Forums are back in action! ×

New Rules lunges

So I am doing the new rules program, and really like it so far. I have notixed however that my lunges aren't really improving. I've noticed improcement in every other exercise. I may just be impatient, but I am wondering if something is wrong with my form/strategy. I know my front thigh is supposed to be parallel to the ground, but how far should I step forward? Should I try taking a smaller step? Should I go fast or slow? I have been doing them with 15 lb dumbbells, and I could reduce the weight, but I would have to go down to 10 lbs. I can't get the full 15 reps in...maybe it no longer matters since next time will be fewer reps.

I'm probably overthinking it. Thoughts?

Level ? Half-Dwarf/Half-Amazon Warrior

STR:21.25 STA:15 DEX: 10.95 CON: 14 WIS:15.5 CHA:17

SWOLE BUCKS: 1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

I've found the same thing happening. I do lunges with a 45-lb. plate (because it looks cooler than dumbells) and even as my squat and deadlift numbers rise, I don't find my lunges getting easier. I think it may have to do with the fact that a lunge is more dynamic and has to do more with power production (putting those muscles to use in concert with the joints/tendons/etc) than raw strength, the curve might be a bit less steep.

Just a thought...

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

As far as how much you should step forward, it depends on what muscles you want to focus on. I've been doing longer lunge stretches because I want to work my glutes more.

When I was doing NRoLfW I started having trouble with my lunges; I suddenly had inexplicable pain in my hamstrings, even when I did them without any weight. No idea why, but I switched to doing more step-ups for a while because they worked similar muscle groups and I'd try the lunges every now and again and eventually the pain went away and the lunges were fine. It was really weird.

I definitely find myself breathing hard (! REALLY hard!) when doing lunges, in a way I don't get doing DLs, squats, crunches, etc. (although the step ups get me out of breath too). Guess I will just keep at it and hopefully I will improve :/

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Higher reps won't build strength as fast as heavy weight low reps...And these will come later in the program.

Just make sure if you are doing 15 reps with 15 lb dumbbells, you should increase that weight if the reps go down. I can't remember what if falls to, but if it's 8 reps, then increase to 20 lb dumbbells.

Never let your fear decide your fate.

Right. I think it's 10 before 8. Or maybe even 12? I don't have the book with me today to look. I just found the "cardio" area of the school gym the other day (where nothing ever happens, at least not while I'm not there), and they have kettlebells as well as some other weights...I know I saw 8 lbs and 12 lbs..it would be awesome if they have like 17.5 or 18 but I'll have to check when I'm there tomorrow.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the form right and getting the most out of the exercise...it's crazy, I can seriously do DLs and squats and lat pulldowns....but the lunges kill me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

(where nothing ever happens, at least not while I'm not there)

What about when you are there? And how do you know what occurs when you're not there?

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

What about when you are there? And how do you know what occurs when you're not there?

Okay, well lately, there have been some people in there with a keyboard and some speakers...and singing. I have no idea what's up with that.

And spies. Lots and lots of spies.

/snark

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Right. I think it's 10 before 8. Or maybe even 12? I don't have the book with me today to look. I just found the "cardio" area of the school gym the other day (where nothing ever happens, at least not while I'm not there), and they have kettlebells as well as some other weights...I know I saw 8 lbs and 12 lbs..it would be awesome if they have like 17.5 or 18 but I'll have to check when I'm there tomorrow.

I just want to make sure I'm getting the form right and getting the most out of the exercise...it's crazy, I can seriously do DLs and squats and lat pulldowns....but the lunges kill me.

http://exercise.about.com/od/lowerbodyworkouts/ss/howtolunge_6.htm

this might help...

Never let your fear decide your fate.