Forums are back in action! ×

Overheard in the gym - Share!

My BMI is a little south of the dadbod sweet spot

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/05/11/do-you-have-a-dad-bod-this-flow-chart-will-tell-you/

As a Runner and a Cyclist, I consider that to be a good thing

I'm at the high end of dad bod... except I don't really have the arms to transmit the "I have muscles" message... so I don't think I work.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

My battle Log: Insanity: Warrior Monk

Honorary Ranger dubbed by DarK_RaideR, 1000 Pound club (875 of 1000)

No, this implies that any dad which a great physique is not a good father/husband/provider. That is not true.

Of course not, that would only be the case if the whole dadbod thing was grounded in logic, which I think it's fairly apparent it isn't.

• Like 1

Follow me on snapchat or instagram @ catintherack

Squat: 115kg

Bench: 77.5kg

Deadlift: 130kg

Total: 322.5kg

Weight: 68kg

I think it depends on a persons priorities and responsibilities. I want to be in good shape, plus I'm a student with no real responsibilities outside of keeping myself alive, so if I had a "dadbod" it would be due to laziness or lack of motivation. ...But take a 40 year old man with a job and wife and kids and whatnot, if he had a dadbod it would be because he has to work and look after his family, for him to have a great physique would just demonstrate his priorities aren't in order.

Cr4EySO.gif

Seriously, if anyone ever suggested my physique showed I was a neglectful parent I would press them over the nearest wall.

• Like 3

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

Cr4EySO.gif

Seriously, if anyone ever suggested my physique showed I was a neglectful parent I would press them over the nearest wall.

I think I should have clarified, that's what I'm saying the assumption of the dadbod is. That a dad should be devoting too much time to his family to be able to go to the gym every day and focus on being super healthy, at least that's what I think the idea is, I'm still not 100% sure why dadbods are suddenly everywhere. In reality of course there's no reason someone can't be both a parent and in shape, and there are probably a lot of people with "dadbods" who use the excuse of being too busy being a dad to go to the gym, much like how I know a ton of students who use exams as an excuse to not go to the gym, though obviously we students probably have more free time than most of the population so maybe that's a poor comparison.

I'm still not 100% sure why dadbods are suddenly everywhere.

Some girl had a boyfriend that looked better than she did, so she wrote an essay trying to make guys think chicks dig dadbods because they're sexy and not because they don't want their boyfriends being the better looking one in the relationship.

"Insanity - you make my world a better place man, you really do! That shit is awesome! :D" - Guzzi-

My first challenge

I think I should have clarified, that's what I'm saying the assumption of the dadbod is. That a dad should be devoting too much time to his family to be able to go to the gym every day and focus on being super healthy, at least that's what I think the idea is, I'm still not 100% sure why dadbods are suddenly everywhere. In reality of course there's no reason someone can't be both a parent and in shape, and there are probably a lot of people with "dadbods" who use the excuse of being too busy being a dad to go to the gym, much like how I know a ton of students who use exams as an excuse to not go to the gym, though obviously we students probably have more free time than most of the population so maybe that's a poor comparison.

I like that you clarified. 

I think as a parent, being in shape should be a priority - not only to keep you healthy to be there for your kids, but also setting an example to your children.

Does it take time away from my kids to go to the gym? Sure, so I encourage them to come with me (now that they are at the age that they can). If they don't want to, that's fine; but it's less time away from them than (and I'm totally generalizing here) sitting down with my friends to drink beer and watch football.

I will be the first to admit I let myself go after I had my kids. Is a mombod (is that a thing too?) possibly the best I'm going to get? Maybe - but my kids will see me work my hardest to get the best one I can.

• Like 4

Given how fast the dadbod thing is spreading I think it's only a matter of time before someone retaliates by trying to start a mombod thing.

Already done... http://www.buzzfeed.com/alisoncaporimo/mombods

That article has been radically altered though, it used to be a pretty immature retaliation to the dadbod thing... the second set of comments will give you a pretty good idea of how the article used to look...

Kris Heenk · Top Commenter · Buena Park, California

And this article helps to prove what is wrong with the world today.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the women who have shared photos of themselves. Good for them.

But the fact that there were people out there who felt so threatened by the existence of #dadbod that they needed to to start #mombad as a form of retaliation/reciprocation is sad (this article literally calls the new hashtag a "#dadbod takedown" [EDIT -- Which they have since removed from the article. Coincidence?]).

The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive, they can in fact coexist because the existence of one doesn't negate the existence of the other, and it is the petty and insecure who view either one as an attack on the other. #dadbod isn't a "disservice" to moms, like the quote in the article claims, nor is it "an insult" to dads who are more fit (or are attempting to be). It is simply another alternative. [EDIT -- They've also removed these quotes from the article. But does pretending they weren't there negate them as part of the reason for the creation of the article?]

If you have to declare #dadbod as being "so yesterday" in order to feel better about yourself, then you've got bigger problems than what can be solved by the #mombod hashtag.

• Like 2

My first challenge

It'll add pounds. It's one of the fixes I always point out to people. Clench the butt, clench the quads, as hard as you can.

Glad to hear this... As I mentioned, I just started OHP, and to be honest, I was really disappointed with how little I could do to start. I DL 270, Bench 150, and single arm row with 95...I feel pretty darn strong, and figured now that I am working out outside I may as well incorporate some over the head stuff. 

I did some warm ups sets with 70, then added a couple more 25# plates and failed miserably. Dropped back down to 110 and that was the best I could do, even then it was a hard struggle. 

