Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

Was at the gym last night with the wife and saw a girl that I used to go to school with. She was "squatting" the bar and 25s on each side. 95 total

Now i do "Squatting " because her feet were much wider than her shoulders, she would bend at the waist, then go down to the bottom of her thigh parallel to the ground, and then shove her butt out like she was doing a good morning. I attempted to help her out and critic her form a little bit (we got along in high school so I figured that might help)

Her response was "Well this is how my Ex taught me to squat, and he is a level 2 certified Crossfit Coach, what certifications do you have?"

I put my headphones back in and proceeded to squat 205 for 6 reps with near perfect form ATG too.

I took the headphones out and said "That’s my certification. IF you want to destroy your back and knees due to no full range of mobility, go right ahead."

Put the headphones back in and proceeded to deadlift loudly next to her

That made me smile.

• Like 2

In the gym I was doing dumbbell rows on one of the benches when a guy sits on the bench to the left of mine. After a couple of minutes I'm mid-set rowing a dumbbell on the left side of the bench, this guy grabs a dumbbell from the rack (one of those long racks that go across the wall), and starts rowing it, but instead of using the bench that he's decided to take up by sitting on it between sets, he uses the rack. Now, normally I find doing whatever dumbbell lift you're doing from the rack irritating enough, just move the weight about 5 feet to a bench or space of floor and get out of everyone's way, you dickhole. But this guy had one hand on the rack, the other hand rowing the dumbbell, and his feet spread out as widely as possible, one of his feet was placed next to the foot I had planted on the ground on the inside of my leg. When I finished the set for that side, I went to switch to the other side and nearly tripped on his leg, at which point he gives me a look like I just spat on his mother's face, and maintained this for most of the 10 more minutes he was there.

I sometimes do my DB rows on the rack, but I also usually work out at 6am when there is at most 3 people in the gym and I'm not in anyone's way.

I sometimes do my DB rows on the rack, but I also usually work out at 6am when there is at most 3 people in the gym and I'm not in anyone's way.

+ know one is going to say shit to big guy like you.   :playful:

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Was at the gym last night with the wife and saw a girl that I used to go to school with. She was "squatting" the bar and 25s on each side. 95 total

Now i do "Squatting " because her feet were much wider than her shoulders, she would bend at the waist, then go down to the bottom of her thigh parallel to the ground, and then shove her butt out like she was doing a good morning. I attempted to help her out and critic her form a little bit (we got along in high school so I figured that might help)

Her response was "Well this is how my Ex taught me to squat, and he is a level 2 certified Crossfit Coach, what certifications do you have?"

I put my headphones back in and proceeded to squat 205 for 6 reps with near perfect form ATG too.

I took the headphones out and said "That’s my certification. IF you want to destroy your back and knees due to no full range of mobility, go right ahead."

Put the headphones back in and proceeded to deadlift loudly next to her

Sounds like a Low Bar to me

p189091660-3.jpg.

she wasn't that close to parallel and her back was almost parallel. but the bar (with a pad) was up on her neck

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Went to the gym for a HIIT session tonight and the number of people I saw lackadaisically going through the motions on machines while playing on their phones was phenomenal, I mean, I was in there for 30 minutes tops and I came out sweating and cursing but at least I knew that I'd worked hard and maximised my time in there!

Makes me so angry!

• Like 1

she wasn't that close to parallel and her back was almost parallel. but the bar (with a pad) was up on her neck

Probably why he's now an ex. Bad communication. Haha

I wouldn't go so far as to saying it destroys backs and knees though; that's probably how all the "squats are bad for your knees" talk started. We're all equally exposed to the same misinformation, and I really can't blame her for asking for a certification. I'd probably ask that jacked old man with the calm voice and the paddington bear hat telling people on Youtube not to squat for credentials if he started talking to me, in the same way that if I wanted to have my wisdom tooth pulled I would want a licensed dentist to do it and not just some guy who happened to have really straight, clean teeth and can floss like a champ.

