Forums are back in action! ×

Men ONLY please...

Guest Snake McClain

Snake, in response to your Question of recent Manliness, I'm mostly in charge of my 8 and 7 year old nieces, they're visiting for the summer and Since I'm pretty much their play toy and body guard, But despite that I'm their uncle, I always see myself and treat them as my own kids, so in the absence of their father, I see myself as a father... Don't know if that qualifies as Manliness in anyone else's eyes but my own.

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I have brown work boots, black dress shoes, running sneakers, everyday sneakers, and sandals for the beach. Surely that covers the entire spectrum of shoe needs.

I am a gay man that hates shopping for shoes. I have about five pairs, largely because I never throw them out.

What happens when you play Final Fantasy VII with everyone called Cloud?

It gets quite confusing... https://ff7crowdofclouds.wordpress.com/

What may I ask is different between a gay party and a "normal" party? Do they party differently than straight or bi people?

I could understand if it was a party where only gays were invited, but the "straight-friendly gay party" part is where I'm confused.

Well, 1 in 5 people is not-straight, to put it bluntly. The ratio is quite different.

Quare? Quod vita mea non tua est.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Sixteen or just plain 161803398874989.

Manliness: Realized that life was too short to be mad at someone, so swallowed me pride and apologized to some people that I have been less than awesome too lately. Apologizing sucks, I don't like it.

(jk Apologizing makes me feel a ton better once I actually do it. Getting to it is the hard part though).

Manliness: Realized that life was too short to be mad at someone, so swallowed me pride and apologized to some people that I have been less than awesome too lately. Apologizing sucks, I don't like it.

(jk Apologizing makes me feel a ton better once I actually do it. Getting to it is the hard part though).

I agree with you there. It's always better to apologize but it sucks trying to get to that point.

My Manliness Mission: find out how I compare to a WW2 GI.

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/09/12/are-you-as-fit-as-a-world-war-ii-gi/

I don't know the proper way to post links. Otherwise I'd like to think this would look a little classier (and possibly manlier....?)

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

Battle Log - MyFitnessPal - FitBIt

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

I agree with you there. It's always better to apologize but it sucks trying to get to that point.

I don't know the proper way to post links. Otherwise I'd like to think this would look a little classier (and possibly manlier....?)

Haha. I have that article bookmarked, saved as a PDF and on my phone. I'm considering working on it pretty soon. I'm undecided between that, this (PDF link) or this (PDF link). Though I have no interest in doing CrossFit, I just want to see where I sit and how well I can improve on the skill levels of the things I have the equipment to do.

For a classier style of linking, type out what you want it to be, such as "WW2 Phys. Fit. Test" highlight it and click the hyperlink button. Paste in the link to the site and there you go.

Level 1 Woodwose

STR 5 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 5 | CHA 4

WAR 0 | RNG 0 | SCT 0 | ASN 0 | MON 0 | DRU 0 | ADV 1

Current Challenge: Specialization is for Insects

Previous Chapters: 1

Guest Snake McClain
The single mothers I tended to get were mostly wreaks. Except for my ex. She seemed to have her ducks in a row, at least for the most part. But at the end of the day, it was time to move on because I just wasn't in love and, as much as she denied it, she was looking to complete a family unit. Frankly, I'm just not there yet.

Now honestly my love life has gone straight to hell since then, but hey, at least she has a shot at finding the right guy now that she's not pinning her hopes on me, and I DIDN'T hurt a kid in any way, shape or form. (I'm proud of that last one) there's no reason to drag kids into grown up things, they get attached and then hurt REALLY easily)

IF you weren't ready for that walking away is the best thing you could do. If you aren't in love with someone or don't care for them that intensely there is no reason to be there dragging people's feelings along.

Snake, in response to your Question of recent Manliness, I'm mostly in charge of my 8 and 7 year old nieces, they're visiting for the summer and Since I'm pretty much their play toy and body guard, But despite that I'm their uncle, I always see myself and treat them as my own kids, so in the absence of their father, I see myself as a father... Don't know if that qualifies as Manliness in anyone else's eyes but my own.

I say this is QUITE manly. The gal I'm dating...her son doesn't have a father figure at all. And since I spend practically every day with these two I can see that I am quickly becoming that for them and she is telling me how much she enjoys seeing him spend time with someone in that manner. She's dated guys in the past...some of them for the better part of a year that gave no attention or regard to him. She has even said (her exact words here), "I can tell you are a real man by the way you handle and treat my son." I say it is manly. A woman has said it is manly. Therefore it is. Your nieces probably appreciate that time and attention more than you could ever know. Probably more than they even realize. Every wolf pack needs a leader.

