Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

I was in the gym the other day and saw a guy doing full on Bro-Curls:

'curl weight...look in direction of arm that's curling'

I didn't think that was a real thing!

Bro, I didn't know you go to my gym, next time say hi!

• Like 2

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

After trying to turn around and do my squats facing away from the mirror (So I don't face plant into the mirror should I fall forward)... this makes sense.

Well with squats and deadlifts, I have found that mirrors are awful. When doing those kind of compound movements, the position of every part of your body is critical to hitting a good lift.  If you are squatting and then turning your head to see yourself in the mirror, you are going to likely throw something off.  When doing biceps curls, whether I look up, down, to the side, et cetera, it doesn't effect the motion in which I'm curling.

I always try to squat facing away from mirrors to avoid watching myself.  That's what recording my sets are for.

I have no mind muscle connection to any muscle on my back. I need a very flexible neck!

YES! This as well.  I often can't feel my lats in any exercise.  I've heard that it helps to have someone touch whatever muscle you are working during the reps.  I workout alone and wouldn't ask someone else at the gym to do that though lol

• Like 1

Bro, I didn't know you go to my gym, next time say hi!

Dammit!  That's the joke I always make in this thread!  But I took the trying to explain route.  A mistake that won't be made again!

Haha I STRONGLY doubt that. I don't think I do it for vanity reasons.  I have like absolutely no mind-muscle connection...whatsoever, so looking at my biceps when I'm curling helps me focus on getting a good squeeze.  I also will look in the mirror while doing cable pushdowns for my triceps for the same reasoning.

I do this too. Especially if I'm doing something with 2 dumbbells or a barbell. My left side wants to lag so I pretty much stare at it, willing it to move. Then old rightie will want to act weak so I have to give that side an "I'm watching you" glare as well.

im-watching-you-gif.gif

• Like 3

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

Well with squats and deadlifts, I have found that mirrors are awful. When doing those kind of compound movements, the position of every part of your body is critical to hitting a good lift.  If you are squatting and then turning your head to see yourself in the mirror, you are going to likely throw something off.  When doing biceps curls, whether I look up, down, to the side, et cetera, it doesn't effect the motion in which I'm curling.

I always try to squat facing away from mirrors to avoid watching myself.  That's what recording my sets are for.

YES! This as well.  I often can't feel my lats in any exercise.  I've heard that it helps to have someone touch whatever muscle you are working during the reps.  I workout alone and wouldn't ask someone else at the gym to do that though lol

Mirror is directly in front of me.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

Mirror is directly in front of me.

Yea, when I was lifting at the Y during my triathlon training, they had the mirror right in front too.  If possible, I usually try to move the hooks and the bar so that I'm facing away from the mirror.  Not sure how your set up is.

When I squat, or bench, or deadlift for that matter, I try to focus on one spot on the floor, ceiling or wall thru the entire set.  If there is a mirror in front of me, my eyes start checking my feet, my hand position, my deoth, people in the mirror, the cute girl in yoga shorts doing lunges, et cetera 

• Like 1

I do this too. Especially if I'm doing something with 2 dumbbells or a barbell. My left side wants to lag so I pretty much stare at it, willing it to move. Then old rightie will want to act weak so I have to give that side an "I'm watching you" glare as well.

im-watching-you-gif.gif

This made me laugh out loud.

My gym seriously has full-length mirrors on ALL FOUR FREAKING WALLS!  So I pretty much have to look in a mirror for all my lifts.  The nice thing is, I don't have to turn my head at all.  I can just look straight forward and still see useful information. 

the cute girl in yoga shorts doing lunges, et cetera 

This is also very common, and occasionally distracting.  

• Like 2

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

This is also very common, and occasionally distracting.  

My main gym for the past two years has been a hole in the wall (ground would be more accurate as its in the basement) gym with no TVs, limited cardio equipment and more specialty bars than machines.  For some reason females don't often workout there, at least not when I'm there.

And when I was at the Y, it was at 6am or so.  So all the ladies there were 65 minimum.  Few of those mom moms were looking right in their matching velour suits. Grandma could get it. 

• Like 2

Yea, when I was lifting at the Y during my triathlon training, they had the mirror right in front too.  If possible, I usually try to my the hooks and the bar so that I'm facing away from the mirror.  Not sure how your set up is.

When I squat, or bench, or deadlift for that matter, I try to focus on one spot on the floor, ceiling or wall thru the entire set.  If there is a mirror in front of me, my eyes start checking my feet, my hand position, my deoth, people in the mirror, the cute girl in yoga shorts doing lunges, et cetera 

I basically just get in a staring contest with myself. In my peripheral vision I can see when I broke parallel and start back up, but yeah the cute girl does get a little distracting, especially with her butterfly situps...

