Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings and salutations

Hello all names Nate.

My story:

In High school i was over 300ib's and had always had low self esteem about it. Would go to bed at night vowing to make real changes in my life, but every morning when the sun came up they seemed to evaporate away with my conviction to change. Went on like that for the first few years out of High school as well, until a relationship that I was in crashed and burned. It was not pretty but it forced me to realize that if you don't respect yourself or your body it will seep into other parts of your life as well. Long story short I lost almost 100Ib's in 4 months on the cigarette and diet coke diet.

I'll admit it was the worst way to go about it. What I learned from it was that I could make real visible changes to my body as long as I had the motivation and conviction to make those changes. I felt like crap and looked hollow eyed and sickly, but it was empowering to now that I wouldn't always have to be the fat self depreciating funny guy in the group.

Over the next few years I bounced between 230Ib's -260Ib's on average until my divorce a year ago. It was time to make healthy changes this time around. At first my goal was to make it a lifestyle choice because every other time when I didn't go work out for a week i fell of the bandwagon for 6 months or more.

After about 5 months of making it a lifestyle choice I hit a plateau, which was fine because I made working out and being active a part of my lifestyle. But, on the flip side it was time to make some goals. So here they are.

Goals:

Run a 5k every Month this Year.

Get my BF% to 10% (sitting at about 18%ish)

I've always been self conscious about myself so I want to be fit and cut at least once in my life so that I can look back and know that I could do it.

Thanks for reading my rambling introduction looking forward to being an active part of the community!

That's a pretty low BF% to start with, the goal isn't far away!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Haha, No doubt. Thats my long term Goal for the year. Trying to keep up with having short/mid/long term goals, even though I get lazy sometimes and just go through the Motions. Any advice on good midterm goals is appreciated, those are the ones I'm the worst at. Been cutting for a long time now and my BF% hasn't been going down for some time. Decided to start doing a conservative bulking phase that's high protein over the course of the day.

Yeah, I'd say come up with BF%'s you want to hit and either cycle the bulking/cutting or to do something like leangains that people have been able to do both pretty much at the same time with, though at a much slower pace. I haven't hit that stage yet, so my advise is not backed by anything but the research I've done in planning for when I get there.

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Welcome to the Rebellion! Looks like you've learned quite a bit along the way, but it's seems like you're on a pretty good track right now. Eating "clean" is pretty important too (like paleo or primal), and that might be something to look into, if you haven't already. It could help nudge you away from the plateau you've found yourself on.

Best of luck with your goals!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

If you have the inspiration, you have the talent. Strive to be happy. :)

Welcome! I wish I had 18% bf! Have you done any 5ks yet? I have done a couple and one 10k. I really want to do a half marathon but I don't have a lot of extra time to train at that intensity right now. I've started lifting heavy which is awesome but running will always be my first love.

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thanks StrengthIsBeauty!

MirGSS: Yup I ran a thanksgiving 5k! A ton of fun, been getting a group of friend together to try and run them with me. A ton of really cool ones. Grats on the 10k! Thats a long run! Thinking about sticking with the 5k's just to keep my endurance up and am now starting to work on strength training more and bulking up a bit =D. I appreciate the responses guys!