Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings all, I guess I should start off by telling everyone about myself. Im a 28 year old controls engineer from Michigan, which basically just means I'm stuck in front of a laptop for 10-12 hours a day. I used to be in relatively good shape going to the gym 4 times a week and staying active throughout my day, until four years ago when I got my current job. I went from being on my feet all day having plenty of time to go to the gym and cook decent meals to sitting all day for 80 hours a week and being so tired that i would just shovel down whatever fast food place was on my way home, which brings me to my current state. I'm 40 pounds overweight and can only lift a fraction of what i once could. I've recently started to monitor my calories taking in 600 less a day on average and started hitting the gym again as of last week. I would like to loose the 40 of fat and gain some lean muscle. I have a goal set in place of doing the Tough Mudder event buy March of 2013. Any help, thoughts, personal stories would be great in helping me reach my goals. Thanks for reading and I look forward to getting fit with the rest of the Rebel Squad

You sound like you have similar goals to me: lose a bunch of fat, gain a bit of muscle, and beat the crap out of a tough mudder. I'm looking to lose about 30-40 lbs of fat and gain 10 of muscle to be at my ideal 220-230 lb and 12% BF. I'm going about it by eating a low carb paleo type lifestyle that I intend to keep (except for the low carb) past the weight loss and doing a mix of weight lifting (2-3 times a week) and cardio (1-2 times a week), with a little bit of high intensity stuff mixed in (1 time a week). I have worked up to working out this much.

For just getting into it, the biggest thing I'd say is to make sure you find some routine that you enjoy. If you enjoy getting in shape, its 10x easier to do.

Welcome!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Lift lift lift! :) We <3 lifting here.

Are you doing any cardio/running currently? Running is my first love and ONE of these days I want to do a half marathon..I just don't have the time to train for one right now. When I first started on my fitness journey, I was running slower than I could have walked...but later that summer I was running 3 miles in about 30 minutes! Hope that helps inspire ya!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I know that I have the same problem since I got my current job a couple of years ago. Sitting in front of a computer 7am-5pm min. monday - friday. I'd suggest getting up every hour and walking around a bit (dirty secret is that i'll close the door to my office every so often and bust out a plank, nobody's walked in on me yet xD.) But i know that the little things i try to do at work don't seem like a lot but i think they've helped toward my goals.