11. One to change the bulb, one to write the program that turns it on and off, and one to create the wiki for the process.

Winner winner chicken dinner! :)

(Raises hand)

Um... I need a third category. I'm not ogling the women...

Therefore you do not get caught ogling the women. ;)

Very nicely done.

I will offer another solution.

There are two types of men in the world; those who get caught ogling, and those who do not.

Level 1 Woodwose

Statistically speaking, one-fifth of the entire world is Chinese.

That means that one in five people are Chinese.

There are five people in my household... that means one of them is Chinese.

It could either be me, my dad Jeff, my mom Susan, my older brother Steve, or my little brother Ho-Chan Cho....

...... I am pretty sure it is Steve.....

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

It could either be me, my dad Jeff, my mom Susan, my older brother Steve, or my little brother Ho-Chan Cho....

You can't argue with that logic.

The Tin Man: Cyborg Ranger

Tin Man's Out of Date Epic Quest

I am what I do.

Makes sense to me.

Level 1 Woodwose

Nice logic you got there, bro.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

So guys, we haven't had a really manly topic in a little while (not counting figuring out the Chinese spy), and I kinda miss it. I, of course, don't have any ideas of what to talk about, so I'm throwing this out there. Anything new with any of the nerdy-fit males?

Level 1 Woodwose

I just got a job working with the Salvation Army. Its a paid one year internship to work at a Salvation Army Temple in St. Louis.

We could talk about altruism or ethics or something like that. I think those are manly.

"All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty." -Proverbs 14:23

----------------------------------------------------------

I. AM. A. BEAST!!!!!!!!!" -

Way to go on the job! What do they have you doing there?

And I must agree, altruism and ethics in general are manly topics that, I believe, most anyone should be able to hold their own in a conversation about.

Level 1 Woodwose

We could talk about altruism or ethics or something like that. I think those are manly.

I think that when you get right down to it, there is really no such thing as altruism. If you take the meaning as simply kindness or helping others, sure it exists. But if you want to define it as "selfless concern for the welfare of others," I argue that deep down all altruistic acts are inherently selfish. People do it because they feel a sense of obligation for kindness shown them in the past, hope of a reward in the future (re-payment, or for the religious, a better seat in heaven), or perhaps just the emotional reward we get when we help someone. All of these ideas/feelings exist because it's hardwired into our brains through evolution. It was an advantage to survival when our ancestors helped each other out, as the community/group grew stronger over time when individuals helped the other members. We help others to trigger some switch in our brains that makes us feel better, just like some people get a positive feeling when the eat junk food, beat a video game, sink a shot in basketball, or whatever. It's all brain chemicals and we like those chemicals. You notice that some people are really heavily involved in charity; I think they do it because they're in a way addicted to those chemicals. Take away those chemicals, and I bet the person no longer has any impulse to help others.

Just a thought. What do you guys think?

I think that when you get right down to it, there is really no such thing as altruism. If you take the meaning as simply kindness or helping others, sure it exists. But if you want to define it as "selfless concern for the welfare of others," I argue that deep down all altruistic acts are inherently selfish. People do it because they feel a sense of obligation for kindness shown them in the past, hope of a reward in the future (re-payment, or for the religious, a better seat in heaven), or perhaps just the emotional reward we get when we help someone.

I recall an episode of Friends in which Phoebe was arguing against that very concept. She was determined to demonstrate a completely selfless act - and failed repeatedly. "Letting a bee sting me" was an early attempt - she wanted it to look big in front of its bee friends, but didn't realise that bees die after using their stings. The final part of the episode she had it cracked - she made a donation to a charity run by a TV station that brought up bad childhood memories. A good deed, with no good feelings. Perfect! Except Joey was working on their donations switchboard, and her donation got him to appear on television, and this made her happy. Damn!

I'm inclined to agree with you, Hannibal - I don't believe in true altruism, and would consider it a form of mental illness if it did exist. There's always a payoff for any good deed, even if the payoff is irrational or intangible.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/