Forums are back in action! ×

Sucking it up and posting a "Hello!"

I'm shy. To illustrate how shy; I've been trying to post a greeting for 5 days now. So here it is! Woo! One fear down and several to go.

I found Nerd Fitness when I googled "I can't do a chin up how do I get started?" I play computer games. I saw Nerd Fitness. Sounded like the place for me and after reading several articles and spying around on the community I'm greatful I found it. I've been off and on running for a few years but despite cutting calories and bouncing, running, and flailing through hours of cardio I haven't managed to lose much weight or get the look I really want. Not to mention, I've got two kids who think I'm the world's strongest human being but they're getting bigger and I'm not getting stronger..until now. I have a membership at the YMCA and as of yesterday I invaded the weight room.

My basic plan is this: 2-4 weeks of the Rebel Guide's "Bootcamp" to get a feel for bodyweight. Although the bootcamp portion doesn't require weights I'm doing it in the weight area. It's got a big open space and as I meet people in there I'll be more comfortable asking for a spot later. After bootcamp I'll move on to the Dumbbell Division and work on that for 12 weeks. My ultimate goal is barbell training. I'm so excited!

My diet cuts all grains, refined sugar, and legumes. I can't move myself to give up dairy but I aim to rid myself of Dt. Mt. Dew by March. I'm down to one can a day. Yay!

I can't wait to meet people in the community and have some support along my journey. Nice to meet ya and I'm off to yoga class this morning!

Challenge 1 Plank time: 1960 seconds

Challenge 2 Rope Jump: 4200

Welcome! It looks like you have a solid plan the incorporates both diet and a workout plan. Good luck and I hope you have fun here!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

*uproarious applause* I'm new here too, but welcome! It sounds like you're off to an amazing start. Keep up the healthing and good things will happen.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

welcome to the party. if you want some help giving up soda, especially not doing the dew, read up on what that stuff does to your insides. Then again, I can't completely give up alcohol.. it's great to have goals though.

Level 2 Rebel
STR: 5    DEX: 1    STA: 7    CON: 6    WIS: 4    CHA: 4

"The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place, and I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t about how hard you hit. It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward."

Latest Challenge

Challenge 1

Haha, I've read all about what soda does to you and the great diet soda debate. Frankly I don't have a stance on either side but it is costly so I'm going to focus on what it does to the inside of my wallet.

Challenge 1 Plank time: 1960 seconds

Challenge 2 Rope Jump: 4200

Whoah, that's a lot of dew... I know what you mean about that stuff hitting your wallet. Although I have never been much of a soda drinker, the vending machine with all of its sugary treats is definitely my kryptonite. But anyways, good luck and much respect for your lofty goals Kim!

Outlaw Monk

"We have done the impossible and that makes us mighty" - Cpt. Malcolm Reynolds (Firefly)

My Mighty Quest!

STR 9.1 - DEX 9.6 - STA 5.6 - CON 7 - WIS 12 -CHA 8