Forums are back in action! ×

First Program Finished!

When I began my HIIT & Run in the first week of February, I didn’t think it would work as fast as it did.  I took some measurements on the 31st of January and began my first video program the very next day.  In addition to that, I began walking.  Even though I came from a very physically fit background, I knew I slid into a bad lifestyle and needed to start all over from the beginning.

The video workout I began with is called Ho'Ala ke Kino (translation: Awaken the Body).  It’s a 27 minute yoga routine created and led by Tony Horton.  It incorporates stretching, traditional yoga, and a couple of moves created by Tony.  It focuses on core strength, stability, flexibility, and balance.  It’s a beginning program according to the Beachbody Library and listed as low-impact.  In other words, it is the perfect beginning routine for a guy who was sedentary for about two years after slowly sliding into an unhealthy lifestyle.

Besides Ho'Ala ke Kino, I was also walking the local college track every night for about an hour.  It was just walking and lasted as close to an hour as the chapters of my book allowed (sometimes under, sometimes over, but always whatever was closest to a full hour).  Because I live in Oregon, it was cold and often wet, but I kept pushing myself to do it every single night.

On the 28th of February, the Sunday closest to the 1st, I took another set of measurements.  To say I was surprised is an understatement.  My neck grew 1”, my right bicep grew 0.5” and my left shrank 0.25”, my chest shrank 1.25”, my waist shrank 2.25”, my hips (butt) shrank 1.25”, my thighs grew 1.75” and 2”, and my calves both shrank 0.5”.  However, the biggest improvement came from the loss of 3 pounds and 4% BFI.  The BFI equated to the loss of 13.9 pounds of fat!

I know that the rapid decline of my fat is due to the previously high conditioning my body had.  That didn’t stop me from celebrating a bit at the fact I improved so rapidly thanks to a lifestyle change and light workout routine.  I guess cutting processed foods out of my diet, as well as high fructose corn shite, helps!  Though, for moral reasons, I have a single “cheat” meal on Sundays where I order a burger, onion rings, and a soda for dinner (or something similarly unhealthy but craved).  It’s good to have a set and regular cheat meal on your diet to keep you honest through the rest of it.

Besides the measurements on the 28th, I also began my next Beachbody video program.  This one was called Great Body Guaranteed!, and consisted of five different routines focusing on different parts of the body.  There was a stretch routine, abs routine, and arms routine lead by Tony Horton; and a thigh routine and butt routine lead by Debbie Siebers.

Technically, you’re supposed to do all five of the programs every day, six days a week.  However, even when I began suggesting this video series to my soldiers, I never suggested that.  You need to give your muscles time to heal, between 24 and 48 hours, and doing them all every day will get boring over a 30 day period.  So, I modified it.  Sundays were for Stretch only.  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday were Stretch, Abs, Arms, and Stretch.  Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday were Stretch, Buns, Thighs, and Stretch.  It lasted about 40 minutes a day, incorporated stretching before and after, and I had a definite focus of upper on one day and lower on another.

The program really only required a yoga mat, but I used a pair of 5 pound dumbbells for the arm routine.  Tony did Isometric moves, but it just didn’t feel right to me.  So, I added a pair of dumbbells to get a good workout on my muscles.  Rather than do the squat portion of the arms workout, I also used a stability ball due to the weakness of my right kneecap (it’s aftermarket parts from the military).

Diet-wise, I was spreading my 2180 calories out across five meals a day.  Well, technically, there are three meals, a meal replacement supplement shake, and a meal replacement supplement bar.  On top of that, I was taking a recovery-based vitamin pack, CLA, creatine, and a pre-workout energy drink.  My food choices were quite paleo, but included pasta and oatmeal.  Except for my cheat meal on Sundays, I rarely purchase anything processed or not made in my own kitchen.  The only time I go into the middle of the store is to pick up tea bags.  Oh, that reminds me, I also drank ice tea rather than water, sweetened with 0.25 cups sugar to the gallon; I drink it because my tap water tastes like chlorinated urine.

Yesterday, I completed the final workout of this routine.  Today, I took my measurements and other than that will be doing absolutely nothing (not even walking).  It’s the first day of my recovery week between routines.  The rest of this week, I’ll be walking like normal in the evenings and will be doing Ho'Ala ke Kino during my normal exercise time.  Yoga and stretching never hurts during a recovery week.

So, how about those measurements?  I knew I wouldn’t be seeing the same results as my first month off the couch, but wow.

Since my last measurement, I gained 0.5” in my neck, lost 0.75” and 0.5” in my biceps, lost 1.75” in my chest, lost 0.75” in my waist, lost 2.25” in my hips, lost 0.75” and  0.25” in my thighs, and lost 0” and 0.25” in my calves.  I also lost 11 lbs and 1.6% BFI (equating to 8.6 lbs of fat according to the numbers).

Overall, since the beginning, I gained 1.5” in my neck, lost 0.25” and 0.75” in my biceps, lost 3” in my chest, lost 3” in my waist, lost 3.5” in my hips, gained 1” and 1.75” in my thighs, and lost 0.5” and 0.75” in my calves.  I also lost 14 lbs and 5.6% BFI (equating to 22.5 lbs of fat according to the numbers).

Now, I’m moving on to the Power 90 system from Beachbody.  It’s also led by Tony Horton (I like his style and humor) and is considered a Beginner/Intermediate program that focuses on slimming & toning and muscle building.  Unlike the previous programs, this one lasts 90 days and it is a two workout a day system (I’ll be doing the Fat-Burning Express workout in the mornings, the Sweat Cardio/Ab Ripper or Sculpt Circuit routine in the afternoon, and my cardio in the evenings.

I’m also doing a couple of upgrades.  First, I’m upgrading to a pair of 10 pound dumbbells for this program.  Second, I’m planning to introduce running into my cardio routine by walking 300 meters of the track and running 100 meters.  Finally, I’m upgrading to an energy and metabolism vitapac.

The next program is 90 days long, so I’ll see you with my next WOOT post then!  Otherwise, keep an eye on my Battle Log for the most recent reports from my HITT & Run and my monthly weigh-ins.

Thumbnail_zpsui4rba0j.png

• Like 1
5 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

That's a crazy impressive first 60 days! :D (And with aftermarket parts to boot!)

I know, right?  I cut out all processed and preserved foods, like the heavy kind.  I only ever got soda once a week, and then it was the watered down kind from self-serve fountains, and avoided foods with any ingredients that the average six year old couldn't pronounce.  On top of that, doing a 40 minute video every day and walking an hour!

Oh, the aftermarket is just my kneecap, so it's more a gripe (especially when it rains).

Yesterday, I decided to "live it up" a little.  I went to a meeting and had a slice of pizza, a piece of stuffed cheesy break, a chocolate chip (tollhouse) cookiee, some fritos, and a cup of coke.  First, I could actually taste the preservatives in the chips and cookie.  Second, I about hurled when I tasted the coke (all my sugar is natural white or home-made using dehydrated fruits and honey).  Finally, this morning I woke up with what I could swear is a hangover from the shite yesterday.

• Like 1