• Like 3

Probably why he's now an ex. Bad communication. Haha

I wouldn't go so far as to saying it destroys backs and knees though; that's probably how all the "squats are bad for your knees" talk started. We're all equally exposed to the same misinformation, and I really can't blame her for asking for a certification. I'd probably ask that jacked old man with the calm voice and the paddington bear hat telling people on Youtube not to squat for credentials if he started talking to me, in the same way that if I wanted to have my wisdom tooth pulled I would want a licensed dentist to do it and not just some guy who happened to have really straight, clean teeth and can floss like a champ.

I think altering how you do a movement right there and then because somebody in the gym tells you so would be foolish, if it were me I'd wait til I got home and then Google form to see what the guy was talking about. Them again, I've googled form on pretty much every exercise at one point or another.

• Like 2

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I think altering how you do a movement right there and then because somebody in the gym tells you so would be foolish, if it were me I'd wait til I got home and then Google form to see what the guy was talking about. Them again, I've googled form on pretty much every exercise at one point or another.

Plus if someone told me to change what I was doing I'd be a bit put out by it, even if I was going to take a look later on

So before I tell this moderately interesting tale I should provide a little background. There are many songs in my gym playlist that make me laugh whenever I hear them, I could be at my mum's funeral on leg day and they'd still make me laugh, usually because they're associated with a particular memory. I was doing some curls, and in the squat rack next to mine (kidding) there was this guy who was doing hammer curls superset with bicep curls. The bicep curls were okay in form, he had a weight he could handle (two 14kgs) and there was only a little "cheating" going on. As for the hammer curls, no, just no. He'd picked out two 24kgs for some reason, and with each rep his shoulder came up, his back went back to like a 45 degree angle, and the dumbbell barely made it to 90 degrees. I thought, whatever, just pretend he's not there. But immediately as I started to look away from him a song started playing in my headphones, the song, if you're interested, was Stay Another Day by East 17, a song that always makes me laugh when it comes on. So to this guy, I looked over at him doing his exercises, laughed to myself, and looked away. In case it wasn't obvious enough to me what I had done, he shot me dirty looks for the next ten minutes or so.

Anyway, the doctors say the impact of the dumbbell probably broke a rib or two :)

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

Giving criticism is an art. And some people can take advice really well, while some are just assholes about it.

Went to the gym for a HIIT session tonight and the number of people I saw lackadaisically going through the motions on machines while playing on their phones was phenomenal, I mean, I was in there for 30 minutes tops and I came out sweating and cursing but at least I knew that I'd worked hard and maximised my time in there!

Makes me so angry!

Obitim SMASH!

• Like 1

Tomu-san - Level 3 HalfOgre Ranger

[ STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 8 | WIS 6 | CHA 2 ]

Spoiler

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."

- Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

"I came here to drink milk and kick ass. And I've just finished my milk."

- Maurice Moss

I am a TA. I am the one hounding the students. In the class, if you don't get APA citation correctly, you get 2 points deducted out of 20 (Prof's policy, not mine.) :tongue:

The trick is: you use Google Scholar and click the 'cite' link. Then just copy the style you want and paste... Or you can use free reference software available for your University purchases.

Okay, now I really sound like a TA. I should stop now.

I sure could have used this info working on my Master's thesis.
  • Like 1

OtakuBosatsu

Level 1 Lycan. Druid/Monk at heart, training with the Assassins
STR 7|DEX 5.75|STA 4|CON 3|WIS 3.75|CHA 3

My blog, "Zen, Music, and Movement": http://raffyayaladvo.wordpress.com/

Whats wrong with sprinting on treadmills!?

I took 8 minutes off my 10k time in 3 months by doing it.

I find treadmills don't lend themselves well to true "sprints", because they ramp up and down too slowly, and one can't truly do much "sprinting" work, because I'm going to have to ramp down before I actually reach top speed(or as soon as I get there), and worse yet not being able to decelerate as quickly as I'd like from a sprint increases the risk of a mishap.

On the other hand, treadmills are damn useful for intervals.  400/800 meter repeats on the treadmill are a cornerstone of my winter running.

"Restlessness is discontent - and discontent is the first necessity of progress. Show me a thoroughly satisfied man-and I will show you a failure." -Thomas Edison