Forums are back in action! ×

Greetings, I'm greeter. I joined this site earlier today after doing a google search about how to get into shape. An article on this site was one of the first to pop up, and it suggested joining these forums, so here I am. I'm 29 years old, overweight, and recently quit smoking. I want to get into shape for several reasons. The two most pressing reasons are health and employment. A recent trip to my family doctor revealed that I have dangerously high blood pressure, something neither of my parents had to deal with before they were 40. I also want to get into shape because it will help me land my dream job, which right now is electrician apprentice.

I'm new to forums in general, and I'm feeling a little lost. I've already read the rules for the forums, the IRC channel (where I'm likely to frequent by the way since I'm a huge fan of IRC) and the website. But I'm sure there's more recommended reading out there. If somebody could point me in the right direction on this, please let me know. Thank you. If there's anything you want to know about me, ask, pretty open book here.

For me, this is a great place to start here at NF:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/05/10/real-life-role-playing-what-is-your-profession/

Someone saying "I want to get into shape" is way too vague.  Think about the reason you want to get into shape, and then go even further.  You want a better career.  Okay, why?  To make more money?  To live with more purpose?  And what is your idea of "in shape"?  You want to be stronger?  Do you want to be able to run faster or jump higher?  Are you considering taking a martial art?  Start with the article above, figure out what path intrigues you the most, and ask/lurk around.  There are plenty of great topics on here, as well as the main site, for exercising and eating better.

And don't get discouraged.  You will fail, and that's okay.  We all do.  What's important to remember is that if your goals are important enough, then you keep going, no matter what.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

• Like 1

Level 4

Character Sheet | Current Challenge |

| Past Challenges | #1 | #2 | #3#4 |
Educate - Entertain - Inspire

Thanks Haikoo. And yeah, you'll probably see me in the chat fairly often, and at all hours of the day since without a job, I never bother to adhere to a schedule.

And thanks Captain Intertia for that informative article. I'll have to reread it in a day or two, after I've thought about it a little and decide how it applies to me.

4 hours ago, greeter said:

Thanks Haikoo. And yeah, you'll probably see me in the chat fairly often, and at all hours of the day since without a job, I never bother to adhere to a schedule.

And thanks Captain Intertia for that informative article. I'll have to reread it in a day or two, after I've thought about it a little and decide how it applies to me.

I've basically lived there for the last 4 years, so I'm not one to judge >_>

STR 7.2 | DEX 3.5 | STA 5.8 | CON 8.4 | WIS 5.55 | CHA 5.5

Most Recent Challenge