Forums are back in action! ×

"What are you, some kind of artist or something?" - Post a Pic!

On 23.5.2016 at 0:17 AM, RandMart said:

I could draw once; not i just fuck around in Photoshop

Although some days, I have moments of re-found brilliance

19531688679_636c0ca867.jpg

Great sense of space! Is this some specific castle, or just something from your mind?

On 24.5.2016 at 6:16 AM, ninjakitten said:

Oh wow, just found your thread Ensi. <3

I'll definitely stay for more awesomeness. I haven't really painted in a while though. Just did some sketches to practice. 

The newer posts in your blog are all amazing. 

Yesss welcome, NK! I'd love to see more of your art work - I think you used to share in one of your challenges? You are super welcome to share even sketches, too! :) And thank you, you're so kind ;__;

4 hours ago, Owlet said:

Wheeeee thanks! Let's see...  emoji206.png 

Agh it worked! Such joy hehe  emoji206.png  emoji206.png  emoji206.png  emoji206.png  emoji206.png 

:DD You got yourself a whole herd, I see!

Ha, my final exam before the summer is now over, so I can focus on online surfing and netflix drawing more! Hmm... RandMart's castle actually gave me an idea: I've been playing the very first Tomb Raider, and I could draw Lara Croft adventuring somewhere! What have you all been up to? :)

• Like 3

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

47 minutes ago, LadyGrey said:

Here is an example of how much I have improved. I grew up drawing but mostly line art. I never got into value studies until much later. of course, these are just rough sketches (very rough lol) but I am thinking about taking this one further and add some watercolor and adding cherry blossoms. What do you guys think? 

inuyasha.jpg

Ooh, there's definitely progress! The cherry blossoms give the picture a neat sense of movement :) About watercolour... Maybe just a little bit? I personally feel like bright colours and pencil don't go that well together - the pencil can eat up the brightness, leaving it looking a bit smudged. Darker/dimmer colours work lovely with pencils, though! Rien Poortvliet is one of my favourites:

26a1395f865b737507b08cf5af74ae15.jpg

But of course, give it a go and prove me wrong? ;)

Who are the artists who inspire you, everyone? Lena Furberg, Don Rosa, Rien Poortvliet and some online artists like Phobs are definitely a huge source of inspiration for me :D And oh, Janusz Grabianski!!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shepherd Fox said:

About watercolour... Maybe just a little bit? I personally feel like bright colours and pencil don't go that well together - the pencil can eat up the brightness, leaving it looking a bit smudged. Darker/dimmer colours work lovely with pencils, though! Rien Poortvliet is one of my favourites:

Do you mean the pencil from the sketch? I intended to transfer the image to a fresh, clean piece of watercolor paper :) 

1 hour ago, Shepherd Fox said:

Darker/dimmer colours work lovely with pencils, though! Rien Poortvliet is one of my favourites:

26a1395f865b737507b08cf5af74ae15.jpg

Ooo that is a lovely picture :o I love the colors and feels.

• Like 3

Rising Heroes Faction: HAVIK 

Fitbit | Art Page | Instagram

11 minutes ago, LadyGrey said:

Do you mean the pencil from the sketch? I intended to transfer the image to a fresh, clean piece of watercolor paper :) 

Ooo that is a lovely picture :o I love the colors and feels.

Yes, that's what I meant! I thought you were going to continue with the pencil work - but a new work on watercolour paper sounds good! If you start working on it, I'll start sketching the Tomb Raider fan art :D

Rien Poortvliet is amazing. I recommend looking up some of his picture books!

• Like 1

A Drawing I did for my wife. (it has been a long time since I have done this and I am no where near where I would like to be with this.) haha!

My Wife and I are big Disney people and she asked to draw a character, and since Frozen is one of her Fav's... she asked for Elsa.  ( don't judge me... :P )

IMG_0184.JPG

• Like 2

My character:  My Character

18 hours ago, Sevasan said:

ok.. fail....   haha maybe this will work better?          (is there anyway to delete a post?)

Ooh, that's some very good lineart! You could be great at designing tattoos :D Are pencils your favourite tool of trade?

PixieKitten, I really like your style - and you have a lot of patience, considering the fur on that fox! What drawing software do you use?

I'm currently in a middle of a move, so I'll be back in drawing business later next week :) I have a couple of plans, and I'm going to focus more on painting during the summer. Yay!

Thanks Shepard!   I have mostly done pencil work. (I tried painting a few times... apparently it is not for me...)  But I do want to try to get some color drawings going.

And I know for sure that making something that would be a forever fixture upon someones body would be well above my skill level at this point! haha!    Maybe after I secure a new job  (my facility is closing down)  I can try to start getting back into drawing again.   I do enjoy it, I just have been out of practice for a while and have only done a few here and there.

• Like 1

So I have come to realize that I can draw if I can directly see what is in front of me. ( Photos or actual objects ) But if I have to try to get something on paper just from my imagination, I have a much much harder time...