I saw this article. I didn't get a chance to really read over it. I want to go do that now. And test my mettle against gi's. Love this stuff.

Manliness achievement: Took a 2 1/2 year old swimming and taught him to kick his legs while floating on a float noodle (or whatever they are called)...i may have helped keep him above water, sure but he had a good time. Also Deadlifts. Also helping take care of my lady friend when she is sick.

IF you weren't ready for that walking away is the best thing you could do. If you aren't in love with someone or don't care for them that intensely there is no reason to be there dragging people's feelings along.

I say this is QUITE manly. The gal I'm dating...her son doesn't have a father figure at all. And since I spend practically every day with these two I can see that I am quickly becoming that for them and she is telling me how much she enjoys seeing him spend time with someone in that manner. She's dated guys in the past...some of them for the better part of a year that gave no attention or regard to him. She has even said (her exact words here), "I can tell you are a real man by the way you handle and treat my son." I say it is manly. A woman has said it is manly. Therefore it is. Your nieces probably appreciate that time and attention more than you could ever know. Probably more than they even realize. Every wolf pack needs a leader.

I saw this article. I didn't get a chance to really read over it. I want to go do that now. And test my mettle against gi's. Love this stuff.

Manliness achievement: Took a 2 1/2 year old swimming and taught him to kick his legs while floating on a float noodle (or whatever they are called)...i may have helped keep him above water, sure but he had a good time. Also Deadlifts. Also helping take care of my lady friend when she is sick.

Excellent on all counts sir! Congratulations :)

"Oh, fear not in a world like this, And thou shalt know erelong, Know how sublime a thing it is, To suffer and be strong."  - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow -

To get something you've never had, you have to become someone you've never been.

so here's a video blog i've been watching on men's rights

she takes a look at the evolutionary-psychology behind gender roles and the nature of feminism. it's very MRA, but considering this is the mens only forum i figure it's worth dropping the link. i don't agree with everything she says, but it's interesting to hear some of the theories and worthy of discussion i think.

if there are women reading this thread, please also watch the video and let me know what you think.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1

she takes a look at the evolutionary-psychology behind gender roles and the nature of feminism. it's very MRA, but considering this is the mens only forum i figure it's worth dropping the link. i don't agree with everything she says, but it's interesting to hear some of the theories and worthy of discussion i think.

if there are women reading this thread, please also watch the video and let me know what you think.

I only have 4 things to say about the video.

1. There are male rights advocates? I've never actually heard of that before.

2. I like that a woman is the one doing the video, only because if it was a guy saying that, everybody would call him sexist.

3. She does make some good points, but at times it is hard to tell if she is masculinist or anti-feminist

4. I would have comments about a lot of the things she has said (both pro and negative), but after thinking through my arguments, I found that my thought pattern is exactly the opposite of my nature and therefore would be contradicting myself.

Side note number 5, my computer's spell check has feminist, but not masulinist. (Words linked to definitions to show they are both real words)

Level 1 Woodwose

Guest Snake McClain

I only have 4 things to say about the video.

1. There are male rights advocates? I've never actually heard of that before.

2. I like that a woman is the one doing the video, only because if it was a guy saying that, everybody would call him sexist.

3. She does make some good points, but at times it is hard to tell if she is masculinist or anti-feminist

4. I would have comments about a lot of the things she has said (both pro and negative), but after thinking through my arguments, I found that my thought pattern is exactly the opposite of my nature and therefore would be contradicting myself.

Side note number 5, my computer's spell check has feminist, but not masulinist. (Words linked to definitions to show they are both real words)

i was having a bit of a hard time completely following her points because she tends to jump around a bit...however this is what I thought.

1) "Our society reduces men from human beings to human doings." This right here...I've had this thought many times. Women are simply accepted as women just by existing and yet we as men have to prove ourselves CONSTANTLY. worse than that we can lose our "value" or "worth" as men or human beings by making a mistake. Again this is something I have considered.

2) That women's life is more valuable than women's every time. This idea bothers me because it is sort of a price tag. Doesn't matter who you are or what you've done or what you can offer "x" person is more important than "y" person. Now is it true that I would die for others? Yes. Because it is my natural reaction to physical danger to get involved and help/protect. it is just who I am. But putting it in a light of a "price tag" bothers me immensely.

