Forums are back in action! ×

So, another new guy here. I've been looking over the site the last few days and have to say Steve has really done a great job putting all this together. Really look forward to the support and such in my quest to win my body back.

I suppose that some information about myself is in order. 

There was a time in my life when I was in much better shape. While I was never really fast I have always been on the stronger side, though I've never been much on lifting weights. Mostly I have worked at body weight exercises and such that I learned during my time as a soldier. Even then I was a little on the heavier side and had trouble keeping my body fat down. I now know that my eating habits had much to contribute to this issue.  My goal is to win my body back. At heart I am an adventurer. I find great joy in hiking and exploring the forest, traveling to other places and meeting new people. I have always wanted to tour the world and see distant lands. To accomplish such things I must first get healthy. 

After I left the military I stopped working out and kept eating. So now, 6 years later I've gone from 225lbs to 265lbs. Actually hit 273 a few months back. So I've made some progress, but I need help. Motivation, support and all that. The problem is that I am addicted to the American diet. Fried foods, chips, the multitude of bread products, oh and especially cake. Oh how I love a good cake. 

But it has to stop. Here I am at 37, 265lbs and starting to have trouble losing my breath just doing simple things. And now I'm starting to have symptoms of inflammatory arthritis. Just a few minutes ago I was trying to carve down a dowel to make a repair and my hands began to hurt so bad I had to quite. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!

So, here I am. I'm ready to change. Shortly I will be setting up goals and challenges and all that. Diet, exercise, lifestyle, all of it. It is time to change. Time to get m butt in gear and do something, not just talk about it. 

• Like 2

Starting with July I am cutting out all soda. I've gotten down to only one or two a week if that so it is not as big a step as it seems. I am also going to cut down junk food down to one day/ week and replacing it with healthier options such as nuts, fruit, veggies and such. Oh, and cut the sweet tea down to just one meal per day. Right now I drink it more than water. 

Exercise goals are to start working out 2x/ week until the next challenge starts. At that point I will increase workout goals. 

• Like 4

Hey, welcome on board! 

I I see you've already had a good look around the forum and found out about the Guilds and Challenges. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. 

The challenges are a great way to integrate into the community and make friends. They also help to keep you motivated. You've seen that the next one starts on the 17th, right? 

There is quite an emphasis on here on strength training with free weights, but you don't need to progress to barbell work if you enjoy bodyweight exercises. You should check out Waldo's website Strength Unbound to see what can be accomplished without ever going to a gym or lifting a barbell. His transformation photos are well with checking out!

gotta go! Battery is at 10%. Noooooooo! :onthego: 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

On 7/3/2016 at 4:19 PM, Guzzi said:

Hey, welcome on board! 

I I see you've already had a good look around the forum and found out about the Guilds and Challenges. If you need any help, don't be afraid to ask. 

The challenges are a great way to integrate into the community and make friends. They also help to keep you motivated. You've seen that the next one starts on the 17th, right? 

There is quite an emphasis on here on strength training with free weights, but you don't need to progress to barbell work if you enjoy bodyweight exercises. You should check out Waldo's website Strength Unbound to see what can be accomplished without ever going to a gym or lifting a barbell. His transformation photos are well with checking out!

gotta go! Battery is at 10%. Noooooooo! :onthego: 

Thanks for the welcome. I'm working on prepping myself for the next challenge, getting a plan of attack together and all that. As for the exercise, while I am more accustomed to body weight exercises I do not mind some free weight stuff. I'm a big fan of kettlebells. I have yet to find a better core strengthening tool, though I have put that sort of thing off for way to long. I also like doing deadlifts, rows, and such with the barbell. I'm just not a fan of traditional body building type weightlifting. 

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

If you like deadlifts and rows with the barbell, you may also wish to check out StrongLifts 5x5.  It is a beginner lifting program I am using myself that uses only 5 lifts (squat, bench press, rows, overhead press and deadlifts).  Even having built up to somewhat heavier weights (requiring long rest periods between sets) I am usually done in about an hour give or take a little.

• Like 1

B'ker Level 1 Half-elf Ranger  STR: 3  DEX: 3  CON: 3  INT: 3  WIS: 2  CHA: 2

Bker Survives December Challenge Tracking Spreadsheet

Walking to Mordor (2019) Spreadsheet

MyFitnessPal | FitBit | Instagram

Walking to Mordor 1879.44 miles/1779 miles

Mini Challenge:  Week 1:  | Week 2:  | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 |