Does anyone have any recommendations on books or activities to do/read on this subject?  (other than, just keep trying) ... even thought practice makes perfect!  

Anyone else have this situation?

2 hours ago, Sevasan said:

So I have come to realize that I can draw if I can directly see what is in front of me. ( Photos or actual objects ) But if I have to try to get something on paper just from my imagination, I have a much much harder time...

Does anyone have any recommendations on books or activities to do/read on this subject?  (other than, just keep trying) ... even thought practice makes perfect!  

Anyone else have this situation?

An interesting question...! But I've noticed that my own method of creating something from my mind is to start with multiple references. If I want to learn to draw a chimpanzee, for example:

I can't draw an accurate chimpanzee out of my head, so I'd first start with pictures and a few videos (to get a sense of how the animal moves), and get sketching and studying. After a few sketches, I usually start to have an idea of the anatomy and some natural poses the chimpanzee has, and I try to draw it without my reference. I might just try to create the exact same sketch I just drew with a reference, but this time without the reference. It's like having a "database" in my head: there are certain types of ears and eyes that chimpanzees have, and I can mix and match them to create something from my own head.

Another example: to draw a castle out of my head, I might first study different kinds of castles and draw actual roofs and window types. To create a castle of my own, I might use a roof type from one castle, and take the windows from another one. Nevertheless, this is where I don't stress about making the details look exactly like in my reference pictures: I'm free to modify and create my own shapes. It's just that I have a sense of what the object I'm drawing is like in the real world.

And when you start having a wide "database" of animals, environments, poses etc, you can start creating your own worlds! And then you can have a lot of fun :D

So, keep trying, and draw a lot! Each and every drawing teaches you more :) And remember to share, we're a curious bunch here...

Bonus: I have now moved, and started my new job. I'm gonna come up with some sketches this weekend :D

Instead of building a database, I have a tendency to just pull multiple references for a drawing I want to do and dive right into it. Pull an expression from this picture, background pieces from that picture, clothing from the other picture, and the shape of the nose from a different picture.

This one was done from just one reference though. I've started playing around with water color pencils and I'm having trouble with the "water" part. I don't really paint. Does anyone have any tips?

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

Can't edit my previous post, but I'd like to add: The drawing is very Spirit stylish, because Riki Sorsa, a singer who sings the Finnish songs of the movie, died last month :/ He did a wonderful job with the songs, go and listen to them on Youtube, if you have the time!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Owlet said:

Beautiful - both the painting and the sentiment :) 

Thank you! :) The pose is actually from one of Spirit's movie posters (or at least, that was in my mind while drawing - I remembered he was facing right, though!). This is just another "database" thing: I've drawn horses in many different poses, and now I can modify them and draw something from my head.

On 8.6.2016 at 11:38 PM, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Instead of building a database, I have a tendency to just pull multiple references for a drawing I want to do and dive right into it. Pull an expression from this picture, background pieces from that picture, clothing from the other picture, and the shape of the nose from a different picture.

This one was done from just one reference though. I've started playing around with water color pencils and I'm having trouble with the "water" part. I don't really paint. Does anyone have any tips?

I like this technique, too! You don't always have to know what you're drawing in advance - and you'll probably learn a lot more about your material while drawing it (I jumped right into it with the War Rig).

Tips for water colour... Practice :D And enjoy the minor chaos of water colours: if you don't try to control them 100 %, you might end up having a lot of fun playing with the colours. Watching other people painting is also very helpful, and might give you ideas:

ED; Usually, the less I worry about rules and theories while painting, the more I like what I'm doing :D Just have fun, and experiment!

11 hours ago, Ensi said:

Tips for water colour... Practice :D And enjoy the minor chaos of water colours: if you don't try to control them 100 %, you might end up having a lot of fun playing with the colours. Watching other people painting is also very helpful, and might give you ideas:

ED; Usually, the less I worry about rules and theories while painting, the more I like what I'm doing :D Just have fun, and experiment!

Ugh, I love videos like these. They make it look so easy!

• Like 2

“Do you know where the wicked go after death?"
"They go to hell," was my ready and orthodox answer.
"And what is hell? Can you tell me that?"
"A pit full of fire."
"And should you like to fall into that pit, and to be burning there for ever?"
"No, sir."
"What must you do to avoid it?"
I deliberated a moment: my answer, when it did come was objectionable: "I must keep in good health and not die.”
Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre

Nerd Fitness Character - Bronte Battle Bog

38 minutes ago, Jane Eyre Is My Patronus said:

Ugh, I love videos like these. They make it look so easy!

Just think it this way: you have the exact same tools and the same capabilities. You just need to learn how to use them :) Get to know yer artistic side!

My colleague brought me some photos today for reference. She saw me doodle a couple of horses the other day, and she asked me if I could paint something for her son! So, I'm going to start sketching soon, and spend the evening doing art :D I'm watching Kiki's Delivery Service, too. Miyazaki's films are so beautiful, they give me a lot of inspiration...!

• Like 2