Forums are back in action! ×

Fitness Memery For Everyone!

Does anyone else find the "strong is the new skinny" memes a little unpalatable?

I wouldn't find them objectionable if they used pictures of strong women with a healthy bf% lifting weights and kicking ass, but it's always pictures of women who look like "physique models" in skintight clothing, showing off their well toned abs. That's not showing a healthy, strong woman, that's showing a woman with what is, for most people, an unattainable physical appearance and holding it up as being something to aspire to. 

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that having a low body fat percentage is unhealthy or "bad", but the whole idea of telling women that they *need* to look like fitness models is a bit demeaning. Women can be strong, healthy, fit and BEAUTIFUL without needing to fit into any stereotypical physical appearance. 

Id much rather see a shift towards "healthy is the new skinny." Am I a weirdo for thinking all that? :unsure: 

• Like 1

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously

Meh.  Skinny unattainable, abs unattainable, whatever.  I'd say of the two, the strong look is a bit better for several reasons, but I never considered memes a serious standard against which to measure myself, so it makes minimal difference to me what the model in them looks like.

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

True, but I think that for a lot of people the images that they see (in the media, on social media, etc) play a big role in shaping what they think of as "the norm" or as a standard which they judge themselves by.

Like you say, they're both unattainable but at least "strong" is better than "skinny." Unfortunately for many (young?) girls that means *looking* strong rather than actually *being* strong, so it just ends up being another false beauty ideal. I think it probably just adds up to eating very little and doing lots of ineffectual exercise (ineffective for building muscle mass at least) for many of the girls who share these types of memes. 

Meh, I dunno, maybe I'm just a grumpy old sod. :D 

Make Life Rue The Day                             Turning back the clock                                                Recipe book  14

Life is far too short to take seriously