3) It is mentioned in this video that men are to stand outside their cabins with rifle in hand while the women and children stay inside and remain safe. Men are prepared to go die (basically what she said) while women are taught (it's okay he's disposable). I have a HUGE problem with this point. Here is why. Let's say my lady and I and her son are walking down the street (this happens often) and someone comes up to mug us. She is a 125lb woman, and her son is 30lbs. I on the other hand am 195lbs and scary (when I'm mad). So logically who is going to stop a mugger/murderer in this situation? She should run in and get mauled by a maniac simply because she should see herself as "equal" in that regard? No. See I can punch a lot harder than her. So it makes sense that I go and punch this person in the face (multiple times) while she takes the boy in the other direction. Also she and I have had these types of discussions...sort of. Do we really really REALLY think that if i'm in a log cabin and we are protecting our family and something happens and we go to get our rifle and stand on the porch or whatever that they are not going to care if we die? Well I know my woman would care immensely. And I know that I would happily lay my life down for her. Not because I think I should, but because I simply could not stand to see her get hurt etc. It is naturally in me. it's the way I am. I think most men are this way. It isn't some terrible sociological situation. It is just the way we are. I feel like the lady in this video has twisted a "phenomenon" to make a point she wanted to make.

I will say in a lot of ways I agree with her. but in a lot of ways she is bothering me and has frustrated me that she feels that all women are like this. sure some women suck really bad and are total bitches that don't care about men. but on the other hand there are women who truly love their man and celebrate their manliness.

however I agree with her final points that men are no longer celebrated for what they do they are just expected to take it and then we get called ass holes for it. I agree with this. Society has a fucked view of what we should be.

No wonder the nice guys died off.

Guest Snake McClain

I could honestly keep going about this subject. It bothers me that as a whole men have been emasculated. but then maybe we BELIEVE that we have been when in reality we haven't. Once I started taking steps to being more manly (thank you art of manliness) I no longer felt emasculated. I feel as if I am manly and that others see me as such. I am seeing it everywhere I go. So maybe, just MAYBE it is our jobs (COME ON MANLY NERDS!) to teach ourselves, our friends and our sons to be manly and believe that we are and thus we will be seen as such. We believe we are so we become it. I truly believe this works. It has for me.

so maybe we shouldn't worry about some stupid feminist or anti-feminist or this or that or blah blah blah and instead worry about being men, manning up, and anyone who likes it, well thank you, and anyone who doesn't and thinks we are stupid...well they can just go fuck off as we make ourselves better.

In a way she is right. Men kind of are "disposable" though I wouldn't use that word, and evolutionary speaking she is correct as to why this happened. I mean, it is kind of expected that if there is only enough food for one person to eat, that the man give it up for the girl, or if there is some burden that needs to be borne (that the right word?) that the man bears it, so that the woman does not have to. But she makes this out as if it is a bad thing. I honestly have no problem with this, in fact I welcome it. I consider sacrifice for another to be the ultimate form of love, and that the love of others is a characteristic that defines being a man.

Guest Snake McClain
In a way she is right. Men kind of are "disposable" though I wouldn't use that word, and evolutionary speaking she is correct as to why this happened. I mean, it is kind of expected that if there is only enough food for one person to eat, that the man give it up for the girl, or if there is some burden that needs to be borne (that the right word?) that the man bears it, so that the woman does not have to. But she makes this out as if it is a bad thing. I honestly have no problem with this, in fact I welcome it. I consider sacrifice for another to be the ultimate form of love, and that the love of others is a characteristic that defines being a man.

EXACTLY!!!

Sacrifice is the ultimate form of love. She totally takes the emotional variable out of the equation. My woman is inside with the child while i'm outside fighting a gang of bandits. she isn't thinking "it's okay he's disposable" she's thinking "Ohmygodholyshitpleasebeokayi'msoscared". she doesn't want me dead because she loves me. that's the reality. not this dumb "numbers" game the lady in the video made it out to be. Note btw my gal pal IS a feminist. but a feminist in the sense that she believes men and women should have equal opportunities. she sees the imbalance of affirmative action and dislikes it. but she also loves classic gender roles. the man does these things, the woman does these things. i am manly and she is feminine and she loves that. so...not all feminists are raging "rape culture" maniacs.

In relation to 'nice guys' I find it incredibly ironic that a segment of society raised solely by their (single) mothers to have the qualities that they (think) they want in a man, consistently does do poorly with women.

I know for me personally, I was raised to be the way I am by a single mother who HATED men (because 'they are assholes') as so she raised me to be caring and thoughtful and 'nice' and blah, blah, blah. Now don't get me wrong, my ex thought I was the most amazing perfect guy shed ever met. Unfortunately my long and illustrious list of relationships with women (who didn't immediately lock me in the friend-zone) included her. And no one else. Like, at all.

Luckily I'm learning to be more manly, I hope, because of The Art of Manliness. And I commend all of the men on here who are taking an active interest in teaching their son's to be men.

Congratulations gentlemen.

Guest Snake McClain
In relation to 'nice guys' I find it incredibly ironic that a segment of society raised solely by their (single) mothers to have the qualities that they (think) they want in a man, consistently does do poorly with women.

