Forums are back in action! ×

Hello, fellow nerds!

Hi everyone! I just joined today and am really excited about finding a nerdy, supportive community for fitness. I've barely scratched the surface on reading all the info, but I think I'm going to choose Assassin for my guild. I am an amateur circus artist and my training goals really are in support of becoming a better aerialist. 

I'm 38, female, and consider myself in pretty good shape. I was pretty inactive for most of my life- I was a bookish/nerdy/artsy kid who hated organized sports and was literally the last to be picked for teams in gym class. I always wanted to do gymnastics but I think my parents didn't want to deal with all the competition stuff so I wasn't allowed. I did a ballet/tap/jazz class for a year when I was 13, and liked the dancing but didn't enjoy it socially as it was very competitive and clique-ish. I got scared into joining a gym in my mid-20s when I developed a repetitive strain injury in both wrists from computer use. I really only dabbled in strength training, running, and yoga for years until I discovered a local circus school when I was 33. Finally I found a form of exercise that was exciting, challenging, interesting, and fun, and an art form besides! Unlike the awful teen-girl dance class, the circus community is incredibly supportive and encouraging. I do both static apparatus (trapeze, rope, fabric, lyra) and flying trapeze. Also handstands. Static trapeze is my favorite (my profile pic is from a performance I did as Pris from Blade Runner last year!)

Until 2013, in addition to circus classes 1-2 times as week, I did a lot of strength training (mostly Body Pump classes) and yoga. There was a gym right across from my workplace so it was easy to go there at lunch. What else was I going to do anyway? But in late 2013 I was laid off and ever since then I haven't quite figured out how to integrate that level of activity into my life. I ended up going freelance (I'm a fine artist, graphic designer, and academic editor) and work from home. It's easier to take a nap in the afternoon than it is to motivate myself to exercise. I joined a local YMCA but there were a lot of things I didn't like about it and I hated having to get in the car to drive there so I would just make excuses about it. One month I basically spent a $63 membership to go to one spinning class. Not worth it. I just cancelled my membership and want to develop a home exercise routine instead. 

I've been pretty successful with incorporating bodyweight exercises (pull-ups, pushups, squats, dips, etc.) into my day using the Coach.me app and a timer to remind me to take breaks from the computer. I have various free weights that I haven't really been using, so that's one goal. I want to start running outside again now that the weather is nicer. I want to get stronger and more flexible so I can be a better circus performer. But to make all this happen I need accountability, a community, and a greater variety of exercises, and it sounds like I'm in the right place! Looking forward to training with you all! :)

• Like 1