Forums are back in action! ×

Supplements & women

Hey guys!

I'm just getting into lifting and seriously working out instead of going to the gym, hopping on a stationary cycle, and hoping to become fit via osmosis. However, I've been told by many sources (including a ton of websites I've done my pre-workout research on) that I need to take supplements in order to maximize my workouts and results. I found this website: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/girls-guide-to-supplements.html and it seems to be helpful, but I don't even know where to start to go buy them. I did some looking up on GNC and Vitamin World and such websites but I was wondering if there were some awesome products that work for you guys. Like Muscle Milk vs any other line (I only know Muscle Milk from previous experience with it being in my closet with I lived with my ex =P) and what supplements may be a mix of a few of the vitamins I need and can save me money. Or what I could skip and use something else instead? Any advice is welcome, I honestly have no idea where to start.

Fitocracy! | Running Trainer | Facebook | Twitter | Current Challenge Blog!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

What Waldo said. If you eat right there really isn't any reason for supplements. I would start by looking at what your eating habits now are and tweaking them for strength gains before considering supplements.

So question for you: What are your goals, and what are you currently eating?

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

If you never go out in the sun, vitamin D might be useful.

If you eat a ton of nuts and not a lot of wild fish, omega-3s might be useful.

If you're a woman with thyroid problems, iodine might be useful.

Otherwise, get it from your food.

(Note: I don't take any of the above.)

You gotta experiment to find out what works for you.
PM me with any questions about, well, anything! :)
Current challenge: Catspaw Starts Strong

Protein powder is useful if you lift weights and are trying to maintain a higher protein diet to build/maintain muscle whilst dieting and trying to lose weight (very high protein:calorie ratio). Milk is basically protein powder with a lower protein:calorie ratio (both Whey and Casein are milk-derived). Or vice versa, protein powder can almost be viewed as ultraskim milk, with the lactose taken out in addition to the fat (and calcium).

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 21,20, 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

Agreed. Food first.

I use protein powder post lifts b/c it's most convenient for me. But everything else is real food.

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

Yeah, same. I have protein powder shakes made with water after I lift weights just because they really help with my recovery. I don't feel as sore the next day if I've had a good shot of protein after my workout. And I find them to be pretty convenient breakfasts.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Take a multivitamin and some omega-3s if you're particularly worried. Don't trust anything that says "take this to maximize your gains" - it's probably trying to sell you something, possibly steroids.

Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving the body.

Blog | Pinterest | Fitocracy

Wow, guys! Thanks! You made me feel a lot better and less stupid. At first I told myself I didn't need supplements or anything and then my ex told me that I'd never get anywhere if I didn't take them and I shrugged him off, but then it started to nag at me. I eat "okay" but I'm definitely trying to get better. I was eating like crap with him because that's what we did. Now, I'm trying to get into shape to do Air Force Reserve and I need to lose at least 30 lbs of fat and my personal goal is to lose at least 45 lbs of fat and gain a ton of muscle. I've recently started lifting, though I can only bench press the bar.

I know quite a few people who use muscle milk post-workout so I was looking into that, and it seems that's what you all have recommended, too. Just a protein shake after working out and I should be okay. I've cut down some of my calorie intake and the rest I switched from greasy fast food and chips to chicken, eggs, fish (lots of fish... South Florida on the beach here.. Haha), veggies, fruits, & steak. Steak is my biggest weakness. Oh, and peanut butter. Heh.

My biggest obstacle is having a 3 year old and munching with him. He eats pretty healthy and really only likes fruits and veggies to snack on but sometimes he gets into candy (especially after visiting with grandma) and junk, and having that around doesn't help my willpower at all. I can avoid buying it at the store but if it's in the house my willpower falls apart.

Fitocracy! | Running Trainer | Facebook | Twitter | Current Challenge Blog!

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Wow, guys! Thanks! You made me feel a lot better and less stupid. At first I told myself I didn't need supplements or anything and then my ex told me that I'd never get anywhere if I didn't take them and I shrugged him off, but then it started to nag at me.

One look at spezzy (aka Staci's story) and you'll see that you can get pretty elite without all the supplement crap. She eats half a cow and a full pig every day (slightly joking) and a protein shake but that's it.

I'd leave out the protein shake for now just concentrate on your lifts and eating right first. :D

"Pull the bar like you're ripping the head off a god-damned lion" - Donny Shankle

Supplementation is for the most part an unregulated industry and is a very poor and unneeded substitute for real food (with the exception of fish oil and vitamin d because we no longer get as much as our bodies need). If you really feel the need for a protein shake or something else try eating a steak and lots of veggies, or chicken or mix up a shake with spinach and kale, plus whatever fruit you want.

Worse case senario maybe go with whey protein, but milk works a billion times better (vitamin d is fat soluble so get whole milk).

Well....

As much as I usually tend to agree with anyone, I personally would recommend extra calcium and iron, both of which women tend to be deficient in.

If it doesn't make you feel better now, you'll not regret it later in life.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

If you never go out in the sun, vitamin D might be useful.

If you eat a ton of nuts and not a lot of wild fish, omega-3s might be useful.

If you're a woman with thyroid problems, iodine might be useful.

(Note: I don't take any of the above.)

Actually there have been studies that suggest that the reason why squatting and milk act like steroids is because of something with Vitamin D intake after lifting. So I've been consuming 5000 IU everyday, taking it after workouts on workout days.

Omega-3, fish oil, should be taken regardless of who you are. It's good shit. I aim for 4-8 pills a day.

But the key word here is supplement. They're used to enhance and supplement your diet, not replace it, which I see so many idiots do.

But yeah, my short list of supplements are: multivitamin, b-complex, fish oil, cod liver oil, vitamin d, protein shakes.

My life. My dreams.

http://dreambigsquatbigger.blogspot.com Hey! I'm actually updating this thing now