Forums are back in action! ×

the chronicles of "the ignorant"

okay, this is not really off topic but....

I'm forever on my boss about the way he eats, he's utterly clueless. so he buys some okay healthy food, leaves it in the fridge and instead opts for a 'dr. oeteker' frozen pizza.

So I say to him, 'you ate that whole thing? there was 14 grams of saturated fat in there....let alone, 1650 mg of sodium, 880 calories, and 48 grams of fat...."

He says 'is that bad?'

:/

so then, i'm talking with my coworker about his diet, and she agrees that it isn't good.....and then she says to me, 'what are you eating?'

I say, 'yogurt and an apple'....i show her the yogurt by flipping the container upside down - 'see? it's greek yogurt' i say.....

she says 'oh! it's as thick as sour cream, and you think YOU are eating HEALTHY?'

OH DEAR GOD.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

I'm fortunately having very visible results for my friends. But, they think I'm gonna die from a heart attack because I'm eating two dozen eggs a week (they're cheap!)

Yep. My daily cholesterol is something like 2.5x the recommended amount, just after I finish breakfast. i really hope this recent research saying that dietary cholesterol doesn't really cause blood cholesterol is right...

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Yep. My daily cholesterol is something like 2.5x the recommended amount, just after I finish breakfast. i really hope this recent research saying that dietary cholesterol doesn't really cause blood cholesterol is right...

Me too.....your egg monster is killin me!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Me too.....your egg monster is killin me!

I recently have been adding franks redhot on top.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Some folks say the darnedest things...

"You eat bacon EVERY DAY??!?!?!"

"Eggs are bad for you!"

"Beef/chicken/meat is bad for you!"

"Starbucks isn't *that* bad..."

"But white flour is supposed to be good for you!" (yeah, I'm being serious)

People won't believe anything until they see it. I look noticeably thinner than I did 4 months ago, and some people have asked me how I keep in shape. The only people who take the idea of eating low-carb, high-fat, high-protein seriously are folks who can compare how I looked then vs now. Everyone else basically laughs at the notion that the typical American diet is fallible. They can live their lives as they want; I personally use it as extra motivation to be awesome, even if conventional wisdom disagrees with how I achieve the awesomeness.

I can't eat like that. my body wouldn't allow it. when I attempted paleo for shits and giggles, I had a gallbladder attack.

From paleo???? The worst ones I ever had were from nasty fried food....KFC was the culprit once.

I had my gallbladder out shortly after that and haven't had a problem since!

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

yes, if I eat too much high fat meat, it kills me, and I feel horrid. bacon is something i can only do sparingly, unless it's back bacon. I can't eat sausage, ribs sparingly as well.

I'm a turkey, chicken, lean ground beef, fish girl.

eggs will give me indigestion unless i fully cook them - runny yolks are heaven, but too many, and I can't stop burping.

ah, my complicated life.

And yes, I could do paleo on those meats alone, but I don't need to do paleo to achieve my goals.

ah, here comes that debate again! it forever creeps up on NF doesn't it.

Why not get it checked, just to be safe?

Also, gallbladder removal? I'd hope to have a really good reason before randomly removing organs...

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

I do need to get around to getting a physical, haven't had one since '04.

500 / 330 / 625

Corey, you should get one! I'd be curious to know your numbers

I'm getting too close to 30 and I know what they start doing to you when you go to the doctors at that age.

500 / 330 / 625

I'm forever on my boss about the way he eats, he's utterly clueless. so he buys some okay healthy food, leaves it in the fridge and instead opts for a 'dr. oeteker' frozen pizza.

So I say to him, 'you ate that whole thing? there was 14 grams of saturated fat in there....let alone, 1650 mg of sodium, 880 calories, and 48 grams of fat...."

He says 'is that bad?'

This kinda begs the question of why you are forever on your boss. Are you trying to help him change out of concern and you think frequently pestering him is the best way to accomplish that, or is there something else at play? Personally, if someone endlessly pestered me about my lifestyle choices or what I ate, I'd tell him to F off and/or I'd do the opposite. I kinda wonder if his response of "is that bad" was said because he knew it would drive you crazy. And, I also kinda wonder if you're being entirely altruistic here, or maybe there are deeper reasons you're going out of your way to pester him.

Also, gallbladder removal? I'd hope to have a really good reason before randomly removing organs...

That's one way to get your lean mass percentage up...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

I'm getting too close to 30 and I know what they start doing to you when you go to the doctors at that age.

Wait til your 50.. and it aint that bad.

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

This kinda begs the question of why you are forever on your boss. Are you trying to help him change out of concern and you think frequently pestering him is the best way to accomplish that, or is there something else at play? Personally, if someone endlessly pestered me about my lifestyle choices or what I ate, I'd tell him to F off and/or I'd do the opposite. I kinda wonder if his response of "is that bad" was said because he knew it would drive you crazy. And, I also kinda wonder if you're being entirely altruistic here, or maybe there are deeper reasons you're going out of your way to pester him.

That's actually a really good point. I didn't make any changes until I hadn't heard anything from anyone for a while. People telling me what to do made me want to dig my heels in and yell, "NO!"

Jesus don't read into it so much. My boss is a great guy who is recently divorced, and he is aware of his ignorance about nutrition. He is open to my criticism, and i don't preach at him. I genuinely care about his well being, as his recent single status has left him clueless for food.sorry to dissapoint i am not projecting my self loathing onto others by hounding them about my superior nutrition.

I do need to get around to getting a physical, haven't had one since '04.

Whoo! Physical free since '01 myself.... I should probably get looked at. But not this year...

Jesus don't read into it so much. My boss is a great guy who is recently divorced, and he is aware of his ignorance about nutrition. He is open to my criticism, and i don't preach at him. I genuinely care about his well being, as his recent single status has left him clueless for food.sorry to dissapoint i am not projecting my self loathing onto others by hounding them about my superior nutrition.

That's cool. If he is open to it then the best strategy is to take it slow. Bombarding someone with lots of info (like I am want to do when someone asks about my habits) is a sure fire way to make them shy away....

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Whoo! Physical free since '01 myself.... I should probably get looked at. But not this year...

That's cool. If he is open to it then the best strategy is to take it slow. Bombarding someone with lots of info (like I am want to do when someone asks about my habits) is a sure fire way to make them shy away....

Yes on the slow....he just turned 50, and his habits are so bad. Coffee,donuts, mcdonalds....my instinct is to hound him, but i resist...

Yes on the slow....he just turned 50, and his habits are so bad. Coffee,donuts, mcdonalds....my instinct is to hound him, but i resist...

If you say so, except for...

I'm forever on my boss about the way he eats, he's utterly clueless.

Which sounds to me like you could 'resist' a bit more frequently than you actually do resist.