Forums are back in action! ×

Nerdiest Job?

As a business major, that kinda job sounds like fun. Especially since I'm taking a finance class right now and we're talking about trading and stocks and such.

We love your kind. We get a kick out of it when the interns come in so eager and full of hope. Then by the end of ther 4 month stint, they are one of us...the downtrodden, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, dead eyed, hopeless lost souls that realize they will be sitting in a cubicle for 110,000 hours of their life keeping track of other peoples millions and billions of dollars while eating ramen for dinner every night.

See ya soon!

We love your kind. We get a kick out of it when the interns come in so eager and full of hope. Then by the end of ther 4 month stint, they are one of us...the downtrodden, overworked, underpaid, underappreciated, dead eyed, hopeless lost souls that realize they will be sitting in a cubicle for 110,000 hours of their life keeping track of other peoples millions and billions of dollars while eating ramen for dinner every night.

See ya soon!

Same thing happens in engineering. People think they're gonna come in and change the world, then they realize onyl about 2% of engineering is design work.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Same thing happens in engineering. People think they're gonna come in and change the world, then they realize onyl about 2% of engineering is design work.

Bwhahahah! I'm in the 2%.

But yes so true. In engineering it'll take a few years before one realizes that all hope should be abandoned and not 4 months. :)

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Guest guest4729

See ya soon!

Aw, that's unfortunate. I won't be working in that field, but I do find it interesting.

I hope to work in international business. I'm majoring in International Management with a minor in German so I hope to use that to work abroad and do something involving foreign trade or relations. I might not enter the field at that level, but I like to keep my options open and be optimistic. If you want something bad enough, you'll get it.

Thats cool. I'm mostly just busting chops. I do enjoy my job and have a blast at work. Its just repetitive and not very challenging. I recently was told that I will be moving into a project role where I will be working on different things, so hopefully that will break the monotony.

Plus I have a side business as a photographer, so that keeps me sane.

Way late to this party, but I've been a community manager in the video/PC games industry for oh-my-god-has-it-really-been-15 years now (and started in the games industry doing tech support a couple of years before that). Before that (early 90's) I worked full-time as a cosysop and office manager for the biggest subscription-based BBS in L.A. We had the regional license for Tele-Arena so our lines were always full.

I don't have much in the way of real muscles yet, but I sure can flex the geek cred. :victorious:

Healthcare IT tech. So basically nurses break sh*t and I fix it. :P

"Have you turned it off and on again? Are you absolutely sure it's plugged in?"

We do get some weird tickets. Last week a sister hospital got a work order that said "PC was slammed to the ground and urinated on. Please pick up." Glad it wasn't mine to deal with.

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

Molecular gastronomy....

Sounds cool right? I'm a chef that gets to play with the form and properties of my foods.

I also smoke some serious bbq. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

JakSavage

Level 2 Half-Dragon Ranger

STR:6 DEX:5 STA:5 CON:3 WIS:4 CHA:3

All your specs are belong to us!

I'd like to have a nerdy job like building microchips or something like that...but I think my current path is on the project management track. So, not as nerdy. My shtick is "bringing people and technology together" because sometimes they are like oil and water (see urinated-on computer in previous post for example). I've got the soft skills, I love people, and I'm awesome, but I'm also pretty good with technical stuff (I created a program in VBA without actually knowing any VBA. and yes it works).

So, unfortunately not nerdy, so I will just have to nerd out in my free time!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Nurse (actual student about to graduate as a nurse, but I still do all the nursing work).

Science? Tons of it

Math? More than you would believe

Lots of work with other people that also like superheros and zombies? YES! Especially on the unit I am on!!!!

I guess it really is not technically a nerdy job, but when you get a bunch of the smart ones together that like to look at numbers and talk about the electrical components of the body, it becomes quite nerdy.

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Healthcare IT tech. So basically nurses break sh*t and I fix it. :P

"Have you turned it off and on again? Are you absolutely sure it's plugged in?"

We do get some weird tickets. Last week a sister hospital got a work order that said "PC was slammed to the ground and urinated on. Please pick up." Glad it wasn't mine to deal with.

Don't worry, we are not all that dumb lol. As more tech savvy people move into the field, I promise to only call when it is really broken haha.

A few weeks ago I had to remind someone on the unit that in order for them to log into the workstation that they were so frustratingly trying to get into, that they should heed the message on the screen that said it was currently logged onto and locked by an administrator and that admin needed to unlock it. She said something snarky and then said she would just turn it off and then back on...she then turned only the monitor off then back on lol.

I bet she eventually called one of you guys :hopelessness:

Dwarf Ranger STR 3 // DEX 2 // STA 2 // CON 4 // WIS 2 // CHA 2"It's Simple, so says the Captain;Face Forward,Move Slow,Forge Ahead.Onward! Onward! Onward!"

Don't worry, we are not all that dumb lol. As more tech savvy people move into the field, I promise to only call when it is really broken haha.

A few weeks ago I had to remind someone on the unit that in order for them to log into the workstation that they were so frustratingly trying to get into, that they should heed the message on the screen that said it was currently logged onto and locked by an administrator and that admin needed to unlock it. She said something snarky and then said she would just turn it off and then back on...she then turned only the monitor off then back on lol.

I bet she eventually called one of you guys :hopelessness:

That happens all the time!! Cracks me up. There are some nurses that I *love* because they actually listen and know what to try first. Then there's the monitor power ones and the ones who put drinks and foot on their nursing carts. Nothing makes me more annoyed than going to fix something and finding water pouring out of it. *grumble*

In training to be awesome! :highly_amused:

I do health research and statistics all day in a hospital. Dr nerd. Not tv grays anatomy... Me + office + data = stats joy!,

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

I'm a Site Engineer for a big builder over here. Spend the majority of my time arguing with subcontractors who can't read design drawings and the rest of the time arguing with consultants about design drawings that make no sense. At least I'm project based though; plenty going on to keep me busy. I'm applying to a few mining companies now hoping to get a fly in fly out job on some of the big mines in North Queensland.