• Like 1

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

I don't have a mirror in my home gym, though I would like one. When I am at the real gym, I avoid squatting in front of a mirror. I get distracted by parts of me that have nothing to do with the exercise ("gah, that is a really unflattering roll when I bend like that") to the point where my form falls apart.

I've never heard that about having somebody touch the muscle you are focusing on. I wonder if it would work. I am afraid my husband would think it was a double entendre if I asked him to help me with that.

• Like 2

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

I don't have a mirror in my home gym, though I would like one. When I am at the real gym, I avoid squatting in front of a mirror. I get distracted by parts of me that have nothing to do with the exercise ("gah, that is a really unflattering roll when I bend like that") to the point where my form falls apart.

I've never heard that about having somebody touch the muscle you are focusing on. I wonder if it would work. I am afraid my husband would think it was a double entendre if I asked him to help me with that.

Lol and then it turns into a far more enjoyable form of cardio.  Win-win.

• Like 1

I was in the gym the other day and saw a guy doing full on Bro-Curls:

'curl weight...look in direction of arm that's curling'

I didn't think that was a real thing!

If there was no bicep-kissing involved, they weren't Full-On Bro-Curls

• Like 2

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

My main gym for the past two years has been a hole in the wall (ground would be more accurate as its in the basement) gym with no TVs, limited cardio equipment and more specialty bars than machines.  For some reason females don't often workout there, at least not when I'm there.

And when I was at the Y, it was at 6am or so.  So all the ladies there were 65 minimum.  Few of those mom moms were looking right in their matching velour suits. Grandma could get it.

I workout at a Y in the States and i'm often impressed by the quality of both the girls and boys that are there. Certainly a much higher calibre of people to gawp* at that at my usual overly fancy London gym.

* 2 different reasons for gawping of course. One is perviness and the other is jealousy

• Like 1

With the mirrors, when I squat it's full length right in front of me. But at my top weight I don't really register WHAT I'm looking at, I'm just aware in some peripheral way..I have bigger/heavier problems :P

• Like 2

The valiant never taste of death but once.

Battle Log:

100 Day Bench Press Challenge (64 Days)

Challenge: 1, 2

Estrix, level 1 Goblin Raider

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 3|WIS 3|CHA 2

You need to check your access list for your gym, maybe you need to fire your greeter.   :playful:

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

You need to check your access list for your gym, maybe you need to fire your greeter.   :playful:

Haha the lack of distraction has been nice.  Besides all the other annoyances at Planet Fitness, I could never quite focus on my lifts with a 23 year old hard body walking pass me.  Completely my fault, not hers, but training with my better half back in those days helped teach my eyes major self restraint

• Like 1

Haha the lack of distraction has been nice.  Besides all the other annoyances at Planet Fitness, I could never quite focus on my lifts with a 23 year old hard body walking pass me.  Completely my fault, not hers, but training with my better half back in those days helped teach my eyes major self restraint

Go ahead and go back to Planet Fitness.  Nowadays, they don't actually let people lift weights.  [puts on the burn suit]

• Like 5

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Go ahead and go back to Planet Fitness.  Nowadays, they don't actually let people lift weights.  [puts on the burn suit]

Lol my PF annoyances were more so about the groups of people that would work out together and take up all the machines and DBs.

I have no hate toward PF's desire not to allow chalk, deadlifting (at some locations), from what I remember my PF didn't have a squat rack, DBs that go over 100lbs, et cetera.  I'm not the person they want as a client, so there is no reason for them to cater to me.

Lol my PF annoyances were more so about the groups of people that would work out together and take up all the machines and DBs.

I have no hate toward PF's desire not to allow chalk, deadlifting (at some locations), from what I remember my PF didn't have a squat rack, DBs that go over 100lbs, et cetera.  I'm not the person they want as a client, so there is no reason for them to cater to me.

I"ve been seeing a ton of PF bumper stickers when I'm driving.  I'll admit, I try to pass them so I can judge their body.

• Like 3

Wheymen

I"ve been seeing a ton of PF bumper stickers when I'm driving.  I'll admit, I try to pass them so I can judge their body.

You sir, are quickly becoming my favorite nerd lol

• Like 3

I don't really mind PF either.  I actually have several friends that go to them.  They've just made themselves a super easy target to poke fun at for people who love the Big Lifts.  (Deadlifts!  Huzzah!)

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I don't really mind PF either.  I actually have several friends that go to them.  They've just made themselves a super easy target to poke fun at for people who love the Big Lifts.  (Deadlifts!  Huzzah!)

Oh yea, don't take my lack of hate toward PF as me saying you shouldn't make fun of the clientele lol.

You sir, are quickly becoming my favorite nerd lol

You bring out my natural humor.  

Wheymen