• Like 1

Currently lost in Fitness.

The two things don't have to be mutually exclusive, they can in fact coexist because the existence of one doesn't negate the existence of the other, and it is the petty and insecure who view either one as an attack on the other. #dadbod isn't a "disservice" to moms, like the quote in the article claims, nor is it "an insult" to dads who are more fit (or are attempting to be). It is simply another alternative. [EDIT -- They've also removed these quotes from the article. But does pretending they weren't there negate them as part of the reason for the creation of the article?]

If you have to declare #dadbod as being "so yesterday" in order to feel better about yourself, then you've got bigger problems than what can be solved by the #mombod hashtag.

Why can't we just say #uglybody because 96% of human bodys are at least for one person on this planet ugly.

I mean honestly what comes next? #CrackWhoreBody #HomelessBody #Leglessbody #IJustDon'tCareAboutSportOrHealthyFoodBody #IAmALazyPiceOfShitWhoJustTriesToJustifyMyLazinessBody

You have child and you are fat = You are fat

You have a child and you are thin = You are thin

You are fit and have a child = You are fit

You have a child, you are fat but you are running marathons = You are a fat marathonrunner

If you want more Hashtags just ask I am on a roll right now

• Like 3

Why can't we just say #uglybody because 96% of human bodys are at least for one person on this planet ugly.

I mean honestly what comes next? #CrackWhoreBody #HomelessBody #Leglessbody #IJustDon'tCareAboutSportOrHealthyFoodBody #IAmALazyPiceOfShitWhoJustTriesToJustifyMyLazinessBody

You have child and you are fat = You are fat

You have a child and you are thin = You are thin

You are fit and have a child = You are fit

You have a child, you are fat but you are running marathons = You are a fat marathonrunner

If you want more Hashtags just ask I am on a roll right now

Let's just call it #acceptancemovement and all go back to the gym
  • Like 2

Have a Snickers, dude

I'm curious to see where he goes with this.  So, not yet.  

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

I'm curious, and also want to see if there's anything to talk about other than dadbod, so just a quick deadlift question. At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip? In my workouts I've been using double overhand until I can't manage the weight and then switching to mixed. The highest I've gotten is a set of 5 for 110kg with DO grip, 130kg for 3 with mixed.

When I first started lifting around 9 months ago I had a PT, he wasn't terrible but in hindsight he wasn't great, and he had me use only mixed grip for deadlifts, made it hard to get out of the habit.

I'm curious, and also want to see if there's anything to talk about other than dadbod, so just a quick deadlift question. At what point do y'all switch to a mixed grip? In my workouts I've been using double overhand until I can't manage the weight and then switching to mixed. The highest I've gotten is a set of 5 for 110kg with DO grip, 130kg for 3 with mixed.

When I first started lifting around 9 months ago I had a PT, he wasn't terrible but in hindsight he wasn't great, and he had me use only mixed grip for deadlifts, made it hard to get out of the habit.

I typically do exactly what you do.  I'll use DO as long as I can, and switch to mixed for whatever is left.  I've been doing SL5x5 in the past, and would usually get 3-4 sets with DO, then switch to mixed for the last 1-2 sets.  Currently my max for 5x5 Deads is 230#.   (edit: roughly 106kg.  I like pounds better.  saying "106" sounds weak to me.  lol)

=================================================

Backtracking a little, am I the only one who just frankly doesn't give two shits about dadbod?  Seriously, before this thread I didn't even know it was a thing, and I haven't clicked a single link for it either.  Who gives a shit what stereotypical body someone has as long as the bar goes up? 

• Like 3

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I'm still using double overhand at 285 lbs, 1x5... which is about 129kg

• Like 2

My first challenge

I typically do exactly what you do.  I'll use DO as long as I can, and switch to mixed for whatever is left.  I've been doing SL5x5 in the past, and would usually get 3-4 sets with DO, then switch to mixed for the last 1-2 sets.  Currently my max for 5x5 Deads is 230#.  

=================================================

Backtracking a little, am I the only one who just frankly doesn't give two shits about dadbod?  Seriously, before this thread I didn't even know it was a thing, and I haven't clicked a single link for it either.  Who gives a shit what stereotypical body someone has as long as the bar goes up? 

I only like it because it's funny to me to see people trying to justify certain things. In this case, laziness...

• Like 2

My first challenge

Have you tried doing any grip strength training? I picked up some FatGripz and love them. They hurt my arms so good cause they increase the bar girth making your arms work more to hold the bar. your weight will drop for what you can handle but it will cause your grip strength to skyrocket

• Like 1

Level 0 Human, Monk

82%
82%
Lose 75 lbs

Startin Fresh

"Nothing is ever easy." Zeddicus Zull Zorander

"Do or Do Not, There is no try" Yoda

"Weak people face life obstacles with an excuse in their hand, strong peple carry a hammer."

Estemated 1RM

Bench: 195lbs

Squat: 245lbs

Deadlift: 295lbs

Total weight: 735lbs

Goal Weight 1000lbs

Have you tried doing any grip strength training? I picked up some FatGripz and love them. They hurt my arms so good cause they increase the bar girth making your arms work more to hold the bar. your weight will drop for what you can handle but it will cause your grip strength to skyrocket

I'll second working grip strength.  It's something I currently work on at least once a week, usually by holding smooth dumbbells by the ends for time.  Up to 20 pounds per hand for 30-45 seconds.  But I have big hands so that might not work for everyone.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™