Forums are back in action! ×

Increased appetite after removing soda

I recently stopped drinking soda, save maybe one a week. After doing that it seems that my appetite has grown a decent amount. I’m not sure if this is a physiological or psychological reaction to removing the soda. Instead of being hungry around noonish I’m finding myself usually hungry around 10 ish. I then find myself hungry again around 9 pm.

What do?

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

If you were drinking enough soda to keep your tummy feeling full, it may be that you need to drink more water or tea to "trick" yourself into thinking you're not hungry. If that doesn't help, there's no shame in having a snack before lunch. I usually keep some almonds, a piece of fruit, or a boiled egg handy to snack on. If you're hungry in the evening have a snack or eat your dinner later. I've heard that it's best if you're done eating about two hours before bed though, so that's something to keep in mind.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

soda has quite a few calories (about 250 for a can of regular) so your body might actually be asking to be fed more. do you currently track what you eat? if not, maybe give that a go...look at how many calories you're taking in...and then think about how many more you were taking in before kicking the soda habit.... like was said above, you may need to eat more snacks...or drink more water. it might also just be psychological. it's funny how we can have emotional attachments to certain foods. if you're already eating enough, then definitely listen to your body and try and figure out whether you are actually hungry...or if you just want to eat something because it's taking the place of drinking soda. it's a fine distinction sometimes but you'll get better at it over time.

I have been drinking a decent amount of water to help counteract the physical habbit of drinking soda. Doing some rough math I was probably drinking anwhere form 310-1240 calories worth of soda a day (that's why it's what i cut first out of my diet).

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains

Are you getting hungry around your usual soda-drinking times? If that's the case, it might just be that your body expects something to be there that it's not getting. Like AKLulu said, have a snack or some tea around the same time so you get the same sensation.

Never think of pain or danger or enemies a moment longer than is necessary to fight them. -Ayn Rand

Amongst those less skilled you can see all this energy escaping through contorted faces, gritted teeth and tight shoulders that consume huge

amounts of effort but contribute nothing to achieving the task.

Also, if you need something sweet-ish to drink to get you through, you might consider coconut water. I usually only drink it after a workout, but it's also my excuse to drink something sweet. I don't know what the calorie content is exactly, but if you're desperate, you might give it a shot.

Lulu : one that is remarkable or wonderful (it's in the dictionary, it must be true)

Battle LogPinterest | Twitter | Instagram

soda has quite a few calories (about 250 for a can of regular) so your body might actually be asking to be fed more. do you currently track what you eat? if not, maybe give that a go...look at how many calories you're taking in...and then think about how many more you were taking in before kicking the soda habit....

This, and habits are always a mongrel to kick so your body is probably giving you some reactions to the lack of sugar.