I know for me personally, I was raised to be the way I am by a single mother who HATED men (because 'they are assholes') as so she raised me to be caring and thoughtful and 'nice' and blah, blah, blah. Now don't get me wrong, my ex thought I was the most amazing perfect guy shed ever met. Unfortunately my long and illustrious list of relationships with women (who didn't immediately lock me in the friend-zone) included her. And no one else. Like, at all.

Luckily I'm learning to be more manly, I hope, because of The Art of Manliness. And I commend all of the men on here who are taking an active interest in teaching their son's to be men.

Congratulations gentlemen.

Agreed completely!

I was raised solo by my mom (which i think is why i understand my lady friend and her son so well...because i was that little boy at a time) and i see what was missing. I needed that manly figure in my life to teach me to be a man. about a year ago i went on my search for manly traits (what makes a man mr. lebowski) and fitness and found nf and the art of manliness! my entire being has changed. People have commented that I am manly and that i am different. my lady friend has called me manly. so obviously it is working. hopefully even if i am not in their lives long I can show her son some example of being a man. but he is only 2. lol

Really though Church I think that if you focus at it and find the traits you want and think on them you will be them.

That's my idea so far, Snake. I've been using 'The Castle' Mini-Challenge from the Assassins Guild to meditate on manliness and what kind of man I want to be. And subsequent challenges, through NF and in life, will be directed towards squiring the skills and traits that I come up with.

And Mr. Independent, I'd look forward to seeing your opinions :) This is a topic worth discussion.

Guest Snake McClain
As someone who's studied gender and masculinity for three years now, I'm having a really hard time keeping my mouth shut here. It would take me hours to write everything that needs to be said, though.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

That's my idea so far, Snake. I've been using 'The Castle' Mini-Challenge from the Assassins Guild to meditate on manliness and what kind of man I want to be. And subsequent challenges, through NF and in life, will be directed towards squiring the skills and traits that I come up with.

And Mr. Independent, I'd look forward to seeing your opinions :) This is a topic worth discussion.

I also would like to hear (read) what Mr. Indepndent has to say. All opinions are welcome here. seriously. take the time to write it out.

Let's say my lady and I and her son are walking down the street (this happens often) and someone comes up to mug us. She is a 125lb woman, and her son is 30lbs. I on the other hand am 195lbs and scary (when I'm mad). So logically who is going to stop a mugger/murderer in this situation? She should run in and get mauled by a maniac simply because she should see herself as "equal" in that regard? No. See I can punch a lot harder than her. So it makes sense that I go and punch this person in the face (multiple times) while she takes the boy in the other direction.

In my mind's eye, I saw you standing in front of the mugger, and you say "Snake smash!" and this happens.

cm-12113-05000f329627a4.gif

No wonder the nice guys died off.

They aren't dead, we are just in hiding. The ones who haven't hid have changed.

As someone who's studied gender and masculinity for three years now, I'm having a really hard time keeping my mouth shut here. It would take me hours to write everything that needs to be said, though.

Please write it.

Level 1 Woodwose

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Please write it out our at least give us the TL;DR. I'm still trying to get myself to write out a wall o' text on something i need advice on.

Semper Gumby-Always FlexiblePain is weakness leaving the body.FITOCRACY

I consider sacrifice for another to be the ultimate form of love, and that the love of others is a characteristic that defines being a man.

This is precisely what this video is getting at. That men often still see the world through caveman eyes; the world is scary and harsh and we need to protect the ones we love from it. in a heterosexual relationship, this usually means the man defending the woman. So the man is ready to give up his life to defend the woman, and the woman is ready to give up her agency to protect the family. stereotypical gender roles essentially.

in the modern world, particularly the western 1st world, this set up isn't particularly necessary, and feminism argues that women should no longer have to give up their agency in this manner. BUT they still expect men to "man up" and defend women (or womens honour) if/when the need arises. the video puts forward that feminists want out of the traditional bargain, but want men to stick to their role.

and that's the kicker isn't it. try telling your girlfriend "woman up and stay in the house and keep it ready for the family" and see how that flies. but in that mugger situation, you can bet your bottom dollar that everyone would tell you to "man up and defend your family". in both cases a person is giving up their safety, their agency, their humanity, to fulfill a role.

now i don't believe that women should fulfill this role; i don't think they should stay at home and be in the kitchen or whatever. i don't think a man should stand between them and the world in any way, be that good or bad, safe or dangerous. and i don't think women should expect men to hold the shield on the principle, waiting for the call to use it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AZSF - lvl 4 assassin

STR - 9 | DEX - 12 | STA - 10.5 | CON - 7 | WIS - 8.5 | CHA - 1