Forums are back in action! ×

It's a good time to break things!

Things like habits, trends, patterns, misconceptions, limits. After a mental health crisis and and a breakup broke me a few months ago, this is my philosophy of the day: I'm a twenty-year-old college student with time to figure things out. I haven't been here for a while due to aforementioned crisis, but I'm starting over! To me there is no better time to smash self-imposed limits:

-Thinking I don't have enough time in the day to work out, work on school, AND sleep

-Thinking I can't run as fast or long as I did in high school cross country

-Perfectionism, which makes it an all-or-nothing ordeal. I think of progress like an integral of a function, with perfectionism represented by a piecewise function where f(x) = some uber huge value if I do it just right, while f(x) = 0 if it's not perfect and I don't do anything at all! The integral of the function for a large value of x is smaller than the integral of the curve that represents non-perfectionism! I hope that makes sense outside of my head.

Moving beyond these mental walls, I hope I can accomplish things like:

-Losing that freshman fifteen. Dammit, I said it: I actually gained the freshman fifteen.

-Be happy

But I can't do it myself. Believe me, I've tried. I seek alliances! Join me, and I will add the following quirks to your party!

-Mad spreadsheet skillz— I've been designing and keeping a spreadsheet of my workouts, metrics of my mood, and other health-related things for three months so far!

-Bad puns

-Biology/Stats-based geekery

-High-level list-crafting skills

-Crazy salad ideas

Hit me up if you're looking for an accountable accountabilibuddy, my friends

• Like 1

Hello, and welcome here! It took a while to figure out what the freshman-fifteen was, but then I realized it's probably the same as my baby-fifteen. :-) 

I also had somewhat of a mental crisis; in February I went on sick leave due to stress at work, and I've been taking steps to reset and build healthy habits that will increase and maintain resiliency when I start my new job in a week.

I hear you on the perfectionism, I've concluded that I would rather feel physical pain than be a noob at something. So I'm working on breaking down the belief that < 100% = 0 by doing more new things and getting used to feeling like a beginner again and being ok with it. Tai chi class is fun but also uncomfortable for me because it will take months to learn the full set and much longer to gain proficiency. 

Good job taking steps to get back on track! 

• Like 2

My Character

Challenges: Current | First | 2 | 3

Yep, the freshman fifteen is what it sounds like.

Mental distress really changes how you function! I hope the best for you in your new job, and that you build the resiliency you need.

Glad you understand the struggle of dichotomous thinking. It's a killer sometimes. Let us both break out of perfectionism!

• Like 1